Thread: Storm brewing at COTA

Default Storm brewing at COTA

A couple of locally organized events were impacted in this sudden decision.

http://jalopnik.com/circuit-of-the-americas/
    2001 BRG Miata SE and 2007 MINI Cooper S

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I received this email today from the local BMW club president:

Attention Lone Star Chapter DE Student and Instructors

We received devastating news from the Circuit of the Americas last night. Without explanation, communication at this time is that they they are now not interested in allowing HPDE or amateur racing at the facility. We have been advised that our deposit is being refunded, our dates cancelled, and all organization events such as our have been cancelled as well. This is undoubtedly a massive loss for the Texas motorsports communuity. We are shocked and amazed at this turn of events and regret that we must deliver this disappointing news immediately prior to the Holidays.

The facebook page for the Circuit may be a source of additional information (or frustration).

Mark W.
    Lone Star Chapter Chief instructor
    Lone Star Chapter President

They still offer track days for only $50,000 - http://circuitoftheamericas.com/visit/track-rental

Default Storm brewing at COTA

Lets do it.
    M3 is always the answer.

I'm in for $100.00

For 24 of us that is just $2,100.00 per person for the day.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

It's not easy being a track junky.

I hate people like this.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I hate people like this.
    Sammm's not so bad once you get to know him!

What's most likely:
    1. They just discovered their not issured for damage by amateur groups.
    2. The just realized they structured the corporation in such a way they could be held personally liable for an injury or death at the track.
    3. They're not satisfied with the money their making by renting the track at $50K and want to make more by running the whole show themselves.

Since these guys work with Bernie E., my bet is #3.
    Last edited by EricJ; 12-23-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

If we can buy insurance for autocross for a few hundred bucks to cover a hundred amateurs in a barely-regulated racing event, COTA certainly has coverage for every conceivable situation.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I voiced my displeasure to the governor on his page @ Texas.gov. Bad way to treat Texans after they subsidized the track.

Driver

apparently now there's some backtracking as the BMWCCA's event is just postponed?
    A meeting will take place after the holidays to finalize all the details on the clubs June event at Circuit of the Americas. Registration will be delayed a few days but our event has not been cancelled.

I just wrote my state representation letting them know that COTA should not recieve it's requested $5m subsidy when she is turning away business from clubracers. I suggest you do the same. It's unreasonable for COTA to believe it can live off the special event fund when it's turning away our business.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

This is the new statement from COTA

Circuit of The Americas’ provides updated information on pending track rentals

Circuit of The Americas™ today announced that it would honor track rentals with four organizations that had booked track days and paid rental fees in advance. “We are moving ahead with these agreements and contacting clients so they can share this information with their members and customers,” Circuit spokesperson Julie Loignon said. “The executed rental agreements will limit the number of vehicles we have on track at any given time to ensure a fun and safe experience for participants, including any amateur drivers who will be participating. We regret the confusion that was caused as we worked through these issues with our clients and look forward to providing a one-of-a-kind experience to auto enthusiasts coming to Circuit of The Americas through our track rental program.”

Backtracking, but it sounds like only an exception for 4 clubs.

I will be writing my state reps

Didn't the state put up $25M to get this going? Make it like the Nurburgring.
    M3 is always the answer.

Yep, and I here they are asking for $5M more.

Lonestar Region SCCA had a signed 3-day agreement for $75,000. Double-national--all the big boys. Austin's SCCA boys reportedly need 280 entrants to break even. So much for "small numbers of cars on the track."
    There was some jostling over the past 48 hours, but the "final" outcome is that the SCCA is one of the preferred racing organizations to make COTA's list.
    The event is "on" for March 8-10. Lots of us North Texas race officials are signed up to work the event. Would've been a heart-breaker to not have the event and not able to see/ride around the track.
    Paul