Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NTAXS Winter Autocross, 1/25/2014, Dallas Raceway

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Tailchaser, go play in class 2 where the NC belongs!
    Based on the entries so far in class 2, I'd say that would be kind of rude to class 2... Maybe you should talk with the management about restructuring the rules?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I'm now making it my mission to beat you in whatever class you run!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I'm now making it my mission to beat you in whatever class you run!
    Sweet!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I just saw the Texas SCCA solo Facebook post... Looks like Dallas Raceway sold again. Will this impact this event?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCann View Post
    I just saw the Texas SCCA solo Facebook post... Looks like Dallas Raceway sold again. Will this impact this event?
    What effect this will have on the 2014 schedule is yet to be seen. The new owners have not released their intentions for the site. We'll let you know as soon as we hear back from the site management.

Geez ... talk about deja vu ... it's 2013 all over again. Someone really needs to build a dedicated SOLO palace somewhere in the Metroplex.

Quote Originally Posted by BatoLoco13 View Post
    Geez ... talk about deja vu ... it's 2013 all over again. Someone really needs to build a dedicated SOLO palace somewhere in the Metroplex.
    We have one, its called Mineral Wells and most regions would kill for a site half its size, rough asphalt and all. Unfortunately, people don't want to drive out there, even less than they did 5 years ago.

A dedicated site would require a several million dollar investment at minimum, and most autox events generate barely enough to cover costs and replace equipment and cones. There are good venues that nobody rents (Jerry World and the Rangers Ballpark) because they cost too much, so it would be $75+ entry fees.

The Crandall site was on the market for $6 million, which would leave a hefty tax bill and operating costs to cover even if someone with deep pockets wanted to park $6 million in a real estate investment (seagoville isnt exactly a burgeoning area), 40 autox events a year @$1000 each wouldn't cover the taxes and bare minimum operating costs. Let's assume you could sublet the drag strip operations and generate another $100k in revenue for the owner (seems optimistic to me), that's still a piss-poor ROI, less than even CD, I'd guess.

You can't pave/repave another lot for under $1million, so a cheap retail/commercial lot that gets repurposed for autox still requires more investment than all the clubs and SCCA/BMW/PCA national office support can produce, even if there was a compelling reason to do so.

Face it: this is par for the course, and anyone who wants to knock on doors and help locate fresh sites will be appreciated by everyone.
    Polished Turd Racing

I vote to just move it to Mineral Wells! I'm ready for the season to start. I hate to lose a site, but I would rather lose Crandall than MW anytime. Hardcore racers will show up anywhere.

A dedicated site would require a several million dollar investment at minimum, and most autox events generate barely enough to cover costs and replace equipment and cones.
    Several million bucks just to put down a patch of pavement? If you could find some bare land centrally located and put down the pavement you'd be done. Just have to find that magic central spot that won't cost an arm and a leg for the real estate ... or in this case a set of custom wheels and high priced coilovers ... and throw down a big patch of concrete. Cost wise probably run a mill or two at most. You have 5 clubs that run in the DFW area. You could fill up every weekend between March and November. Throw in some vending machines or a trailer selling snowballs during the summer for extra income. Still not a great investment ROI wise nor would you get rich but feasible. Just need someone that loves the sport that has money to spare like that McShane Dude. Or even a rich club like the SCCA to take the initiative. Just my opinion ... what the heck do I know. I barely survived my Novice season in a 20 year old junker.

SCCA isn't even close to rich. They just have larger numbers and membership, so they can invest in better equipment. They still face the same issues as the small clubs, just on a different scale. BMW, SCCA and PCA also have club race/track events that can generate much bigger dollars, but also lose BIG money when something doesn't work. SCCA Club Racing had to eat $18K on a race that cancelled due to low entries last year.

Again, I think you misjudge the $$ that actually flow through this sport. Even the SCCA Nationals with 1000+ entries and a large ProSolo Finale on back-to-back weeks doesn't make enough money to support a purpose-built/club-owned facility that wouldn't be anything more complicated than a 20-40 acre concrete or asphalt lot.
    Polished Turd Racing

Disregard
    Last edited by POS Racing; 01-11-2014 at 10:02 PM.

That event failed mostly because it was at Mineral Wells. There are probably 40 to 50 hard core racers in the metroplex that are willing to drive 80 to 100 miles to the events out in Mineral Wells. But for us weekend warriors who's family do not support our fantasies and only allowed a few hours a month it's just not practical. Especially anything that involves multiple days.

I'm sorry I didn't mean that the SCCA or anyone else comes up with the money upfront. Of course it would take financing. Just need deep pockets or a National association to back the loans. Banks just are not as generous as they use to be.

But all this is a mute moot point. There is a need to find a couple more suitable locations. preferably ones that are not a 2 hour one way drive away for the majority of participants. I'll be looking through Google satellite images to find unaware naked woman sunbathing in their back yards and for big ... no pun intended ... I think ... parking lots.
    Last edited by BatoLoco13; 01-12-2014 at 03:20 PM.

The SCCA race I'm mentioning was a club race at ECR. Different altogether.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
    the scca race i'm mentioning was a club race at ecr. Different altogether.
    rif!

Sorry though you meant last years SCCA national type event at mineral wells. And POS I think you might want to redo your math. Last I remember TMS was 1,000 feet by 500 feet. With a 4" thickness is not 125,000 cubic yards of concrete ... not even close.
    1,000*500*.33=165,000 cubic Feet. 27 cubic feet to 1 cubic yard. 165,000/27=6,111 cubic cards of concrete.

Opps my bad!

The cost to Install a Concrete Pad averages $3.65 - $4.14 per square foot in 2013.
    For shits and giggles, I entered 500,000 sf into an online calculated that takes regional costs into its values, and it estimated $1.6 million for material and labor. Seems like you'd need a site and permits too...

http://www.homewyse.com/services/cos...crete_pad.html

Also just noted that sales tax and GC costs are not included in that number, so its probably closer to 1.8 million. Is there a term for Epic, Epic FAIL??
    Polished Turd Racing

For shits and giggles, I entered 500,000 sf into an online calculated that takes regional costs into its values, and it estimated $1.6 million for material and labor. Seems like you'd need a site and permits too...

Also just noted that sales tax and GC costs are not included in that number, so its probably closer to 1.8 million. Is there a term for Epic, Epic FAIL??
    If we raised entry fees to a couple thousand bucks per event that might work!

The cost of material is pretty close. I calculated $1.2mm purchasing everything off the shelf at Home Depot. 40 to 50% discount for bulk purchasing is about right. But $750k for 15,700hrs of labor? That is $47.77 an hour. Maybe in New York but not in Texas. More like $10 an hour at most. I'm even willing to give a bonus. Lets make it $200k. I just saved you $550k .... Your welcome

Like I said before mute moot point. Lets concentrate on finding other locations in the Metroplex that already exist.
    Last edited by BatoLoco13; 01-12-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Let's mute the moot point.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast