Thread: WTB 1.8 engine

Default WTB 1.8 engine

As the title states, I would like to purchase a 1.8 engine. email me at pandaboy50 (at) gmail.com

I hope you're not having issues with one currently in your car. That would suck.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    I hope you're not having issues with one currently in your car. That would suck.
    He's going to go for a 1.6-1.8 swap I believe
    '94 Miata "M Edition" - sold
    '99 Miata w/td05

I am having issues. I checked my oil dipstick a couple of days ago and found that it was nearly dry. I hypothesize I am slowly burning oil. I figure use this opportunity to swap for a 1.8.

Mine does the same thing. I'm sure this isn't good but I usually put more oil in when I start getting HLA noise from low oil. My car doesn't smoke at all but I am leaking from the rear seal I believe. Very slow though.
    '94 Miata "M Edition" - sold
    '99 Miata w/td05

I have already poured more oil in. I don't know if I'm leaking oil, rather I think I'm burning oil. I don't see great plumes of smoke when I drive around though. It's very odd. Also, in stop and go traffic, my oil temperature gauge gets pretty high. Almost at 3 o'clock!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pandaboy50 View Post
    I have already poured more oil in. I don't know if I'm leaking oil, rather I think I'm burning oil. I don't see great plumes of smoke when I drive around though. It's very odd. Also, in stop and go traffic, my oil temperature gauge gets pretty high. Almost at 3 o'clock!!!
    Did you add a oil temp gauge to your car? If so what temperature is "3 o'clock"? BTW all cars burn some oil. How much oil is yours using?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

I got an oil change maybe 1000 miles ago. I had to pour in two quarts. I have not added an oil temp gauge.

Driver

So u mean oil pressure gauge then?

what oil are you using, how many miles on the engine
    95 r white

Mobile 1 syn about 140k

I have a 1.8 out of a '96 that I might be willing to sell. It was pulled about 4 years ago out of a running Miata with about 120k on it that had been rear ended. I think I have a new water pump and a few other bits and pieces that I could include with it for the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by pandaboy50 View Post
    Mobile 1 syn about 140k
    That is most likely your problem right there. If that motor has not always had synthetic oil in it then you need to switch back to dyno oil. Why are you using synthetic in that motor anyway?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

I honestly have no idea why I put synthetic in. I wish I could rationalize it for you. D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    That is most likely your problem right there. If that motor has not always had synthetic oil in it then you need to switch back to dyno oil. Why are you using synthetic in that motor anyway?
    I think that's an urban legend. I've switched just about every car I've ever owned over to synthetic and I've never had a problem with leaking/using oil.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds