Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insurance company adjuster help...

It is one of those win some, lose some stories. I was able to get the adjuster's supervisor/trainer to admit the original adjuster did not know what he was writing up (it became a teaching moment for the inexperienced adjuster, at my expense). The generic welded in cheepie-converter magically transformed into a direct fit factory style with a 5-year warranty and OEM oxygen sensors. The damaged muffler would still be a welded kluge of factory stub and aftermarket adapters. The claims person would not even consider my demand for a new muffler with correct interface flanges and seals (it is a FLEX joint!)... I only felt a little unreasonable at that one. Anyway, the final settlement still did not cover half of the stealership estimate for factory replacement of all damage parts. They did gracefully agree to tow the car back to my house.

As of this morning I have ordered the factory OEM cat, muffler, seals, sensors, bolts, bells and whistles to be installed by a trusted mechanic (me) this weekend. The settlement value, my deductible, and hours of TCB web searching will more than likely net out the same as the settlement version installed by Midas. Of course I will now have the next drug-fix for the local crack head kindly awaiting his battery powered sawzall under my factory correct Element.

It is hard not to hate... but I am trying. I hope it was worth it to them.
    Currently Miata-less... 2007 Brilliant Black NC PRHT, to replace 2006 Winning Blue NC, to replace 2002 SE, to replace 1993 LE #1322 and so on and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by mildensteve View Post
    It is hard not to hate... but I am trying. I hope it was worth it to them.
    I read they're worth about 50 bucks...to the guy that somehow figures out how to sell it to a recycler. To the sawzall operator, the value is probably closer to a couple of rocks. Hopefully this helps you hate the thievin bastards

Good to see you'll get your toaster back to OEM emission spec. Rig a cattle prod up to it while you're under there.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    I read they're worth about 50 bucks...to the guy that somehow figures out how to sell it to a recycler.
    I have sold cats to an online recycler before and it was crazy how easy it was:

1. I texted them photos (a Miata OEM cat and a pair of aftermarket cats that I sawzalled off my Tahoe when they went bad).
    2. They then texted me back a quote (I think it was $100 for the oem Mazda cat and $10/ea for the aftermarket ones).
    3. I excepted and texted him my email address.
    4. He emailed me a prepaid UPS label.
    5. I shipped the cats to him.
    6. A few days after the cats got there, they sent me $120 via paypal.

Wow, I have a civic cat that was after market with the exhaust manifold in my garage. Where do I sell it?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Wow, I have a civic cat that was after market with the exhaust manifold in my garage. Where do I sell it?
    Aftermarket ones are only $10. I don't think they would even take them unless you bundled it with an OEM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12