Thread: Stuck Open Thermostat, Harmful?

Default Stuck Open Thermostat, Harmful?

I think my 06 has a stuck open thermostat. The needle of the temp gauge has been siting in the lower third of the scale since I got it. I was suspecting something wrong since the needle of the temp gauge does stay in the middle of the scale like most cars and not much heat coming out of the vent. I have never driven a NC and could not really tell. .... well...got a CEL p0126 on the way to work today! Is it harmful to my car to keep driving it until it gets warmer this weekend? The pointy board has a write up and is a up to 3 hrs job! The thermostat is buried under the intake and a couple bolts are hard to reach!
    Gabriel

Do you have a scangauge or other obd2 reader that can monitor actual temps? If so, then its prob OK to drive and keep it under 210 water temp. It prob wont warm up well. I might be able to help you on wed if you are off work like me, or Jack Junkies tomorrow night.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Won't the car run rich if the operating temp stays low?

Yep.
    Polished Turd Racing

It's not a 3 hr job and the pointy board is full of idiots. I swapped out my thermostat a couple months ago for the same reason on 06's. You won't harm your engine but should change it out when you get the chance. I'll help if needed and you can have some of my coolant so you don't have to buy two jugs at ~$20 apiece just one.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    you can have some of my coolant so you don't have to buy two jugs at ~$20 apiece just one.
    Now that you mention it, I have a brand new jug of FL-22 I'll sell for $10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

yes, i had to do mine about two months ago, tight quarters but easy enough.
    good luck.

Yep, an hour tops.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Now that you mention it, I have a brand new jug of FL-22 I'll sell for $10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    For $10 I will take it off your hand ... but you are so far from me! BTW, Nails, $20 is Mazda OEM from Town North? Is Zerex exact replacement of the OEM? The pointy board has multiple discussions of this!
    Gabriel

FWIW, I use Toyota long life coolant in my 95, mostly because I get it for free (there's always half bottles laying around the shop, and it's a 50/50 solution), but it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by effse7en View Post
    FWIW, I use Toyota long life coolant in my 95, mostly because I get it for free (there's always half bottles laying around the shop, and it's a 50/50 solution), but it works well.
    Aren't all the coolant from the Asian's OEMs are the same? I read something that they are all made by the same company in Japan!? Actually, I have some from Honda for my CRV.
    Gabriel

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    Aren't all the coolant from the Asian's OEMs are the same?
    I don't know, but the NC calls for FL22 and I didn't want to take a chance...don't know if 'regular' Prestone is the same thing.

Here's what mazda says:

To enhance service life, reduce waste material, and lower maintenance costs, a new long-life pre-mixed “FL22”
    engine coolant is being introduced into mass-production for the models shown above.

It is recommended that FL22 coolant continue to be used for models originally filled with FL22 coolant from the
    factory.
    CAUTION: FL22 coolant is “pre-mixed” and must be added to the cooling system as is. DO NOT ADD
    WATER TO FL22 COOLANT. Adding water will dilute the solution and lessen the effectiveness of
    the coolant.
    If coolant replacement becomes necessary for prior Mazda models (not originally filled with FL22 coolant), FL22
    coolant can be used. If FL22 coolant is used for prior models, be sure to place the FL22 sticker on the reserve
    tank or degas bottle to indicate FL22 coolant is being used.
    NOTE:
    • In the case of prior models, the coolant replacement interval is every five (5) years or 60,000 miles
    (96,000 km).

There is a Zerex version that is fl-22 compliant, but I still wouldn't mix them. For one, the color will become pretty nasty and hard to tell if something is wrong. After my motor swap, I went to the zerex stuff and it seemed to do a then job. I change pretty much all fluids yearly, so can't address the long life, but my radiator and expansion tank looked great after a year of the substitute stuff.
    Polished Turd Racing

I went to Mesquite Mazda and bought two jugs of factory fluid. I don't think $10-$20 saved is worth the risk to me.

Agreed, though I am certain there is no risk involved. Its just a long-life coolant, still based on the same chemistry. Dilution is the biggest enemy.

I only got Zerex because there was no Mazda dealer anywhere close to my old place in Desoto.
    Polished Turd Racing