Thread: Faulty radar guns

Default Faulty radar guns

Interesting article

Unfortunately, most of my tickets are for well above 70-72mph, so I don't think I'm going to be getting any breaks!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Ever ask an officer when the radar device was last calibrated?

Always wanted to, but never found myself close enough to the posted speed to do anything but look pitiful and act respectful.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Default Re: Faulty radar guns

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Unfortunately, most of my tickets are for well above 70-72mph, so I don't think I'm going to be getting any breaks!
    But, Iain...

Ahh, but what you've forgotten (or perhaps didn't know) was that I sold a 310rwhp, 2600-lb FD RX7 to buy my Miata. I've run high 12-second 1/4 miles, and done 155+mph on the interstate. I've ridden a sportbike at 140+mph. I've flown planes at 250+ mph. Once you've done it a time or two, the whole straight-line speed thing loses its appeal, at least for me.
    I thought those days were behind you...

Chuck

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    Chuck
    What's the word I'm looking for...ummmm....ahhhh....oh ya...

BUSTED!!!

All in fun, all in fun.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Ever ask an officer when the radar device was last calibrated?

Always wanted to, but never found myself close enough to the posted speed to do anything but look pitiful and act respectful.
    In case some of you didn't know this, but my ex-wife was a cop... she loved it when people asked this because they calibrated before each shift. They have something like a tuning fork they use to make sure it's in spec before they go out. While it didn't get it perfect, it was close enough to say they calibrated it for legal purposes.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    But, Iain...

Ahh, but what you've forgotten (or perhaps didn't know) was that I sold a 310rwhp, 2600-lb FD RX7 to buy my Miata. I've run high 12-second 1/4 miles, and done 155+mph on the interstate. I've ridden a sportbike at 140+mph. I've flown planes at 250+ mph. Once you've done it a time or two, the whole straight-line speed thing loses its appeal, at least for me.

Chuck
    I haven't driven above 100mph on a public road in about four years... but I routinely cruise at 80-85mph.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

From my boss the Manager of Safety and Training . . .

DO NOT EXCEED POSTED SPEED LIMITS.

SPEEDING HAS BEEN CITED AS A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR IN NEARLY ONE-THIRD OF ALL FATAL CRASHES. THE STRANGE THING IS THAT IT SEEMS WE ARE AWARE OF IT.

ACCORDING TO A RECENT NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION SURVEY, MORE THAN 6 OUT OF 10 DRIVERS CONSIDER OTHER DRIVER'S SPEEDING TO BE A MAJOR THREAT TO THEIR PERSONAL SAFETY. OVER HALF OF THESE DRIVERS REPORTED THAT THEY SEE VEHICLES TRAVELING AT UNSAFE SPEEDS ALL OR MOST OF THE TIME WHEN THEY DRIVE ON RESIDENTIAL STREETS. IN ADDITION, THOSE DRIVERS WHO REPORTED SEEING UNSAFE DRIVING BEHAVIORS REPORTED THAT ALL OR MOST OF THOSE WHO BEHAVE UNSAFELY DO SO WHILE SPEEDING.

“WHY IS IT THAT EVERYONE DRIVING FASTER THAN US IS A MANIAC, AND EVERYONE DRIVING SLOWER THAN US IS AN IDIOT."

---GEORGE CARLIN, COMEDIAN

THINK ABOUT IT.

Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    From my boss the Manager of Safety and Training . . .

DO NOT EXCEED POSTED SPEED LIMITS.

SPEEDING HAS BEEN CITED AS A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR IN NEARLY ONE-THIRD OF ALL FATAL CRASHES. THE STRANGE THING IS THAT IT SEEMS WE ARE AWARE OF IT.

ACCORDING TO A RECENT NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION SURVEY, MORE THAN 6 OUT OF 10 DRIVERS CONSIDER OTHER DRIVER'S SPEEDING TO BE A MAJOR THREAT TO THEIR PERSONAL SAFETY. OVER HALF OF THESE DRIVERS REPORTED THAT THEY SEE VEHICLES TRAVELING AT UNSAFE SPEEDS ALL OR MOST OF THE TIME WHEN THEY DRIVE ON RESIDENTIAL STREETS. IN ADDITION, THOSE DRIVERS WHO REPORTED SEEING UNSAFE DRIVING BEHAVIORS REPORTED THAT ALL OR MOST OF THOSE WHO BEHAVE UNSAFELY DO SO WHILE SPEEDING.

“WHY IS IT THAT EVERYONE DRIVING FASTER THAN US IS A MANIAC, AND EVERYONE DRIVING SLOWER THAN US IS AN IDIOT."

---GEORGE CARLIN, COMEDIAN

THINK ABOUT IT.

That quote is trying to imply that because un-safe drivers usually drive fast, fast drivers are un-safe drivers. It may be true, but it's like jumping to the assumption that Pepsi causes cancer because 9 out of 10 cancer patients prefer Pepsi to milk.

I would like to know what business the National HIGHWAY Traffic Safety Administration has talking about RESIDENTIAL streets.

Also, isn't it a little odd to use the opinions of drivers to rate what is safe? We are paying the people of the NHTSA to provide us with expert opinions and ideas, and they are using OUR OPINIONS as their data source?

In all seriousness, speeding and safety is much too complex for a 20 second sound bite. Driving 40 in a 25 MPH residential area is much different from driving 75 on a 60 MPH 6 lane freeway, which is still different from 70 on a 55 MPH 2 lane country highway.

I think I lost my point somewhere so I will stop now.