Thread: Anyone able to tell what kind of differential I have?

Default Anyone able to tell what kind of differential I have?

Ive been reading about differentials all day and being a 90 I assumed the VLSD. The only thing that makes me questions it was the pictures I have seen online vs. what I have.

Since its leaking pretty bad I assumed I would just swap it out for a newer model. Take a look at the dropbox links below and let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dv01xlelyf...022_225630.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/03wlngu8vb...023_171802.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn9hp75lrv...023_171749.jpg

Full story:

Went to look at the car, everything seemed good til went to shift into 2nd, there was a rattle somewhere. Couldn't be sure where at the time because it was not on a lift. After putting it onto some stands and starting it up rolling in first no issues. Clutch on and off is smooth. When I shifted into second it rattled when I engage the gear and disengage.

According to the axle stubs, it looks like a VLSD.

There's a spotter's guide on Miata.net.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    According to the axle stubs, it looks like a VLSD.

There's a spotter's guide on Miata.net.
    Yeah, I read that. It did say all VLSD cases are smooth and mine didnt look like the one in the picture, not exactly anyways.

Thanks, thats what I needed to know.

Better reread that guide. http://www.miata.net/garage/diffguide/index.html

1. A smooth diff case is always open.
    2. A finned diff case could be open or VLSD.
    3. If the axle stub flange ears are the same shape on both sides, it is open. An open diff uses the same stub axles on both sides.
    4. If the axle stub flange ears are different side-to-side, it is a VLSD. A VLSD has different length stub axles.

Looks like an open diff to me. Fowlermotorsports has an open 1.8 swap for sale that is in good condition (I've seen it). Listed in the classified here.
    Last edited by hornetball; 10-24-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added link

I bought one last night for 325. Entire rear end from a 94 with the 4.3 gears. Now I just gotta figure out how to put it on.

Not super car savy, bought this to learn with since theres so many combinations you can do with a Miata (and they are the most fun IMO).

Oh, oh!

I hope you got the driveshaft and halfshafts that went with that rear. $325 seems high to me unless it's a Torsen, and in that case $325 would only buy the diff and not the other parts needed to swap in.

'94 had 4.11, but it's close enough to 4.3 that you don't need to worry about it.

Recommend that you talk to us before spending money. Especially since you're not "super car savy." We're here to help.

Someone has to be the windshield and someone has to be the bug.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

It is the whole Torsen set up w/o driveahaft. Thankfully my dad had one lying around.

Yeah I been reading forums for a while trying to see what I'll need. Overall plan is a 1.8 swap but cant be all done at once cause of budget.. Working my way from the back to front (or whats needed)

Trust me, there is a laundry list of questions I have for this this car because of the work done by previous owner.