Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few random observations while driving down the road.

Default A few random observations while driving down the road.

The new Beetle is a big improvement over the last. Amazing how it does look more masculine and less "chick car" than the first new Beetle. I love the baby moon wheels they have. I'd be interested to see if they improved the horrendous interior as well. I would actually drive one though without feeling like I was driving a teenage girl's car.

What is the deal with EVERY car manufacturer adding Audi style accent LED's to the headlights of most of their redesigned cars? (See above, the V-Dub has them too.) Is this a new DOT requirement or is this just another Altezza phase in automotive styling?

Who else thinks the Infiniti QX56 is the ugliest thing on the road since the Aztec?

I've seen quite a few of these around and they are massive, ugly and tacky. It looks like it was designed by committee with so many in-cohesive design elements that it makes me nauseous. What is the appeal when their are so many better looking vehicles out there? Especially at that price level. I mean this thing is absolutely the ugliest vehicle in new car show rooms right now. Don't ya think?

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The Aztec is still the ugliest car ever.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Sorry, BR, but nothing can out-ugly the Pontiac Asstek. Not surprised the VW and Audi are sharing styling cues. And, yes... the new new beetle is a marked improvement.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

It's not just German cars. Kia, jaguar and others have copied the led front clip.

The qx56 looks to me a cross between an orca and a beluga whale. Pretty hideous.

The Aztec was gross but you all realize it nearly shares the same body style as a Prius... Same rear window rake with a small vertical window in the back. Granted its a car and not suv but you see the similarities, right?

No comment on beetle.

The Prius is not exactly the king of sexy...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

If I watched SNL I might have a reference to redmence's photo. It looks like a weekend update character.

I wasn't trying to suggest the QX56 was uglier than the Aztec. The Infiniti is just the ugliest new vehicle out there. The Ass-tec has to be one of the worst but there are plenty of worthy contenders in the past.

...and yes, it isn't just zee Germans zat are doing zee little LED track lighting. I've seen it on Fords, Jeeps, Lexus, KIA, etc... It's becoming ubiquitous.
    ...and across the line.

Agree completely. New beetle is gorgeous, oddly enough. Just enough old school. Still wouldn't be caught driving one. The 'naked' leds are hideous. They look like a cheap knockoff of something from a supercar. Even the nice Audis look cheezy with them. If they added a diffuser on top of the LEDs they would be awesome, but raw LEDs, cheap looking.

Those new infinity's, along with their big brothers whatever their name, look like a nice design undergoing anaphylactic shock after stung by a bee...or that nice looking girl in highschool that's put on 80lbs before the 10 year reunion. They're a tragedy compared with the other gorgeous Infinity SUVs of late.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Ironically aztecs are badass vehicles, they have a very well thought out interior and trunk. Kind of like a jumbo element. The designer also did the c6 :P

^I own an element...and comparing to its styling is not exactly a complement, lol.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I was referring to the interior setup not the exterior.

I do agree that the convertible murano is one of the worst things ever created haha.

Those LEDs act as DRLs and draw less power than a standard headlamp.

Apparently when you finally get to work after day-dreaming on your way there, you don't have much to do...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Apparently when you finally get to work after day-dreaming on your way there, you don't have much to do...

Nah... this shit has been bugging me for months. I just remembered to post it today.
    ...and across the line.

My mom had the first gen new Beetle convertible and absolutely loved it. Said she hated the blind spots with the top up, but that was her only complaint.

She traded it in for the new-new Beetle hardtop, and says she likes it more than her old one, except for looks. She says she is really unhappy with how it looks. I don't know why she traded a car she loved the looks of for one she isn't so fond of, but I guess I basically did the same thing when I sold my Z and bought the Miata shortly after. I digress.

Personally, I agree with my mother on this one. I don't care for either body style, but I certainly "like" the original new Beetle more than the new-new one.

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    The Aztec is still the ugliest car ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by 91NA6 View Post

The Aztec was gross but you all realize it nearly shares the same body style as a Prius... Same rear window rake with a small vertical window in the back. Granted its a car and not suv but you see the similarities, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    The Prius is not exactly the king of sexy...
    Problems with the Kamm Tail? Honda CRX was cool.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

I get upset when I think about how the new beetle drives around backwards.
    2001 SE BRG Miata #2026, Aka: The Green Slug

My mom recently picked up a new Beetle convertible... I spent a couple hundred miles in the passenger seat with her while in CA visiting last week and was pretty impressed for what it is. Did not get the chance to drive it though.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

One of my wife's tennis buddies picked up the new Beetle drop top too. She likes it, and it's roomier than I expected.

I do like the retro body vs. the older egg shaped one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast