Thread: Darwin Award Nominee

Default Darwin Award Nominee

Read this and see if you agree with the last line!

The following mind-boggling attempt at a crime spree in Washington USA appeared to be the robber's first (and last), due to his lack of a previous record of violence, and his terminally stupid choices:

1. His target was H&J Leather & Firearms. A gun shop specializing in handguns.

2. The shop was full of customers - firearms customers.

3. To enter the shop, the robber had to step around a marked police patrol car parked at the front door.

4. A uniformed officer was standing at the counter, having coffee before work. Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up, and fired a few wild shots from a .22 target pistol. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, the police officer with a 9mm Glock 17, the clerk with a .50 Desert Eagle, assisted by several customers who also drew their guns, several of whom also fired, The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics (SURPRISE rolleyes.gif ). Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds. Ballistics identified rounds from 7 different weapons. No one else was hurt in the exchange of fire.

Here we are in late March and we already may have the 2005 winner of the Darwin Award.

This guy is going to be hard to beat
    1997 Acura Integra GSR Sedan

I saw this nomination earlier. Hope he hadn't already peed in the gene pool...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

That is hilarious. He'd certainly get my vote.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I went to school with a Darwin award nominee.

The guy who got stuck in the chimney and died trying to rob a gift shop in Natchez, Ms.
    99 Miata Black

Default Re: Darwin Award Nominee

Yep, he's a clever one.

But I'm a little amazed at the poor aim of [at least] 7 people who fired at this guy at close range (read: inside a store):
    Quote Originally Posted by nivek2002
    "... investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds."
    That's a little less than a 50% hit rate. From people who are obviously gun aficionados. Nice shootin' boyz -- better book a little more time at the shootin' range.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I wonder with 23 "hits" how many are in the same hole? Cops 1 shoots through heart and shopper shoots in same place, how can they tell? When I was younger I used to shoot targets. Many times the bulls eye would be nothing more than a big hole. Five shots per target and only three decernable holes
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Default Re: Darwin Award Nominee

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Yep, he's a clever one.

But I'm a little amazed at the poor aim of [at least] 7 people who fired at this guy at close range (read: inside a store):
    Quote Originally Posted by nivek2002
    "... investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds."
    That's a little less than a 50% hit rate. From people who are obviously gun aficionados. Nice shootin' boyz -- better book a little more time at the shootin' range.
    I don't know much about guns, but I suspect If you pull the trigger a split second after the guy with the .50 Desert Eagle, there is a good chance that the .50 bullet that hits the "target" just before your bullet gets there will move the "target" more than a little bit. That might be a little harder to predict then your typical moving target.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I just wonder who had to do the clean-up?

"Oh look, there's a piece of him there... and there... and over here... and up there... "
    Clean up? We don't need no stinkin clean up! This expisode had to have increased the in store traffic 100% and the value of every gun in the store. I'd pay a premium to buy a gun from that store.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim
    I wonder with 23 "hits" how many are in the same hole? Cops 1 shoots through heart and shopper shoots in same place, how can they tell? When I was younger I used to shoot targets. Many times the bulls eye would be nothing more than a big hole. Five shots per target and only three decernable holes
    The trajectory of each bullet will be different, so the tracts leading from the entry hole will be different .... not to mention that even if 2 people shot at the same area (ie. the bullseye), they're not likely hitting the exact spot, so the entry wound is much bigger than it should be for the caliber of bullet used. Also, there's likely trace evidence on the recovered bullets.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

Quote Originally Posted by rjosey8385
    The trajectory of each bullet will be different, so the tracts leading from the entry hole will be different .... not to mention that even if 2 people shot at the same area (ie. the bullseye), they're not likely hitting the exact spot, so the entry wound is much bigger than it should be for the caliber of bullet used. Also, there's likely trace evidence on the recovered bullets.

Someone's been watching CSI!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Someone's been watching CSI!
    Maybe, but rjosey8385 BC also lives it.

I saw her and her bitter half at the shooting gallery after the ER awards dinner she got my respect that night.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region