Thread: smartphone without ATT data plan?

Chassis Designer

Default smartphone without ATT data plan?

I've read little parts and pieces that it's possible to buy a non-ATT smart phone and use it as a phone over ATT's network and just use wifi for online stuff without being forced to get a data plan. Any truth to this? If so, what needs to be done to make it work?

My wife was given an iPhone from a co-worker and used it for a year or so on AT&T without a data plan as a regular phone. She used to only use data when there was wifi available. We now both have new iPhones with AT&T data plans.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I pay $25 a month for my Android smart phone. No contract. Unlimited text and data. 300 voice minutes. Virgin Mobile (Sprint).

I think they now charge $35 a month, but it still beats the hell out of whatever ATT charges these days.

It has been reported that att can tell if you are using an iphone, even if it is unlocked and automatically give you a data plan. There are also cases like JRJ posted about just above where you can get away with it for a long time. It is just a gamble.

They used to allow you to opt-out of data if you were out of contract. They do not anymore. You can get a smartphone on the wally world house-brand cell service. There are a few qwerty texting phones that do not require a data plan and have wifi, but the browsers are primitive.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

My brother and his wife both have newer iPhones without data on Verizon. Might be an option to consider as well.

Chassis Designer

Thanks for the info fellas.

Straight talk has all u can use voice+text+data for $45 a month on Att band.
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

If the phone has wifi it is a smart phone and you have to have data plans with a smart phone. There is only one exception to this rule. about 3 or 4 years ago you could get a smart phone without a data plan and it was because there was a code on your number to keep them from having to add it. When they changed it to where you had to have the data plan if you had the old code on your number you didn't have to add it till you upgraded the line. So there are now very few people that have that now. They don't make basic phones with wifi either. If it has wifi it is a smart phone.
    '94 Miata "M Edition" - sold
    '99 Miata w/td05