Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We have boost!

Default We have boost!

The timing is still not set, and the idle needs some work, but I took it for a test drive anyway. WOW. I still have a big grin stuck on my face. I can't wait to see what the Big Boost Kit and the intercooler do to this thing!

Despite 3Bean's offer to bring over his timing light, I decided it would be a good idea if I got my own. Now maybe it's because I am new to this stuff, but I couldn't get the damn thing to work. I verified that the 12v I was connecting the pos and neg to was good, and the inductor was connected to the # 1 wire, push the button on the light and it didn't come on. Am I right to assume I would be able to see some light coming from it? It didn't do anything. Unless someone here points out something stupid that i am missing, I am going to take it back to Autozone.

The idle needs some work. It says to set it to 950, but it took the needle all the way closed to get me there. There was some idle droop at stops, and I even stalled it once.

Despite the idle issue, it is still runs very smooth for FI. I expected it to be a little harder to drive, but it wasn't. I guess that will come as I up the boost.

Titus I'm not trying to be funny here but did you have the car running when you pushed the button?...It sounds to me like you had it hooked up right!...........Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer
    Titus I'm not trying to be funny here but did you have the car running when you pushed the button?...It sounds to me like you had it hooked up right!...........Jerry
    Yes, it was running , and the jumper was in (which caused the CEL to flash... I assume this is normal).

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Yes, it was running , and the jumper was in (which caused the CEL to flash... I assume this is normal).
    I have never seen a CEL when the jumper is in place. What were you using for you 12V for the light??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by riverracer
    I have never seen a CEL when the jumper is in place. What were you using for you 12V for the light??
    The blue 12v connector behind the driverside headlight (per instructions on the board).

The CEL was flashing while the jumper was in, and it went away when I pulled the paper clip.

Yea I use the blue conector also, are you sure you had a good ground? I use the shock mount on the POS.

Wonder what's up with the CEL, mine doesn't kick a light when I jump from TEN & GND?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The CEL was flashing while the jumper was in, and it went away when I pulled the paper clip.
    Before OBD-II, the CEL flashing is how the fault-code(s) stored in the computer are shown. (I think). Disco the battery and press on the brake. Reconnect and try it again. Be sure the paper-clip is jumping TEN-GND.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Before OBD-II, the CEL flashing is how the fault-code(s) stored in the computer are shown. (I think). Disco the battery and press on the brake. Reconnect and try it again. Be sure the paper-clip is jumping TEN-GND.
    I was using TEN-GRD... triple checked that. I confirmed the 12v and ground I was using with a test light. Do I need to re-set even though the CEL flashing went away when I pulled the paper clip?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I was using TEN-GRD... triple checked that. I confirmed the 12v and ground I was using with a test light. Do I need to re-set even though the CEL flashing went away when I pulled the paper clip?
    The is a code stored in the computer. I had an '86 Chevy that I did the paper-clip trick with to 'read' the codes. I don't think it would affect the timing light working or not. That's strange!

Time for a dumb question...

Have you tried the light on another car just to make sure it wasn't just DOA?

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Congrats and Welcome to the dark side
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Time for a dumb question...

Have you tried the light on another car just to make sure it wasn't just DOA?

RJ
    Not yet, but DOA was my feeling from the beginning.

Welcome to the FI world. I'll teach you the secret handshake later....

So what was the prognosis on the timing light??

How the hell should I know... I went to Bed!

I am going to take it back to Autozone tonight and demand a replacement.

Sorry Princess I was just asking....

Oh look you just landed on my shit list along with that no good Kags1969!

Sorry Princess I was just asking....

Oh look you just landed on my s*** list along with that no good Kags1969!
    Sorry... it was a case of miss-use of Emoticons... it has been edited.

Too late! Your now on my shit list!

Did you drive the beast to work today!

Too late! Your now on my s*** list!

Did you drive the beast to work today!
    Nah... I carpool so the Miata only gets night and weekend duty. I also don't think I will take it too far until I get the timing taken care of, and I get the new fuel filter in. I suspect my 30k mile old fuel filter may have me running a little lean. I also may just ask Gary to give it a look and a drive to tell me I didn't screw it up to bad!

OK... The Timing light I had was DOA.... Got a new one from Autozone tonight, dropped the timing from 14 to 8, and took it for another drive. Last night's drive was tentative, as I heard what I thought might be knocking. I had never heard it before, so I thought it could also be a loose bolt. Dropping the timing to 8 made it go away, so I think I must have learned last night what knock sounds like! With no strange noises, the idle and timing correct, I was all over it! Anyone that ever thought they might want to get FI some day MUST drive this and see what a $1500 used SC will do! Better act fast... the Big Boost kit, gauges, and intercooler won't be far off and then it won't be a $1500 upgrade anymore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast