Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: STS suspension

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Everything I've read/heard about 28's is that they are poor for the street, and they will need frequent rebuilds if you do street them.
    I've run my 2812s on the street for 20k+ miles before I rebuilt them. They are GREAT on the street. But I did have them originally built with the standard kits, not the fragile low-drag kits.

I'm almost finished with a new aluminum bodied Bilstein shock for the NA/NB Miata. It's a non-adjustable that I'm making in two versions. A street shock that won't fall on it's face on the track with 600/350 springs and a competition shock with stiffer springs.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post

I was having traction issues....part of the problem was/is the driver and my low-budget suspension build. I'll lay some blame on a blown rear shock...was like that when I got there that morning.
    World's shortest Bilstein!

I'm running a non adjustable AST with the same spring rates as JJ. I daily drive on that setup for quite a while and have no problems driving to and from the track even with a race bucket. The ride is much better with the stock seat.

I've got no complaints for autocross or track performance but I'm not that picky. It's a good shock. If you're looking for an AST setup I'd talk to Vorshlag. I was hoping to run a set of Modernbeat's Bilsteins but they weren't ready in the time I was looking to buy.

The other option is to get your current bilsteins rebuilt and custom valved for higher spring rates. That's a pretty inexpensive option. I'm sure Vorshlag or HVT could do that.

Either way I like to keep my business local. Great service and quick turnaround. Good conversation with local racers when you go to see them.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Either way I like to keep my business local. Great service and quick turnaround. Good conversation with local racers when you go to see them.
    I agree. I've had great service from Vorshlag and AST-USA.

World's shortest Bilstein!
    Impressive!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The other option is to get your current bilsteins rebuilt and custom valved for higher spring rates. That's a pretty inexpensive option.
    I thought about that route too....cost is around $100 each to re-valve (at Bilstein). I'd be in for $600 total, and can get adjustable Koni Races/Sports for around $800.

Race valved Koni sports are pretty harsh on the street. For a dual purpose car I would spend the money for some nice monotube shocks. The AST’s I have now ride much better than the Koni’s I had on the S2000 before. They also handle a bumpy autocross site much better. Koni sports + very high spring rates, are going to beat you up pretty bad on the street.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^Thanks Robert...good to know for sure. I definitely want something comfy on the street as well.

I can't agree with this enough. We are lucky to have HVT, AST-USA, and Vorshlag local to us. Take advantage of this.

I've not needed much in the way of support with my ASTs, but having local support has been priceless when I did need it. Case in point - an adjuster stuck on one of my 5100s. I noticed it at 8 PM one evening. Emailed Hanchey, he said to bring it in the following morning. So I pulled it off the car, arrived at AST-USA around 9 AM, and was on my way home with a completely rebuilt shock by 10:30 AM. Car was back on the road before lunchtime was over.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Race valved Koni sports are pretty harsh on the street. For a dual purpose car I would spend the money for some nice monotube shocks. The AST’s I have now ride much better than the Koni’s I had on the S2000 before. They also handle a bumpy autocross site much better. Koni sports + very high spring rates, are going to beat you up pretty bad on the street.
    I'll second this as well. Koni Sports aren't bad shocks for the price, but no matter how much you spend on them they will never perform as well as a monotube shock. The ASTs really shine on a bumpy surface like Mineral Wells or Eagles Canyon.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I have 2 almost new rear yellow konis or 2 used revalved rear konis

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by lostlorin View Post
    I have 2 almost new rear yellow konis or 2 used revalved rear konis
    Did you get that fish smell out of them yet?

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I can't agree with this enough. We are lucky to have HVT, AST-USA, and Vorshlag local to us. Take advantage of this...
    The real shop to take advantage of is MaxcySpeed. This is Stewart Maxcy's new shop. FWIW, Stewart did much of the valving development in the US versions of the ASTs and the AST 4150, all the development of the XIDA, was the go-to guy for the Grand-Am teams and is who I asked to develop the valving of the aluminum Bilsteins Vorshlag will be selling.

http://www.maxcyspeedco.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maxcy...79375758897141

Did you get that fish smell out of them yet?
    I don"t know. Never sniffed a shock.

You haven't lived!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

That's a no.

I drove JRJ's ASTs and they were nice. I also like the way my bilstein setup drove. Bang for the buck they were the best setup I've run. For under a grand I have custom valved shocks, coilovers, bump stops and extended travel top hats.

IF I had tons of money to spend I'd get some XIDAs. The club sports are great, but it's nice to have the double adjustable capability. So then you're looking at $4300 for the regular XIDA setup. NOW...MCS has entered the game and has a setup for the 90-05 miatas that may be great. May need some tweaking. Adrenaline racing is the exclusive dealer on them for now.

The club sports can be had with the fancy spherical bearing top hats for $2600 so that may still be a sweet bang for the buck setup.

FWIW it still comes down to driver. My el cheapo setup had no problem hanging with the big dollar setups. Kraig has koni sports on his car and it was pretty easy to drive when I tried it in Blytheville. Figure out what you're willing to spend and we go from there :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

What is the advantage of the spherical bearing top hats?

Low friction, but no flex from a plastic/rubber bushing.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Wags posted this on faceplant. Since the luddite does not facebook here it is:

To all my friends looking for an affordable street setup for your miata, this could be the setup for you.

These are prototype SuperMiata Tecna coilovers. We are developing these pretty much from scratch. Still in R&D phase right now. We hope to have these shipping by early 2014. These non-damping adjustable, low pressure gas, twin tube dampers feature powdercoated springs, anodized cnc aluminum collars and stainless steel bodies (not chrome). The goal is to provide the best ride quality possible for a lowered Miata possible for under $750 complete as pictured with factory NB mounts, ready to bolt in. Minimum ride height will just about allow control arms to run out of stroke for maximum rough road bottoming resistance. As a nice side effect of the extreme bump travel available and damping control, they will handle far better than any OTS OEM replacement shock. These are not race shocks or anything like Xidas. The prototype we're testing now have been track tested for durabilty and basic handling balance with excellent results. Good ride over big hits. We're still tweaking NVH over small bumps and coarse pavement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M3 is always the answer.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^Wags told me AST had some budget friendly, non-adjustables in the works.

PS
    You say luddite, I say non-sheep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast