Thread: Silicone Wiper Blades

Default Silicone Wiper Blades

I need to get new wiper blades. Anyone try the silicone wiper blades? Are the worth the extra cost? Any preferred brand? Looks like there are three common manufacturers, PIAA, Triple Edge and Siliblade.

I've seen mixed reviews online.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I run the PIAA blades on the black Miata. They work as good as the best wipers out there and last longer in the Texas UV. Worth the money? Barely.

I just run whatever blades and when they start to get iffy, give them a fresh silicone treatment (be careful to thoroughly remove excess). There's enough silicate floating in the air most of the year that wipers are more prone to abrasive damage than UV damage.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Best blades I've every had. It is more than the blade itself. The common blade has several 'pressure points' and the silicone blade has one continuous spine that apply pressure more evenly to the contact surface with the glass. I catch them on sale at Costco and they cost the same as the old tech blades!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    Best blades I've every had. It is more than the blade itself. The common blade has several 'pressure points' and the silicone blade has one continuous spine that apply pressure more evenly to the contact surface with the glass. I catch them on sale at Costco and they cost the same as the old tech blades!
    Plus some RainX. Best combo IMHO.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I'm using PIAA but not on the miata. I like them a lot but they do seem to streak (it dissipates after a short period; couple seconds). I find rainX amplifies this streaking. I used to be a big fan of rainX but now I'm a fan of aquapel. I used aquapel instead of the PIAA provided stuff. Don't know which is better. I'm betting aquapel lasts longer. Not sure yet if the blades are worth the cost. I'm leaning toward yes due to the enhanced visibility in the rain. Jury is out on longevity.
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

I use the Valeo Ultimates. They are pricy in my size (24" and 20") but Tire Rack perodically has them on a buy 1 get 1 free promo. http://www.tirerack.com/wipers/detai...66&brand=Valeo
    They work great and last at least 3 years in the blazing TX heat. I replaced the first set when they got a few streaks, still functional, but they were on promo again. Still have them in case of emergency/theft.
    Just checked and they are cheaper (as much as 50%) then the PIAA's.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP