Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinging noise at higher RPMs

Your not supposed to be able to change the timing as it doesnt have an adjustment slot, but.... the JRSC kit comes with a special supplimental bracket that allows the moving of the Crank Angle Sensor to alter timing. My 2000 is set at 14*. The purpose of the bracket is so people can turn the timing back to 6* when not intercooled...

Chris

interesting.
    I guess I will just keep putting premium grade in.
    I bet gas is still going up too dangit!
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    interesting.
    I guess I will just keep putting premium grade in.
    I bet gas is still going up too dangit!
    We have the same problem with our 2002 Miata, it only like premium anything else and it will knock. Actually it says premium fuel only in the owner’s manual on an '02, could be a VVT (Variable Valve Timing) thing.

good thing its a great gas millage car.
    I dont feel so bad putting that expensive gas in when I know I am going to get great gas millage out of it and its got a small tank.
    thats a great thing since I love driving the car.
    99 Miata Black

Yeah,

I feel the same way...

Gas costs are high, but you get about the same price per tank when you consider how much crappier the mileage is on the VVT models when you run regular gas in them.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Alllllllrighty...

I did the seafoam in the intake / crankcase / tank & shot some deep creep in the intake manifold. Somehow I managed to launch the spray nozzle all the way back in the manifold, so we spent the entire 15 minute cool down period fishing the damn thing out, which at one point it fell down one of the tubes leading to the cylinder, man that freaked me out, but we manged to fish it out.

Cranked it up & drove the piss out of it, man tons of smoke, im sure it was quite comical to the cars that I cut off out of the parking lot, hehe.

Anyway, man much smoother throttle response, way more power at higher RPM & the best part...no more pinging, even before I filled it with premium

Now all I have to do is change the oil, & do the tranny / shifter / differential oil, put in new shifter boots, set the timing, & she'll be all ready for the autoX season

Now on to the blasted shocks...

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

You read that, Billy? You might want to try a Seafoam treatment on yours.

'99s shouldn't need premium. My '99 with 100k on the original fuel filter runs just fine on whatever crappy 87 octane gas I can find cheapest.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Iv'e read a lot of posts that make refference to a Seafoam treatment, what is that exactly?

I dont know what it is or how to do it.
    any help?
    Thanks
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    Iv'e read a lot of posts that make refference to a Seafoam treatment, what is that exactly?

I dont know what it is or how to do it.
    any help?
    Thanks
    You could always do a Search.

Your right.
    99 Miata Black

Oh yea, my strange idle problem seems to be gone as well

When I turn the key she fires up without effort, you cant even hear the starter whine, it just clicks & boom

I think ill keep a stock of seafom from now on, this stuff is worth its weight in gold...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12