Thread: One giant leap for mankind - RIP Neil Armstrong

Default One giant leap for mankind - RIP Neil Armstrong

Just heard the news that Neil Armstrong, the great American hero, pioneer and first man on the moon has passed on.

If you think about the technical feat that to this day would be very difficult was actually accomplished 43 years ago with less computing power than your cellphone in your pocket. I wasn't even a glimmer in my momma's eye yet. I wish I was there to see if first hand, live on TV.

Another note.

Many people don't know how close the original moon landing almost become a catastrophe.

When the lunar module switched the landing radar on, a catastrophic chain of events occurred. Alarms began to sound because the tiny computer on board became overloaded with data from the landing radar. Mission control had no idea what the alarm meant either, other than one person luckily in the backroom staff. Based on his decision mission control gave a thumbs up for the mission to continue so long as the alarm did not go off again. But the alarm kept going off again and again. Armstrong had to override the computer and take manual control of the lunar module. It was now off course and worse still the descent engine was running low on fuel. At an altitude of five hundred feet there was only two minute of fuel left. It was time to seriously worry. They had never run so low on fuel during the training simulations and if they did they would choose to abort the descent and start again. When the Eagle eventually landed it had only 15 seconds of fuel to spare!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

It was a great moment in US history. I had books and models of the lunar module. It really spurred my interest in science.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Thank you, Mr. Armstrong.
    M3 is always the answer.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I remember watching the moon landing on TV....something I'll never forget.

RIP.

I have some old newspapers I got when my grandma died, one says "man walks on moon" across the entire top half. 6 years before my time.

Thanks for the video
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

And the first human to set foot on the moon, was buried on earth under a "Blue Moon"! WOW!