Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Equipe Rapide Challenge Cup #5 - June 3, 2012 - Mineral Wells

Mark52's car seemed to do pretty well, even on old tires. The course was a little short for Mineral Wells, but it was a fun and smooth event.

Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Thanks Brad, it was a very close race, great competition in Tire class this year which makes the events a lot of fun.

I always love running at Mineral Wells even this “short” course would be considered a long course at most sites across the country. We are very lucky to have it. Good event and good course and the wind keep it from being unbearably hot.

Thanks everyone that works so hard to make it happen, this includes the course workers that stand out on course chasing cones for hours.

I'm sorry I got called by work and missed the fun, had to spend the whole day on the phone and computer. At least I got to go for a ride with Su at the end :)

Great course! Flowed so well. Loved the finish-point and shoot!

I want to start a discussion about the ABAB format.

When we ran this format at the 2nd WMHS event, I was happy that we got the course freshened up for the afternoon. When Andy announced we were doing this format yesterday, I actually grumbled and got bummed out. It was pretty warm yesterday and all it meant was that I was going to be shagging cones later in the day. Couple that with an hour and a half ride to MW (turned into 2:30 thanks to that soccer game and an 8 car wreck on I-30!!) and it made for a very long day. I know everyone else has a different drive time, but it was a big drag for me. And since it pushed everything back so late, I'm sure people chose to not do fun runs.

Now that we are headed back to WMHS, it probably makes sense to take that break to sweep. However, any times were are not running there I'd suggest we refrain from the 45 (more like 6 after we get everyone back up and at 'em) minute break. Anyone agree/disagree?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

I like the ABAB format. But yesterday we didn't get first car out until 10ish and then the lunch break was more like an hour so we could've gotten done an hour earlier if we started on time. I have a 1.5 hr drive to Denton, so it sucks going to MW but I just never plan on being home before 5 when there is an event out there.

I like the ab/ab format. It evens up the performance in the heats, better. Lunch is fine, but I would rather lose the lunch break than the new format. We will need the break at all Mesquite events, though.

I prefer not doing the ABAB or a lunch break. Doing the ABAB adds at least 30 minutes without the lunch break. I think if we aredoing the ABAB then we need to include a lunch break, maybe 15 minutes that would be long enough to eat but not long enough that people think they can go into Mineral Wells for lunch, and end up taking a hour. This is coming from somebody that does setup at most events, so I am fine if the course workers want to do 2 shorter heats. I understand that working 200 runs without a break can be hard. Coming into July/Aug I would like to get out early, but I am fine with whatever works best for the course workers, I can see up/down sides to both systems.

Quote Originally Posted by TxCoyote View Post
    I like the ABAB format. But yesterday we didn't get first car out until 10ish and then the lunch break was more like an hour so we could've gotten done an hour earlier if we started on time. I have a 1.5 hr drive to Denton, so it sucks going to MW but I just never plan on being home before 5 when there is an event out there.

10 is the normal start time for ER

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCann View Post
    I want to start a discussion about the ABAB format.

When we ran this format at the 2nd WMHS event, I was happy that we got the course freshened up for the afternoon. When Andy announced we were doing this format yesterday, I actually grumbled and got bummed out. It was pretty warm yesterday and all it meant was that I was going to be shagging cones later in the day. Couple that with an hour and a half ride to MW (turned into 2:30 thanks to that soccer game and an 8 car wreck on I-30!!) and it made for a very long day. I know everyone else has a different drive time, but it was a big drag for me. And since it pushed everything back so late, I'm sure people chose to not do fun runs.

Now that we are headed back to WMHS, it probably makes sense to take that break to sweep. However, any times were are not running there I'd suggest we refrain from the 45 (more like 6 after we get everyone back up and at 'em) minute break. Anyone agree/disagree?

I like the idea of a short minute lunch break. Maybe we should call it an "on-site lunch break". It needs to be announced in advance so people can bring a lunch if they choose. If you announce it at the drivers meeting, it's probably going to take an hour since people will go off site.

Jim

We did start a little late this time (10:15?) which was my fault, since I was late arriving to setup course. The break is supposed to be 30 minutes, which is not enough time to leave the site for lunch in MW. That is not unreasonable, and is good for keeping course workers hydrated and healthy. The break ran far too long at this event and that will be addressed. One issue was that the generator ran out of fuel, the other was failing to insist that everyone be back on-time or have runs DSQ'd. That will be the enforced policy at future events, even though it can seem draconian.

The issue of worker change-over between heats is one that plagues every club. The total cumulative delay is dependent on the willingness of ALL drivers to get to their work assignments promptly, even if they've just finished taking their runs and are putting the car back in paddock. Some of this comes down to "leadership by example" by all of the experienced drivers, and some of it is simply thinking "nobody is really paying attention to me."

I hope a simple reminder in the driver's meeting will help deal with this as the hot months are upon us.

Again, if a worker is not checked-in by the time the timing trailer is ready to start the heat, they will have one or more runs DSQ'd. I hope it never comes to that.

Bear in mind that it wasn't long ago that people complained that events ended too early and "we could've done more runs to get our money's worth" was the story when we finished at 1 or 2. Its very tough to find the perfect "happy medium", but we will keep trying and refining the process. The feedback IS welcome and useful.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I like the ABAB format, but don't dismiss the ABBA format. Well, unless OZMDD is the dancing queen.

Waterloo.

Shutup, Fernando.
    Polished Turd Racing

"Bear in mind that it wasn't long ago that people complained that events ended too early and "we could've done more runs to get our money's worth" was the story when we finished at 1 or 2."

I think that depends a lot on how hot it’s going to be. If the high is 80 then the more runs the better, if it’s going to be 105 with no wind then maybe 6 runs are enough. I did like getting 8 runs at this event, and with that many runs doing the ABAB is probably the best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I think that depends a lot on how hot it’s going to be. If the high is 80 then the more runs the better, if it’s going to be 105 with no wind then maybe 6 runs are enough. I did like getting 8 runs at this event, and with that many runs doing the ABAB is probably the best way to do it.

I think ER is looking for a new weather chairman to monitor temp, humidity, seismic activity and wind speed. The event will then run according to the findings.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasStig View Post
    I think ER is looking for a new weather chairman to monitor temp, humidity, seismic activity and wind speed. The event will then run according to the findings.
    Sounds like we've got our man! You'll need to register as Team Finfrock.
    Polished Turd Racing

More like team Brick.

Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast