Thread: I need a helment, anybody got a TCB deal?

Default I need a helment, anybody got a TCB deal?

I'd like to get a helment for auto-Xing, and track events. I've got a friend that also needs one so thats two helments. Anyone else need one? Maybe we can put together a group buy.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

I've got a couple of used Snell 95 helmets if interested...decent shape and would get you through the season...
    Phil O.
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

You can get a decent motorcycle helmet for under $100 at a motorcycle shop. Look for an M2000 unless M05 has come out, then get that.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I've got a full-face white (large) that's like new. Snell M2000. Left over from my motorcycle days. I'll make you a hell of a deal on it!

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/32-HJC-870

I am in the same boat, I need a helmet, but I need a new suspension more. If anyone has 2 extra at TCB prices, ill take one.

http://www.genuineaccessories.com/Closeout/COTU.htm

Heres a link someone posted awhile back, Bell / Rhodia Tourlite $69.

I want to save up for the bell open/closed face, but im nowhere near $250...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quick suggestion...

Don't go the TCB route on safety equipment. Buy the best that you can afford, especially if you're going to use this helmet for open track and/or Mineral Wells time trials.

Second, if you're going to use this helmet for open track, I'd suggest a full-face, SA rated helmet. Some tracks (Hallett is one) won't let you run with an M-rated helmet for safety reasons.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I've read that some clubs were no longer going to allow full face if you have Airbags? Thanks Sam, but I wear a Medium.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I'd suggest a full-face, SA rated helmet. Some tracks (Hallett is one) won't let you run with an M-rated helmet for safety reasons.
    I wasn't really wanting a full face, does Hallet require full face? And will they allow it with Airbags?

What's the SA vs. M ratings?
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    What's the SA vs. M ratings?
    SA = Special Application - meaning it has a fire-resistant lining for applications where quick exit of the vehicle isn't too easy.

M = Motorcycle - meaning it comes without the lining and is usually cheaper.

Talking

Don't go the TCB route on safety equipment. Buy the best that you can afford, especially if you're going to use this helmet for open track and/or Mineral Wells time trials.
    Ah what does Altiain know I spent $39.oo for a helmet about 4 years ago at a Suzuki Dealer and it has done a fine fine job!

I have a M class and have never been turned away at any track event. If I were motorcycle racing or Spec Miata racing, I'd want the best gear but since I'm in a car with a rollbar and I only do a few events a year, I feel confident with my M-Class helmet.

That fire-resistant lining also doubles the price of any helmet. I haven't seen a full face SA helmet for under $200 and most are much more $$$.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    I have a M class and have never been turned away at any track event. If I were motorcycle racing or Spec Miata racing, I'd want the best gear but since I'm in a car with a rollbar and I only do a few events a year, I feel confident with my M-Class helmet.

That fire-resistant lining also doubles the price of any helmet. I haven't seen a full face SA helmet for under $200 and most are much more $$$.
    Yea, I'm leaning to the M Class, I guess we'll just go to the local Motorcycle shop, probably the Suzuki/Honda shop on S. Cooper in Arlington.

Hallett does not require full-face helmets. They do require SA helmets, however, and will not let you run with an M helmet.

Most of the east & west coast track day organizations won't let you use an M helmet anymore. Expect it to become the norm for track days in this part of the country as well over the next few years.

Buy whatever suits you - just make sure it fits properly. Although I can't say I understand why anyone would want to skimp on safety equipment.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

There's a few old sayings among motorcyclist's...

If you have a $5 head, buy a $5 helmet, or...

If you don't think you need a helmet, you're probably right.

Hallett does not require full-face helmets. They do require SA helmets, however, and will not let you run with an M helmet.
    I checked with a co-worker who runs at Hallett from time to time and he confirmed they will inspect your helmet. However, he's been using a $50 TCB special for the past 3 years that is marked SNELL2000. I'd think if it was an SA it would say so but it makes no mention of fire resistance.