Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miata Focus Day Update - Part 2

I plan on being there early, about 9:00 myself so I can get the overhead parking area. I think we will actual start class time around 1-1:30 with our main track time around 4:30-5:00, so come anytime.

Thanks for your help.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Pay attention, grasshopper! He said to check the air before you left the house!!!
    "Yes Master Po..."
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Here we go! I'm leaving da hizzouse!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Wow, great event Gary! This was the perfect event to start tracking the car at. It was great to get a feel for the track and start picking out lines during the lead and follows.

Mick, thanks for the ride and the instruction! You were a great help. I don't know why I haven't been out to the track before now. I missed out on having Sebring, Moroso and Homestead in my backyard when I lived in FL.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Thanks everyone that was able to come, it was an awesome event without a hitch. Brian, who did the classroom instructions, did a great job. Sorry Jack, you are fired! We will request Brian to be our classroom instructor for our next event. Brian also made a comment that we were the best and most organized group he has ever worked with and said it was a pleasure working with us. He also said Mike P. did a great job organizing the group and made his job easier.

Some comments and observation. The hardest thing for a driver is to slow down! We all have this problem, but it is something we all need to practice. I noticed some drivers when they were doing the cool down lap had better entrance and exit lines than when they were driving at track speed! I know Bob Benson knows this to well, but you won't learn to drive well if you are fighting the car constantly through the turns. Almost ever turn at the Ranch makes a single arc. Practice this next time, but at a slower pace and add a little more speed as you go.

I was talking to a group of people after the event and asked how they did on the track. Four of the five said they could have used an instructor’s help. Please, ASK, we really want to help. Like any classroom with a group, know one wants to raise their hand and ask for assistance. That's fine, come ask us privately. It is always more fun when you get confident with you’re driving and can get a rhythm going.

Speaking of next events, we have another Focus Day scheduled, JUNE 18. Make yourself a note, NOW to schedule that day off. We will post more as we get closer.

Again, thanks everyone, we had an awesome time.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

First off I want to thank Gary and Mike for a wonderful first track day for me... it was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    Four of the five said they could have used an instructor’s help.
    On that note, I would really like to thank MadMerv for his patience and instruction during my first open track. He really showed me how well my own "stock" car can handle (scaring the crap out of me in the process ). He was even understanding when I went grass mowing coming out of Tombstone.

An absolutely great day...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Gary, thanks a lot for putting a great event together and your help! I was fortunate enough to have Gary's help early on. By the time for the open laps, I was "ready"! It was a ton of fun.

One suggestion, it will help the "too embarrased to ask for help people" to go over the driving line in the classroom before we do the L&Fs. I was still not driving the perfect line, but I followed a lot of cars that were all over the place.
    Gabriel

Gary:
    Speaking of next events, we have another Focus Day scheduled, JUNE 18. Make yourself a note, NOW to schedule that day off. We will post more as we get closer.
    June 18 is our "must do" S2K AX day! Do you have another date? Love to come again, but hate to choose between you and S2K! There is a thing calls "too much of a good thing" in single day!

Moderator God!, should this be moved to a new thread?
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong
    June 18 is our "must do" S2K AX day! Do you have another date? Love to come again, but hate to choose between you and S2K! There is a thing calls "too much of a good thing" in single day!
    Is there really a choice? I'd "almost" miss my wedding for a day at MSR!
    ...and across the line.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Is there really a choice?
    Yes there is.

I'd "almost" miss my wedding for a day at MSR!
    Yay.

I had a great time yesterday. I would like to especially thank Gary for planning and hosting and Sharpie for his tips and wisdom. I am looking forward to the next one.

On a seperate note I would like to compliment Tailchaser on his new haircut. No more Grizzly Adams! Moderators, please feel free to move this post to the appropriate haircare forum.

Odd... I *thought* I had some nice pictures of Andy's car from yesterday... They must have accidentally been deleted. Punk. What's wrong with Grizzly Adams anyway?

Photos are in the process of uploading as we speak. If anyone else needs photos hosted, you can e-mail them to me via drive at dfwmiata.com.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Teasers...

Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Is there really a choice?
    Yes there is.

I'd "almost" miss my wedding for a day at MSR!
    Yay.
    Ya had to have been there. Good times!
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Odd... I *thought* I had some nice pictures of Andy's car from yesterday... They must have accidentally been deleted. Punk. What's wrong with Grizzly Adams anyway?

Photos are in the process of uploading as we speak. If anyone else needs photos hosted, you can e-mail them to me via drive at dfwmiata.com.
    SWEET!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

TC sorry I didn't get to take more pics for you

Ha, Ha, Andy said I had wisdom. I had him fooled You did great out there. You're safe and you know what to work on next time. Think about some sway bars, you'll appreciate them.

It's hard to be out there and not drive. Forgot to wear sunscreen, that was a mistake, face has some red tone now.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I came out for about an hour. I dont guess many of yall recognized me from S2000 autoX's. Looked like yall were having a good time. Here are a few of the photos I took.

RUF was sweet!

Porsche was sick!
    ]
    1997 Acura Integra GSR Sedan

Good pictures and good comments. Please, if anyone has a comment good or bad, we can learn from them. No matter how much you tell someone how to drive through a turn there is not substitute for track time, something hard to come by.

We also shot a video though a lipstick camera in our grill which we will put up on our Track Dog website. This camera angle in my opinion give you the best view for seeing the entrance, apex and exit of a turn. We talked about the asphalt line, where the asphalt was laid down leaving a seam entering Rattlesnake, this shows up really good with this video. This should make a great learning video. We will let you know when it comes up on the site.

As for the next track day, I believe the other date that was available was June 11, June 25 the track was booked. I did not want to go much further in the summer due to the hotter weather. I know this may not make a difference to some, but we have to fill the group and there are those that would not come. I really don't want to open it up to other makes of cars.

Speaking of other cars, I did enjoy watching Darrel in his 914, he was doing great out there and I could tell he was having fun.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

It turned out to be a really nice day and I enjoyed getting to meet some of you finally. I won't be around for the next event as I will be in Houston for the Formula D competition with Bryan that weekend kicking Nissan a$$ and hopefully winning one for the Miata's. I do look forward to meeting more of you at future events.

Chris
    '91 Silverstone Greddy,Centerforce,Link,Tokico,GC,Momo,Signal,

Stiffy Chassis Systems " My Miata is sporting a Stiffy"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast