Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a Jury Summons today

Default Got a Jury Summons today

I got another jury summons This time I don't have any excuses to get out of it. Man I hate this, ...I know I've heard it a thousand times, how I should be happy to live here and have the opportunity to do this...blaa blaa blaa.

Being self employed this can turn into a true hard-ship (which isn't an excuse to get out of it), if it takes more than a couple of days.

My luck I'll get stuck for a couple months and be out of business in the mean time... Get a rope
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Just ask all kinds of questions...

"Does the fine go to the court or to the victim?"
    "Can we assess both a fine and jail time?"

Or if they give you a golden opportunity to say things like "I don't think I can believe just one witness can prove the case" then you are home free.

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I got called a couple year back, figured I'd be out ASAP since I had a brother in law who was a cop and my lovely wife worked for the county.

Plus I dislike all minorities, majorities, environmentalists, gross polluters, fat people, skinny people, and people named Tito!

Guess what I'll never get that week and a half of my life back..... And it was a crime against a child which made the entire deal suck that much worse.

I hope you get bounced I understand your self employed angle, but I think being self employed as well as my dislike of all things good and evil may have been one of the reasons I was chosen……

I know I'm probably jinxing myself by saying this, but in fourteen years of being a registered voter I've never once been called for jury duty.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Edmond, OK - right on the way to Hallett!

I was a several week Murder-1 case quite a few years back in Ft. Worth ... it was very interesting to see how it works. I'm glad to have had the experience but would not want to do it again.
    If you are not living on the edge ...
    you're taking up too much space!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I know I'm probably jinxing myself by saying this, but in fourteen years of being a registered voter I've never once been called for jury duty.
    I'll make some calls for you on Monday!

I got one last week too!! WTF. I was summoned one other time while I was in school in KS. I couldn't go because of school. Wish I still had that excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    I got one last week too!! WTF. I was summoned one other time while I was in school in KS. I couldn't go because of school. Wish I still had that excuse.
    Mines for Friday April 8th, when do you have to appear?

We could have an mini-MME GTG at the FortWorth courthouse
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Mine is also the 8th. I'm in tarrant county, is that the same courthouse? I obviously haven't read the notice very closely yet!

Yep we will both be at the same place on Friday the 8th. At least for the swearing in and crap. Then we will get our papers and will be sent to a court either Friday PM or will have to appear on Monday. They may even send you to a sub-courthouse, although I've allways been fortunate enough to get out of it, or to do the one day deal at the main courthouse.

I get these like clockwork every two years. Sometimes more often, but you can get out of it if you have been called up within the last 24 months.

Iain, I'll make sure and let them know you aren't getting your fair share

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I was summoned and had to appear in early January this year. After they herded everyone into the giant room, I was the second name called!
    They sent us upstairs to a court room and we were told to wait in the hallway. About 10 minutes later a bailiff came out and asked if we wanted the good new or the bad news.
    The bad news was they didn't need us 'today'. I'm thinking great, we get to come back tomorrow! The good news was we were done and released! I was back home around 10am.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I'll make some calls for you on Monday!
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    Iain, I'll make sure and let them know you aren't getting your fair share
    You guys go right ahead. Until May 14th, I've still got a built in "get out of jury duty free card" (full-time student).
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I was selected for grand jury duty a couple of years ago. For the next six months, we met at least one day a month. About six months later, I was picked for my first regular jury

According to the Henderson County District Attorney, voter registration no longer matters. Being a licensed driver is now the ticket!!!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

You guys go right ahead. Until May 14th, I've still got a built in "get out of jury duty free card" (full-time student).
    You been using that for 14 years???
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    You been using that for 14 years???
    Actually, no. In the times in the past that I haven't been attending school, I've never been summoned. In fact, I've just never been summoned at all.

Maybe if I got a driver's license that would change? :P
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Checker
    I was a several week Murder-1 case quite a few years back in Ft. Worth ... it was very interesting to see how it works. I'm glad to have had the experience but would not want to do it again.
    Same for me, except it was one week & a robbery/assault & battery case. It was very interesting, plus pretty amusing. They showed us the video & it was something straight out of americas dumbest criminals, these two homeless guys, one was extremely g ay, I mean like Nathan Lane in the Birdcage g ay. The other one was real thuggish. Both were strung out on coke & watching them both prance around this donut shop cursing & trying to break the registers open, it was hard for anyone in the courtroom to keep a straight face. Untill one of them stabbed the lady in the neck with a broken BBQ pit lighter & beat the crap out of her, that was the hard part to watch. It was nice to be able to put them away for good.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    one was extremely g ay, I mean like Nathan Lane in the Birdcage g ay. The other one was real thuggish...It was nice to be able to put them away for good.
    They should fit right in to the Prison lifestyle then.

The reactions to this topic, "How do I get out of it" menality are another argument for professional jurists. I hope I never need to be on trial for anything. I'd at least want people to make a decision based on a thorough discussion of the evidence, not a quick decision so they can get back to work.

Note: I'm not "judging" anyone. I feel the same way about being selected. What the courts pay for compensation to jurists is a joke.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Note: I'm not "judging" anyone. I feel the same way about being selected. What the courts pay for compensation to jurists is a joke.

Yea, it's not like they pay judges, court reporters, cops, administrative staff, or the lawyers anything, why should they pay the jury when they can force you to do it for $12/day, and those guys never have to give up their day-job for jury duty, as they would be disqualified. Hey at least the $12 pays for lunch...Provided you eat at Micky D's, too bad it doesn't cover parking

Being Self employed, I'd be fine with Jury duty if it paid a respectable wage to really make up for missing work.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    I'd be fine with Jury duty if it paid a respectable wage to really make up for missing work.
    The problem is what's respectable to one isn't to another. Should the guy making $200k a year be paid more for jury duty than the kid making minumum wage at the Taco Bell?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I think the point is that even the kid working minumum wage at taco bell would be loosing money on the deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast