Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NA Koni/GC install (help)

Default NA Koni/GC install (help)

My '97 came with Koni/GC coilovers and FM top hats. I'm in the process of replacing my rear dampers and have a few questions.

1. On the damper itself, there are three slots for a ring (for placement of the spring perch). What's the correct one to choose? I'm guessing it depends somewhat on intended ride height and spring length? I was simply going to use the same one (lowest) that it was set to before.
    2. What bumpstops are preferred? There were some small, foam-like ones but the passenger side disintegrated on removal.
    3. Can I get replacement rubber top pieces (piece that sits above the spring)?
    4. How do I assemble the strut? My problem is the top center nut. How do I get it tight, and what is the torque spec?
    5. Are the used dampers worth anything or should I just chuck them? Looks like they've seen some abuse.

Thanks for the help!

Clarifications:

1. To be more precise, I'm talking about the circular groove where the threaded collar sits:

2. Picture of the bumpstop that didn't disintegrate:

3. Pictures of the rubber piece I'm talking about:

5. Used dampers:

OK... I'm still trying to figure all this out. I've only done dampers once a while back on a car without as much support/info as the Miata so I'm a bit lost in the sea of info available.

At this point I'm looking at FCM bumpstops. According to http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.p...01&postcount=1 I should use a 36mm FCM and trim to about 20mm for the rear with a 9mm spacer.

Trying to figure out what else I need. The instructions for the FM top hats mention a pair of collars for each damper (step 10) that I don't have: http://www.flyinmiata.com/support/in...ock_Mounts.pdf
    "10) Included with each new shock mount is a pair of collars to locate the shock shaft in the spherical bearing. Press both of these collars, one from the top and one from the bottom, into the spherical
    bearing. These collars are not required for shocks with a 5/8” shaft such as Advance Design."
    What are they and do I need them?

Also, I'll be getting new spring isolators from FCM. They talk about using stamped washers with them. Do I need the stamped washers and the upper/lower bushings since I'm using FM top hats?

Good stuff on bumpstops here -> http://www.dfwmiata.com/threads/1715...ight=bumpstops

I got my bumpstops from RE Suspension since they were TCB approved.

I don't know anything about the FM Top Hats so can't really help ya with them....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Good stuff on bumpstops here -> http://www.dfwmiata.com/threads/1715...ight=bumpstops

I got my bumpstops from RE Suspension since they were TCB approved.

I don't know anything about the FM Top Hats so can't really help ya with them....
    Thanks. I had read through some of that thread in research earlier today but finished the whole thing now along with the grassrootsmotorsports post. Good info. I am, however, confused about the fender washer discussion. The NA shock assembly looks quite different from the NB. Mine looks more like the NA assembly but is missing the nylon isolator (presumably because I'm using FM hats?) and the boot and bumpstop (single unit?). It also has a GC spring isolator that sits between the top of the spring and the hat. And I don't know what that foam-like piece is that disintegrated on one side. Also, TCB?

I guess I got in over my head on this one. It happens often...

Why not set them up the way FM did??

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...7100%20%2010MM
    That's why I was looking at the FM instructions (and step 10 mentioned before), but they don't specifically talk about Koni or GC (or coilovers period).

Yep they don't mention them since they are assuming you bought them new to fit the Koni's.
    Available to fit all Miata shocks other than the AFCOs. Please specify shaft size when ordering. If your shock is not on this list, please check the diameter of the shaft. If you did not have to drill out the hole in your stock perches, it`s 10 mm.
    10 mm: fits KYB AGX, KYB GR2, Tokico Illumina, Koni STR-T (orange), Tokico HP and stock shocks.
    12 mm: fits Koni Sport (yellow) shocks.
    Didn't these have Koni's on them already?? So they should already be set up for use on a Koni with a 12mm shaft size right??
    10) Included with each new shock mount is a pair of collars to locate the shock shaft in the spherical
    bearing. Press both of these collars, one from the top and one from the bottom, into the spherical
    bearing. These collars are not required for shocks with a 5/8” shaft such as Advance Design.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 02-17-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Yep they don't mention them since they are assuming you bought them new to fit the Koni's whick is one of the options.

Didn't these have Koni's on them already?? So they should already be set up for use on a Koni with a 12mm shaft size right??
    Right. The top hats fit the Konis fine. It's the other pieces of the puzzle I don't have figured out. Bump stops/spacers/washers/bushings/isolators/collars. The FM instructions don't mention coilovers and when you're using stock or lowering springs it's a more defined/standard setup I guess.

So, I noticed this while removing/disassembling but I didn't consider the implications until today. The springs I have (7" I think) are short enough such that they don't require compression for installation/removal on the shock assembly. This means that when the suspension is, for the most part, under no compression (weight) the spring is free to move about which means it's possible for it to shift then on compression, land off center of the upper mount. This sounds less than ideal, if not dangerous/destructive. Or am I just crazy and don't know what I'm talking about (very possible!)?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^Is that only when they are un-sprung, or even with the car/tire on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    ^Is that only when they are un-sprung, or even with the car/tire on the ground?
    I think it's only when unsprung, but I didn't think to look that closely when the car was on the ground. If it is only when unsprung it probably isn't that big a deal. It's not like I'm gonna rally it with this suspension... But I do have to make sure the springs are centered on the upper mount when I put the car back on the ground after installation.

Edit: I assume just about any weight at all would be enough to keep the spring in place on the mount, even if it doesn't compress it much. Plus, with relatively stiff setting on the damper, it should be unlikely to extend to the point where the spring is completely uncompressed.

Also, is there a possibility for the inside rear corner to become unloaded enough to cause this to be a problem?

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

How worried should I be about this?

Shouldn't I be able to raise the perch up to meet the upper mount without affecting ride height since the spring location is what affects that and not the shock? The shock is just going to come down to rest on the spring anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GroceryHauler View Post
    Also, is there a possibility for the inside rear corner to become unloaded enough to cause this to be a problem?
    Yes there is a possibility. Couple of examples hit a dip take a corner quick any of these maneuvers can cause the shock to become unloaded.

Why not add a little preload just to make sure the spring stays in the pocket of the shock mount? Or are you going for Hella Flush look where you want it as low as she will go??
    Last edited by POS Racing; 03-01-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

How worried should I be about this?
    I would be....can't you raise the lower perch?

And another vid!

Default Re: NA Koni/GC install (help)

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I would be....can't you raise the lower perch?
    That's what I mean. I should be able to raise the perch without affecting the height. Up to the point where the top of the spring meets the bottom of the upper mount. Past that point will increase ride height.
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

That's what I mean. I should be able to raise the perch without affecting the height. Up to the point where the top of the spring meets the bottom of the upper mount. Past that point will increase ride height.
    Where you have the perch set I'm thinking the cross member might touch the ground.

Have you put this setup in the car and put the car on the ground to see where you are at now??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast