Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Shaft OR U-Joint ?

Default Bad Shaft OR U-Joint ?

I've been noticing my car has been squeaking lately, in reverse when i let the clutch out its squeak.. squeak...squeak... squeak...

Or if i mash the gas and let off real quick and let the car jerk back i will sometimes hear a squeak, its more noticeable in reverse, i went under the car and lubricated both ends of the drive-shaft with wd-40 and it seemed to have NO Effect on making the squeak go away.

My Miata is a 99 with about 140,000 miles on it and is a 5 speed.

Does the sound related to the drive-shaft?, and does anyone local have one i can buy if so ?

Its embarrassing driving around squeaking everywhere
    99 Miata NB (Daily), 91 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (Toy)

Drive shaft would cause vibrations. Have you checked the CV axles? Does the noise go away after you hit a specific speed or is it constant? Does it get fast as the car goes faster?
    '94 Miata "M Edition" - sold
    '99 Miata w/td05

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Drive shaft would cause vibrations. Have you checked the CV axles? Does the noise go away after you hit a specific speed or is it constant? Does it get fast as the car goes faster?
    I don't really notice the sound when the car is moving, only sometimes on gear changes and when taking off from 1st or reverse.

Maybe the slave cylinder is squeeking when you press the clutch? you would probably notice that though.
    '99 Miata w/td05

I'd first try to establish whether or not it is caused by the vehicle moving or is isolated to the drivetrain. Put the car on a lift/jack stands and see if you can replicate it without actually going anywhere. Then I'd start looking for the source (need two people for this.) Might be early stages of a dry or dying throwout bearing.

FYI - WD40 isn't really a lube, and can actually loosen/wash out the real grease in your u-joint bearing caps. It has some lubricating properties, but is really intended to free stuck/rusty parts and dry wet parts.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I'd first try to establish whether or not it is caused by the vehicle moving or is isolated to the drivetrain. Put the car on a lift/jack stands and see if you can replicate it without actually going anywhere. Then I'd start looking for the source (need two people for this.) Might be early stages of a dry or dying throwout bearing.

FYI - WD40 isn't really a lube, and can actually loosen/wash out the real grease in your u-joint bearing caps. It has some lubricating properties, but is really intended to free stuck/rusty parts and dry wet parts.

When i reverse, The squeak increases as my speed increases with the sound of the car.

With the car not in gear, (Neutral) the car will never make the squeak. Only when rolling in gear it will, most noticeable when taking off from 1st &, reversing.

Hmm. Still might try jacking up the rear tires ans trying to make the noise in reverse. At least you can get under the car (jack stands!!) and try to isolate the source.
    Polished Turd Racing

So your moving in reverse and it is squeeking. You put the clutch in and the car is still moving and in gear. Does the noise go away?
    '99 Miata w/td05

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Hmm. Still might try jacking up the rear tires ans trying to make the noise in reverse. At least you can get under the car (jack stands!!) and try to isolate the source.
    Agreed. I need to do the same for a whisking noise. I put all four on jackstands for something like this. Be very careful and easy on the throttle.

So your moving in reverse and it is squeeking. You put the clutch in and the car is still moving and in gear. Does the noise go away?
    As im releasing the clutch as its reversing it makes the noise.

When the clutch is out all the way, in gear, in reverse, while rolling, it does not squeak.

Is it more prominent on one side vs another, or is it center? Could it possibly be coming from a wheel? My minivan is making a squeak like that only in reverse and I think it's a loose brake spring letting the pad drag when rolling in reverse, haven't had a free minute to check.
    Might get lucky, that's an easy / cheap fix.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Driver
    Blog Entries
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

If it's the u-joint it would make the noise as long as the rear wheels are spinning. That is the only way it will be turning. The noise only happens when the clutch is engaged which means it's probably the slave sylinder squeeking when it moves or the clutch pedal I think. Grease the slave up and see if it goes away
    '99 Miata w/td05

Grease the slave up
    We like to call it The Gimp.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    We like to call it The Gimp.

I doubt its the slave, i changed it last year

and it will still squeak in reverse when my clutch is let out.

it sounds like its coming the rear of the car on the driver-side, but for all i know it could be the middle.

Maybe your rear brake pads are too loose/missing the clips, so they have to shift a little when you reverse. Not likely, but possible.

Throwout bearing would sound the same in either fwd or reverse.
    Polished Turd Racing

+1 on brake pads.. they may be just getting to the wear point that the tab starts rubbing.
    95 r white

Quote Originally Posted by patf View Post
    +1 on brake pads.. they may be just getting to the wear point that the tab starts rubbing.
    I changed them and the rear rotors like 6 months ago.

For such a reliable car, it seems every-time i fix something, two more things go wrong for me to fix.

Please watch video, got sound of what the car is doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1A6P...JnIPKj7BMcTWk=

Sounds like the clutch friction surface. My spec metal clutch squeals on engagement but its a different sound, more like a tuning fork. It could also be a popped hub working on the plate finger springs.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast