Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First major news story that you remember

call me another old fart............JFK for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDmiata View Post
    Wow, I'm feeling almost young. The Space Shuttle Challenger explosion in 1986 (7 years old at the time)
    Thats mine too. I was i 5th grade. They rolled the TV in on an AV cart so we could watch the news. It was crazy.
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

John Glenn's first ride into space. As I remember, we got to stay home from school that morning to watch the launch (on B&W tv of course).

No, wait! It had to be the JFK/LBJ election win over Goldwater in '60! believe I was in first grade at the time.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    At the risk of sounding like Black Roadster, what was the first major news story that you remember?

I think mine was the Iranian hostage crisis.

I remember the Korean War starting and I have a vague recollection of WWII ending but we didn't have TV in those days.

Mt. St. Helens, Reagan election, Reagan shot.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Waht about Lake Tahoe?

Hard to believe they messed with that thing for 33 hours and then blew it up
    Last edited by onething; 01-28-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post

But those folks in Tahoe can't keep a secret. http://youtu.be/73S2qDzJr6g

I was dealing Blackjack in Vegas when that happened. Word we got was that within an hour, someone was selling T-shirts on the street that said "I got bombed at Harvey's". Marketing wizards fer sure.

In the video I linked, you can hear the idiots cheering the explosion, not knowing if loss of life had occured or not. That part is the same as Vegas.

The first news story I can remember is Mount Saint Helen's, I was in second grade I think.
    Last edited by danzo; 01-30-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    "Dammit, H. I. - the sun don't rise and set on the corner grocer." - Gale Smolts

Umm, it says the building was evacuated, and they even brought all of the guests belongings to the shelter for them.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

OJ Trial. Either I'm way younger than you old farts or my memory really sucks ass or I don't care about the news.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    OJ Trial. Either I'm way younger than you old farts or my memory really sucks or I don't care about the news.
    +1. Thats the first i recall and couldnt remember the exact year and it was '94 when the murder happened so i would have been 10 yrs old, too busy being a kid i guess.

George Michael caught pleasuring another man in the men's room.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq View Post
    George Michael caught pleasuring another man in the men's room.
    You'll need to be more specific, please...
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

It would have to be the gas shortages in the 70's for me.

Mount St Helens eruption and Reagan being shot were my oldest news memories, but I had to google them to find out which one happened first.

I am pretty surprised I had never heard about the Harvey's explosion. I spent the first 30 years of my life living 2-3 hrs from South Lake Tahoe, and even lived in the same city as the bomber (Fresno) for 3 years. I visited the new Harvey's 3 or 4 times in the early 90's, but didn't even know back then that it was "New".

Obuma's reelection. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Skylab
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Must be a youngin too, all these were before I was born. First political memory was hearing my dad saying something about 'oh lord, Reagan stuck his foot in his mouth again" I was aware he was the president but for some reason couldn't reason why someone would want to stick their foot in their mouth. I still remember the mental pic was old guy in a presidential suit trying to fit his dress shoe in his mouth. I don't remember 90% of my childhood.

First news story was first WTC & OK City bombings, OJ trials, and Clinton being elected. I remember my dad was devastated about Clinton election haha.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 02-05-2013 at 12:23 AM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast