Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miata Focus Day Update - Part 2

Great pics guys!

THANK YOU TRACK DOG AND MIKE for hauling my car back to Dallas on Sunday. I really appreciated the help and enjoyed the company.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    Four of the five said they could have used an instructor’s help.
    On that note, I would really like to thank MadMerv for his patience and instruction during my first open track. He really showed me how well my own "stock" car can handle (scaring the crap out of me in the process ).
    I didn't REALLY scare you, did I
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2002

Porsche was sick!
    ]
    SICK? He was flying.............
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    I was talking to a group of people after the event and asked how they did on the track. Four of the five said they could have used an instructor’s help. Please, ASK, we really want to help.......
    Gary
    There were plenty of instructors standing around just before the last session. I even wondered up and down the grid and not one driver asked for help. I hope it wasn't intimidation. We were there to help, not judge.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Let's just say that first lap when you went flying through Big Bend in fourth... I was gripping the door handle a bit harder than usual...

I did manage to put a lot of it to use in second open sessions. I even figured out how to get through the horseshoe/Boot Hill/Tombstone complex... Good times...

Did you manage to get all the flying grass out of your helmet?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Let's just say that first lap when you went flying through Big Bend in fourth... I was gripping the door handle a bit harder than usual...

I did manage to put a lot of it to use in second open sessions. I even figured out how to get through the horseshow/Boot Hill/Tombstone complex... Good times...

Did you manage to get all the flying grass out of your helmet?
    I just took it home for the horse to eat.........

Man that was a ton of fun! Really apprecate the efforts of Gary and Mike P. and I''m sure there were others who played a part in putting together the perfect day at MSR!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Man that was a ton of fun! Really apprecate the efforts of Gary and Mike P. and I''m sure there were others who played a part in putting together the perfect day at MSR!

Thanks!
    Yes... thank you very much to Gary for putting things together, Mike for keeping us organized, Trackfiend for keeping us safe, all of the wonderful instructors offering their time, TC for my new wallpaper, and MSR Red Miata for everything from 3 great classroom talks to the guiding voice on the radio.

Yes, thanks a bunch to all the helped. I will speak up next time for instructor help- I didn't expect there was enough to go around. Next time I'll make sure.

Just for reference, I was curious about speeds through some of the corners. Typically, I was entering Big Bend at around 80-83 mph without any brakes... and hit 95 before braking for Rattlesnake.
    Are these numbers laughable or average?
    For reference, I would like to hear some numbers from Gary and Mad Merv.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    Yes, thanks a bunch to all the helped. I will speak up next time for instructor help- I didn't expect there was enough to go around. Next time I'll make sure.

Just for reference, I was curious about speeds through some of the corners. Typically, I was entering Big Bend at around 80-83 mph without any brakes... and hit 95 before braking for Rattlesnake.
    Thanks again.
    NO BRAKES??????? What kind of tires were you running? I've never been able to, though I have tried....... OK, so I might be a little faster coming in (85-86), but scrub off a few by the time I track out. Ninety-five is good fo a normally aspirated Miata...don't know what you've got.

NO BRAKES??????? What kind of tires were you running? I've never been able to, though I have tried....... OK, so I might be a little faster coming in (85-86), but scrub off a few by the time I track out. Ninety-five is good fo a normally aspirated Miata...don't know what you've got.
    I was definitely scrubbing speed by track out. Too scared to keep my foot buried in it. It's all about comfort level for me.
    FYI- I drive a stock '00 with the sport suspension and Azenis'. From the reports, I expect to change tires next go-round to try the Hankook RS-2's.

Any other numbers out there?

I was definitely scrubbing speed by track out. Too scared to keep my foot buried in it. It's all about comfort level for me.
    FYI- I drive a stock '00 with the sport suspension and Azenis'. From the reports, I expect to change tires next go-round to try the Hankook RS-2's.

Any other numbers out there?
    That and I can post some video of your brake lights...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Thanks again.
    NO BRAKES??????? What kind of tires were you running? I've never been able to, though I have tried....... OK
    Ummm... he was doing that in my stock '04 with the factory orgional Bridgestone's... Now you know why I was griping the door handle so hard...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I expect to change tires next go-round to try the Hankook RS-2's.
    I am now a huge fan of the RS-2's they seemed to work quite well on Vivid's car on Saturday!

I wish I had thought to bring a stop watch to see how everyone was doing....... Mike P was haulin'

Best weather we've ever had out there!!!!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Speaking of tires, I can not say enough about the Kuhmo MX 205/50-15 tires. For the track they are excellent, to the point I have more fun with these than my track tires. Of course having a great setup with the Tein Flex dampener and RB sway bars helps a lot, but between the Azena's I have run, I would give the MX the node.

The Azenas start loosing their grip as they heat up or as you are getting toward the end of a session lots of times where the MX felt the same to me from the beginning to the end. On the street they do not start roaring as they get older and so far the wet traction has been good as well.

I have talked about the PPF power frame stiffener before and can say with confidence this is a must adder for your car. Instead of upsetting your car when you are on and off the gas, the PPF keeps everything solid. With the PPF I was able to shift through the turn and never move off the arc I was in. Something to think about.

Thought I would pass this on for more good information.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

That and I can post some video of your brake lights..
    Feel free to do that. I would like everyone to see me fubar Tombstone, yet again. I must say that I probably improved throughout the day, however. I don't recall any traffic during the 2nd session.

My friend Darryl (914) was running laps at 1'34"- 1'36", according to hisstopwatch. I think those are the correct numbers.

I wish I knew what kind of lap times I was running. I guess it's just my competitve nature. Funny how my instructor at MSR is going to be some of my E-stock competition here in Dallas.

The 14" Azenis held up very well, but like Gary was saying they do begin to get a little greasy at the end of the session. And they are loud as hell on the highway. I was interested in trying the Hankooks next time I need street tires.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast