Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LSC BMW AutoX School March 3rd 2012

Default LSC BMW AutoX School March 3rd 2012

Spaces Are Limited!!!!! 20 Students per class!!!!! Only $50.00 per student!!!!!

Registration ends Monday, February 27th!!!!

http://www.dlbracing.com/default.aspx Choose "Calendar View," and go to March 3rd to register.

Lone Star Chapter’s BMWCCA Beginner/Intermediate AutoX School is Saturday, March 3rd at the Mineral Wells Airport.

This course is geared towards the Novice Autocrosser. Learning the proper techniques early will be of huge benefit, and will help students advance much quicker in the sport.

Registration will be limited to twenty students. With a low Instructor-Student ratio, each student will have a lot of one on one instruction. Students will definitely learn a lot, and taking notes is highly encouraged.

Each student will be assigned two instructors. One for the morning session, and one for the afternoon. The instructors will ride throughout the day with the student, encouraging proper techniques, and helping them improve their lap times.

The morning session will include proper seating position, hand position, acceleration/braking, and learning to navigate properly through an AutoX course. During the afternoon session, students will learn how to read a course quicker, helping lap times drop faster. Students will have many, many laps during the day, and improvements will be evident in their recorded lap times. Students will be a much faster driver after only one day of instruction!

BMW has also secured special hotel rates at the Days Inn and Suites. This is the newest, and nicest hotel in Mineral Wells. The nightly rate is $72.95, and sharing a room for $36.50 per person is very economical. Their number is (940) 468-2727, and be sure to mention Lone Star BMW when you register.

Please feel free to email me with any questions, and I have also included a small FAQ below.

-Michael

[email protected]

Our first event is the following Sunday, March 4th at the Mineral Wells Airport!!!!!

Q: I’m totally new to this. How will I know what to do?
    A: During our school, you will have an instructor in the car to answer any question, and to provide feedback.

Q: Do I need a specially prepared race car?
    A: No, your normal street car is fine, as long as you have clean brake fluid, good brake pads, and decent street tires. Racing tires are not used at this school.

Q: Do I need a helmet?
    A: Yes, helmets are required. Please make sure you have made arrangements for a helmet, in case you don’t own one already.

Q: Where is the class held?
    A: This class is held at the Mineral Wells Airport, in Mineral Wells TX.

Q: Is it safe?
    A: Yes, we follow strict guidelines to ensure you have the safest experience possible while learning to drive your car at its limits.

Q: How long is the class?
    A: Plan on a full day. We will start at 8am and finish around 5pm.

Driver

I'm there!

I hope there's still a spot open when I get paid.

Do you have to sign up for the autox the next day to go to the school?

Quote Originally Posted by p4R4d0x View Post
    I hope there's still a spot open when I get paid.

Do you have to sign up for the autox the next day to go to the school?
    You don't have to, no.

Will you want to? Yes!

I'll have an announcement regarding the 2012 Season when I post up the information for our first AutoX.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRated167 View Post
    You don't have to, no.

Will you want to? Yes!
    I will definitely want to, but I have midterms the week after this.

Registered! First one, too. Hooray

How novice is this class?? I've autocrossed a few seasons, but it was in a fwd and 5 years ago. Needless to say I need some good instruction, but I'm not a 'novice' either.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Driver

I'm not a novice so much,but I'm doing it for seat time, last year it was pretty fun and informative,

Novice definitley doesn't mean rookie in this case. Last year there were a number of veteran autocrossers who said the school was really helpful. Even if you've attended a lot of events, you rarely get the opportunity to focus on a specific skill and repeat it with instruction until you master it. That's the real benefit here, in addition to learning the basics and being evaluated objectively.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

^ Good to know. That's what I was thinking, just wanted to clarify.

I'm 90% sure i'll be there. Do we need to pay at registration, or on the day of?

One question. By that time, God willing, i'll have a brand new set of 225 RS3s in my garage. Should I take the class on my slippery falken 912s, or go ahead and mount the fresh RS3s? I know you learn good habits controlling less grippy tires, but these 912s are awful on course.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

MW is rough on tires, and you are gonna get a large amount of seat time. I'd burn through the old tires.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

My current set of street tires have 51 runs at Mineral Wells, plus another 88 runs at other venues. It's not all that bad on street tires. The real problem is R-comps, especially Hoosiers.

For maximum benefit of the class, I'd run on my good tires. The teaching elements aren't as bad as full-course runs, and I agree with JRJ that MW isn't as tough on street tires as it is on r-comps.

Running on crap tires will prevent you from experiencing the cars handling at higher grip limits, where you hope to be when racing. Yes, old tires can help with learning skid control, but things like slaloms and sweepers will feel totally different on the RS3's.

As an example, I ran 4 seconds (38.xxx vs 34.xxx) slower on the PMS course last weekend when I did a final run on my V12 street tires instead of the RS3's from the previous runs. Same tire size, same wheel size. I had to drive completely differently to keep the car pointing the proper direction.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    My current set of street tires have 51 runs at Mineral Wells, plus another 88 runs at other venues. It's not all that bad on street tires. The real problem is R-comps, especially Hoosiers.
    Race slicks are even worse. I practically corded a set at a TT, but they were about halfway when I started and I did about 36 laps

Quote Originally Posted by TxCoyote View Post
    Race slicks are even worse. I practically corded a set at a TT, but they were about halfway when I started and I did about 36 laps
    I was with you till the last bit, now you have ZERO sympathy. Meesh!
    Polished Turd Racing

I got 90 runs out of my Z1's on the Evo and a few thousand daily miles (~6k), 58 of the the 90 autox runs were at MW. My tires are currently at 1/32-3/32. If you drive hard there, you will see extended wear.

Then again if you drive conservative there, it kind of defeats the point!
    2008 Evolution GSR

strathound

In the FAQ above, it says that you just need clean brake fluid, good brake pads and "decent street tires". Is there a minimum amount of tread that will be expected on the tires. I've got decent tread left, but I haven't measured it to see how much is still there. Is there a bare minimum they will look for?

Thanks,

Michael

So long as no cords are showing and they are not dry-rotted, pretty much any tread will pass tech inspection. Unless its wet, tread depth isn't too much of a concern. My rule-of-thumb for how much is enough (tread): would you let your significant-other drive them across town?
    Polished Turd Racing

strathound

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    So long as no cords are showing and they are not dry-rotted, pretty much any tread will pass tech inspection. Unless its wet, tread depth isn't too much of a concern. My rule-of-thumb for how much is enough (tread): would you let your significant-other drive them across town?
    Ok, cool. Yeah, they definitely have enough to drive around town. Probably at 1/2 tread right now. I might make this event. Still checking to see if my daughter's softball team will be playing that weekend. If not, I'll be there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast