Thread: Stainless Steel brake lines

Default Stainless Steel brake lines

Just finished my weekend project. Installed a set of stainless steel brake lines that I got from Goodwin. Also installed a set of Speed Bleeder values. Although they say this is a one man job to bleed the brakes with these, I still needed to have the wife help - doing the right side it was impossible to see the bleeder bag and know when it was bubble free. Filled up with Motul RBF600 fluid. If it wasn't for the fact that it was over 100 degrees in my garage, I'd give this project a super simple rating.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

One of there will help make changing brake fluid a one person job.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Nope, home made positive pressure brake bleeder cap. Many thanks to altiain.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Since most compressors have water in them, even with a filter, doesn't this just force moisture into your break system? I still prefer the tried and true old skool pump and hold method even if it is a two person job.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I just use a vacuum bleeder. Makes life super simple.

so can you notice the performance after the SS lines installed?
    97 M Edition

I've got some 949 ss lines waiting to go on too, I'm interested to hear your thoughts

Magma found out the hard way. Make sure the lines don't kink while moving through the suspension travel. So don't put a lot of twist/torsion in them when mounting them. You want them resting as naturally as possible at ride height. And obviously, make sure they won't rub on anything like your wheel once you put that on.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by popxpop33 View Post
    so can you notice the performance after the SS lines installed?
    Yes. Substantially improves feel. Like night and day. Goodbye sponge. Hello hardness and modulation (hardness and modulation are crucial on a Miata forum).

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    Yes. Substantially improves feel. Like night and day. Goodbye sponge. Hello hardness and modulation (hardness and modulation are crucial on a Miata forum).
    I'll bet you replaced old, worn out OEM style lines with the stainless lines. When I replaced old, worn out OEM lines with new OEM lines my reaction was the same - substantially improves feel, like night and day. Goodbye sponge, hello hardness and modulation!

There are advantages to stainless lines. Hard pedal is not one of them. I've changed out new OEM for stainless with no driving performance difference.

I recently installed the stainless Goodridge lines and I love them. I don't know that there is a performance difference over new OEM rubber lines, but there is definitely a difference in pedal feel.

Instead of feeling the brake pressure in the pedal after 1/4 to 1/2 inch in, the pressure starts immediately and it is more controllable and predictable to me.

I don't see a reason to not install them, just like above make sure they rest naturally and won't kink/hit anything.
    '01 Miata. Silver/Red Stripes. HDHCDD
    '13 Mazda2. Spirited Green.

Make sure to double check your lines and install angle on the caliper after some driving. Make sure to check clearance on lock to lock as well.