Thread: Cooling System Troubleshooting

Default Cooling System Troubleshooting

My radiator fan stopped working yesterday on the way home from work. Is there a test to determine if it's the fan or the sensor?

Does your car have A/C?

Try this, test I just did it on my 1992 POS Racer, and my wife’s 2002 LS

When you turn on the A/C both fans will run when the A/C is on even if the car is not up to temperature.

If the secondary fan comes on but the primary doesn't it could be the fan.

Let us know what you come up with!

Neither fan is coming on anymore

Quote Originally Posted by DrZaius
    Neither fan is coming on anymore
    Fuse?

Under hood fuse box...there are two items labeled Cooling Fan. One is a 30A fuse, that fuse tests out fine. The other one I am assuming to be a switch or some sort of relay. That one was actually not seated in well. Made sure it was in firm, turned the engine over and the passenger side A/C fan came on. The drivers side radiator fan still will not come on. Is there another switch or relay somewhere that I am overlooking? Or is this just a replace the fan situation?

Are the connectors the same on both fans? If so, swap 'em around and see if the fan is good. Or you could always disconnect the fan and hook it up to a 12v battery or a large 12v power supply to test it.

But even easier would be to take a voltmeter and check for 12v between the 2 wires powering up the non-working fan.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Sorry, missed the first reply. It's a NA '95.

Off of this topic but I have another question. What kind of oil goes in the turret, beneath the shifter itself? Car has over 100K and just noticed a nasty clunk every so often when I shift. I don't have my original owners manual and I can't find it online anywhere.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What kind of oil goes in the turret, beneath the shifter itself?
    Most of us use the same synthetic gear oil (Mobil 1-available at AutoZone) that we put in the tranny and differential. You may want to order the 2 rubber inner shift boots while you're at it if they've never been changed.

Under hood fuse box...there are two items labeled Cooling Fan. One is a 30A fuse, that fuse tests out fine. The other one I am assuming to be a switch or some sort of relay. That one was actually not seated in well. Made sure it was in firm, turned the engine over and the passenger side A/C fan came on. The drivers side radiator fan still will not come on. Is there another switch or relay somewhere that I am overlooking? Or is this just a replace the fan situation?
    Do you get voltage to the dead fan???

I was actually just out in the garage with the multimeter. I do get voltage from the hot side, so I'm assuming the fan is dead and needs to be replaced.

Where did you reference your ground to?

If you connect your ground lead to a piece of metal somwhere under the hood then you still need to check the fan's ground lead for continuity to the chassis. You may have a bad ground connection (corroded) or a broken ground wire.

Raymond

Well DrZaius what was problem?

Default Sorry for the late response

It was the fan. Replaced it yesterday afternoon. I was really pleased to...it only took me 10 minutes to pop out the old one and slap in the new one. Ok, ok, ok....the wife did help me by lining it up while I was underneath the car.

And for everyone who recommended it, SeaFoam is freaking amazing. I foamed the Miata and liked the results so much I foamed everything I own with a gas engine, all the way down to the lawnmower.

nd for everyone who recommended it, SeaFoam is freaking amazing. I foamed the Miata and liked the results so much I foamed everything I own with a gas engine, all the way down to the lawnmower.
    I'll bet your neighbors liked you yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I'll bet your neighbors liked you yesterday!
    HAHAHAHA - Especially his down-wind one!