Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Equipe Rapide Challenge Cup #3 West Mesquite Memorial Stadium!

If we come back it will be on kooks (& with rock tape!). That site really chewed up the Toyos. They appear to have worn more there than at the PRO plus a practice day at the Mineral Ring. We'll have to chew on whether it is worth the almost two hour drive.

BTW Andy, the sound meter should have been in the slalom. Cars were reading higher going away from us through it than when they passed the meter on the short downhill chute.

Event #4 map is posted
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

the sound meter should have been in the slalom
    I was under full throttle the whole stretch along the North end. I figured everybody would be under full throttle there. Of course, I came in 7th behind an 80 year old, a rookie, and a guy with a really thick midwest accent.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

There is no rule that says that the meter needs to be at the loudest part of the course.

After getting my sound readings from several Tours and ProSolo events, along with Nationals last year, I think the sound measurements at local events have been as-stringent (if not more so) than any you'll find in other regions. My highest readings have all been recorded locally, and are generally a few dB higher than what was recorded at the Tour and Pro this year. Translation: I think our local sound stewards are doing just fine with the meter placement and are effectively protecting our sites.

If you can pass the sound limits locally (where most of the sites have buildings nearby that echo) then you can feel confident that you will have no issue with sound at a "big" event. I'm only aware of a handful of drivers who've had to make sound adjustments or stop running altogether at an event this season, so it doesn't seem the enforcement is excessive.

Those of you who don't follow the national autocross/motorsports scene may not be aware that sound limits have become a serious issue in some places, and sites have been lost as a result of noise problems, so it is in everyone's best interest to be mindful of dB readings. Also, I've talked to several long-timers who say the new sound sules have made course work/starter/grid jobs less painful.

There is an ongoing story about city ordinances being passed in Atlanta to limit site use by motorsports, based on noise complaints at local drift events. Remember that the average person doesn't make a distinction between a mature, safe autox and a drift exhibition.
    Polished Turd Racing

That’s really a stupid level. When the news was doing the story on it, they had a sound meter and the birds were over 80db.

I do like not having very loud cars at the events, and like the sound rules.

The ordinance says it is measured at the complaintant's property line (not the source property line), so 80db shouldn't be too restrictive on an event, assuming the police can properly use a db meter.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    The ordinance says it is measured at the complaintant's property line (not the source property line), so 80db shouldn't be too restrictive on an event, assuming the police can properly use a db meter.
    I'm looking forward to watching them taze OZMDD when an ER event is too loud.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I'm looking forward to watching them taze OZMDD when an ER event is too loud.
    LOL!!

OZMDD - "Don't Tase Me, Bro!"

I've requested that they attach the electrodes to my nipples.
    Polished Turd Racing

We had a sound level meter operating at the last event? I did not know that. I figured that my car would be over the limit, but nobody said anything, so I guess I'm OK? Maybe the reflection from the stadium made it sound louder than it really is?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    OZMDD - "Don't Tase Me, Bro! Ain't nobody got time for that!"
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    The police should be pretty familiar with douchebag meters.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

There are all sorts of ways that the noise ordinances are written. Typically they have an L90 rating and an L10 rating. The L90 rating is basically the background noise all the time. The L10 rating is a momentary loud noise. Cities enact low L90 ratings to keep constant noise down. These are usually in the 70 dBa range. They allow for L10 noises which are 15 dBa higher at 85dBa or so for brief periods of time. Autocross falls in the L10 catagory because it isn't constant all day every day. I haven't read Ft Worth ordinance. I would assume that 80 dBa is the L90 and somewhere around 95 is the L10. Of course, city council members have little technical abilities most of the time and frequently write ordinances that make no sense. I run an acoustical testing lab and deal with clueless cities all the time. I even took a sound meter to a council member once and showed him that he was in excess of his own noise ordinance every time he opened his mouth.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    I was under full throttle the whole stretch along the North end. I figured everybody would be under full throttle there. Of course, I came in 7th behind an 80 year old, a rookie, and a guy with a really awesome midwest accent.

Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    I even took a sound meter to a council member once and showed him that he was in excess of his own noise ordinance every time he opened his mouth.
    John Wiley Price, I imagine?
    "Dammit, H. I. - the sun don't rise and set on the corner grocer." - Gale Smolts

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123