Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Ranger or Chevrolet S-10

Default Ford Ranger or Chevrolet S-10

So I'm thinking about getting a standard cab cheap ass baby pickup so I can park the '94 Miata and just delegate it to AutoX.

On the truck I want a 4 cylinder 5 Speed with working A/C so my expectations are low. So is the dollar amount I want to spend.

The Ford Ranger & Chevrolet S-10 both seem to fit in the TCB parameters of my search.

Figured some of you slack jawed yokels may have some insight and advice on these trucks!

TIA

ranger, looks better and its not a chevy.
    http://i49.tinypic.com/4kvfc.jpg
    Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races - Carroll Shelby
    Mods
    FM front shock tower brace, OMP wheel, BBS Wheels, RZ ralco short throw shifter, Jackson Racing header, Racingbeat muffler.

Until we got the Mini for Leilane, I was driving my '99 Ranger daily. In a word, it sucked. They are not comfy vehicles. You bounce around, the feedback is vague, it corners terribly, and so on. I am actually having a blast daily-driving Leilane's old '95 Civic Coupe DX compared to the Ranger. I doubt the Chevy is much better. I would not suggest these as a daily driver. I would also suggest buying a full-size truck. I now wish I did and I plan to replace the Ranger with one. You are welcome to borrow my Ranger for a week to see what you think.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

My son had a '95 Ranger, 4L V6 and 5 speed. He put ~150k miles on it and had very little trouble. But, as jrj512 says, it rode like a ........... well a ...... a truck. If I needed a small truck, I would get the Ranger.
    Last edited by cone-cerned; 06-14-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I have had a Ranger and S-10, I liked the S-10 a lot better, it drove much better. The S-10 was also newer so that may not be a totally fair comparison. Between the two I would go with the S-10. Mine were V-6’s I do not know anything about the 4’s. If you are going to be driving it a lot spend the few more $ and get the V-6 auto. In my experience the GM trucks drive much better than the Fords in both the small and full size trucks. (Deep down I will always be a Chevy guy). As always drive both and see what you think.

Bo's brother is selling a Ranger...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

But I don't want a full sized truck...... I drove lostlorin's S10 the other day & I didn't hate it. That is what got the wheels turning on this half baked plan of mine!

The '94 isn't a daily driver either it is beating the crap out of me. I'm too old and fat to be climbing in and out of this relic on a daily basis. But I love it for Autocross.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Bo's brother is selling a Ranger...
    Was selling a ranger. It was exactly what you were looking for, too. One Ranger caveat: Ford cancelled production, driving up the price of a good used Ranger.

IMHO, there is one drawback to a standard cab mini truck: comfort for tall drivers. You are cramped in a big way. I recommend getting the extended cab. An added plus: behind-seat cargo capacity that is weather-poof.

Have you considered the mini offerings from Toyota or Nissan? I know you want cheap, and a comparable Toyota is more than a Ford, but you can get a deal if you look hard enough. Tacomas with the 22R seem to outlast most mortals.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    Was selling a ranger. It was exactly what you were looking for, too. One Ranger caveat: Ford cancelled production, driving up the price of a good used Ranger.

Have you considered the mini offerings from Toyota or Nissan?
    As a data point what did he have and what did it sell for??

Yea I have Toyota and Nissan on the radar but none have clicked in at my price point or when they do they have a bazillion miles on them.

Good point on the extended cab!

Two words -- El Camino.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    As a data point what did he have and what did it sell for??

Yea I have Toyota and Nissan on the radar but none have clicked in at my price point or when they do they have a bazillion miles on them.

Good point on the extended cab!
    2003 ranger 2.3L, Manual trans, 140K miles.

Needed all front ball joints. $4400 closing price, but he foolishly turned away an offer for $4500 thinking he could get more.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/3063005547.html I guess he is not a post deleter after he sells a vehicle.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you're looking for a baby truck, why not check out the Japanese vendors too? Are they typically more $$$?

Between the S10 and the Ranger, I'd buy the Ford (big shock, I know )

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Two words -- El Camino.
    Ohhhhhh Ahhhhhh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    If you're looking for a baby truck, why not check out the Japanese vendors too? Are they typically more $$$?
    Yep....

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Two words -- El Camino.
    The front is like a car
    The back is like a truck
    The front is where you drive
    The back is where you ......

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    The back is where you ......
    That can be done in an '83 Toyota 4x4 too.

Last edited by boisking; 06-14-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Last edited by wrx74; 06-14-2012 at 11:59 AM.

M3 is always the answer.

Justin has a Ford ranger for sale

2000 Miata LS - TEIN FLEX, RB header & Exhaust, Monster CAI, HDHC single diagonal with door bars.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast