Thread: Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500

Default Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500

That thing looks mean. With around 500hp for $39k, it will be mean, too. Solid rear. 14" front brakes. 3,600 lbs.

S.

Default Re: Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel

That thing looks mean.
    S.
    How can you say that? It's smilin' at ya!

Color me unimpressed, but I can't see the need for 500hp. I had a chance to ride with a student once in one of the late-model supercharged Mustang Cobras (with "only" 400hp ), and it was ridiculous. Anything more than about 25% throttle in any of the first three gears would just light up the rear tires. On a "power" course, I beat his best time by over ten seconds, and even the student commented that he probably couldn't have picked a more useless car for the sport.

lugnutjon's old Camaro SS was a handful with a mere 325hp and 315/35-17 sized rear R compounds. I guess if you own stock in Goodyear and like to leave black stripes down your block, this is the car for you.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Solid rear...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I can't see the need for 500hp.

Can't see the need? Of course there's no need. Just the need for speed, baby!

Do you travel on a French passport? Who let you into the country?

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Do you travel on a French passport? Who let you into the country?

S.

Color me unimpressed, but I can't see the need for 500hp. I had a chance to ride with a student once in one of the late-model supercharged Mustang Cobras (with "only" 400hp ), and it was ridiculous. Anything more than about 25% throttle in any of the first three gears would just light up the rear tires. On a "power" course, I beat his best time by over ten seconds, and even the student commented that he probably couldn't have picked a more useless car for the sport.
    If we're talking about autocrossing only, I'd totally agree that there's no need for 500hp. But a lot of people live for more than 3 (or six or eight) minutes a week. (I know, I know -- herasy! :) )

Seriously, though. I'd guess the fun in this machine would be standing on it on the highway. And with the right setup it'd probably be a blast down the 1/4.

And there's always laying those black stripes. :)

C'mon -- you know it'd be fun. (Not that I'd trade my Miata for it...)

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    If we're talking about autocrossing only, I'd totally agree that there's no need for 500hp. But a lot of people live for more than 3 (or six or eight) minutes a week. (I know, I know -- herasy! :) )

Seriously, though. I'd guess the fun in this machine would be standing on it on the highway. And with the right setup it'd probably be a blast down the 1/4.

And there's always laying those black stripes. :)

C'mon -- you know it'd be fun. (Not that I'd trade my Miata for it...)

Chuck
    Ahh, but what you've forgotten (or perhaps didn't know) was that I sold a 310rwhp, 2600-lb FD RX7 to buy my Miata. I've run high 12-second 1/4 miles, and done 155+mph on the interstate. I've ridden a sportbike at 140+mph. I've flown planes at 250+ mph. Once you've done it a time or two, the whole straight-line speed thing loses its appeal, at least for me.

Aside from the fact that the FD was a money pit, I don't miss the raw thrill of speed or rush acceleration at all. I get my kicks differently, I guess.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Aside from the fact that the FD was a money pit...
    But a sexy money pit at that...
    Yeah, it looked real good sitting in the garage, not running (which is where it spent a lot of its time)...
    Iain

Hey Iain,
    You don't HAVE to try and use all of that 500HP....that's what they make that right pedal for!!!!!! It's not an ON-OFF switch if you're in anything other than a stock Miata..... :)
    MAD
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'