Thread: Dealing with Insurance on claim - salvage vs. R package

Default Dealing with Insurance on claim - salvage vs. R package

So USAA sent an adjuster out to the house and without my being there wrote off the car. damage is set at $2,800 and they set the value of car at $2,300. this is a 1995 R package that is stock. rebuilt engine with john day in 2010. currently 240k on the mileage. any thoughts on how to communicate a real car value to the adjusters? i dont ever plan on selling the car but really dont want a salvage tag tied to it either...
    95 r white

That is pretty high mileage, but if the car is in decent shape it should go for more than $2,300. I'd do a search for the area/state for other R pack Miata's with similar mileage and show them the comps.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Good luck with getting them to pay any more that what their little computer output says.

I had a '92 Sunburst get totaled out by hail damage back 6-7 years ago. I bought the car for $6,000 they wrote it off for $2,900.00. I brought several printed pages from similar Sunburst going for what I bought mine on the internet and the guy just smiled and said "Isn't that nice. But my computer says $2,400 and that is all we are going to pay". Only good thing was he messed up and didn't he take off the deductible or I would of only got $2,400. I'm covered by State Farm insurance.
    2000 Miata LS - TEIN FLEX, RB header & Exhaust, Monster CAI, HDHC single diagonal with door bars.

There will be no salvage title if you buy the car back from them, since it will not have changed ownership. You can suggest that you still intend to repair it and take a slightly lower-than-total payment to avoid even buying back the salvage.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

>>>>.
    There will be no salvage title if you buy the car back from them, since it will not have changed ownership. You can suggest that you still intend to repair it and take a slightly lower-than-total payment to avoid even buying back the salvage.
    <<<<

this is what i would like to do. their quote is all new parts.. i would go used. there is some wiggle room with the rebuilt engine. i will gather all the receipts and comps and see where this goes.
    95 r white

USAA wrote my old 95 off however I made money. Bought it for 2500 and they wrote me a check for 3000. It was totaled by my own Jeep tho. A hit a run smashed the back of my Jeep and the Warn bumper and winch torn the back off of the Miata. Both parked in front of my house.

Dealing with insurance is something no one should have to do. Sometimes your the windshield and sometimes your the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post
    Good luck with getting them to pay any more that what their little computer output says.

I had a '92 Sunburst get totaled out by hail damage back 6-7 years ago. I bought the car for $6,000 they wrote it off for $2,900.00. I brought several printed pages from similar Sunburst going for what I bought mine on the internet and the guy just smiled and said "Isn't that nice. But my computer says $2,400 and that is all we are going to pay". Only good thing was he messed up and didn't he take off the deductible or I would of only got $2,400. I'm covered by State Farm insurance.
    Similar experience here (two different Sunbursts). As long as they aren't going to fix it anyway, you want to get as much money as possible (regardless of whether you total it, etc.). If somebody that is on your policy was in the car and "may have been injured," ask your adjuster what his personal injury limit is (before he has to get his supervisor's approval). Whatever that is, say "I'll take it" and add that to the total. You probably won't get out of this with the amount of money your car is worth to you or to the market. Insurance companies generally don't add value for rarity. That's just the way it works.

Suspension Modder

long shot but put your vin in here and see what the state of texas would tax you for
    paying taxes I don't like their values but it may help you ?

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles...tive_value.htm

^Not a true statement...........you are supposed to surrender your title and it will come back salvage. If you don't surrender it and sell the car with a clear title expect a call from the buyer when he goes to title it in his name.....

As far as value goes the quoted ACV is a starting point; options, mileage, condition, comps all play a role in how much they might go up to settle a claim. I have seen many claims where customers have sucessfully negotiated a higher settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    Similar experience here (two different Sunbursts). As long as they aren't going to fix it anyway, you want to get as much money as possible (regardless of whether you total it, etc.). If somebody that is on your policy was in the car and "may have been injured," ask your adjuster what his personal injury limit is (before he has to get his supervisor's approval). Whatever that is, say "I'll take it" and add that to the total. You probably won't get out of this with the amount of money your car is worth to you or to the market. Insurance companies generally don't add value for rarity. That's just the way it works.
    I have to say my sunburst wreck experience was different. I printed out some comps and they bumped it up from computer assessment to a human specialty assessor. Within 24hrs the value was bumped from $2500 to $4500, allowing it to be repaired rather than totaled.

settled and the check is on the way. they have to notify the state regarding the salvage note for the car, but the agent stated due to the age of the car, they wont do anything. she felt the cut off was at 7 years. now time to fix it.
    95 r white

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by patf View Post
    settled and the check is on the way. they have to notify the state regarding the salvage note for the car, but the agent stated due to the age of the car, they wont do anything. she felt the cut off was at 7 years. now time to fix it.
    Did you get that in writing so you can go back after them for damages after your title gets returned to you with a salvage notation?

if it does it does... i don't ever plan on giving the car up and at 240k it's value is to a limited audience. i have photos of the damage and will replace parts with oe parts.
    95 r white

Quote Originally Posted by patf View Post
    i have photos of the damage and will replace parts with oe parts.

m2.jpg

Fenders are fine, her escape ramped up the nose
    95 r white

Glad you reached a deal. Your agent is wrong, there is no vehicle age limit on salvage titles in Texas. You will need to surrender your title at the local DMV office with $8 and a filled out VTR-441 form, the state will mail you back your shiney new salvage title. My 99 has a salvage title, I have pictures of the "before" incident, I feel as you do ..... its no big deal.