Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody wanna install a new motor into a SPEC?

Default Anybody wanna install a new motor into a SPEC?

My buddy is dropping a new blinged up motor into his spec this weekend. I'm not sure yet if he needs help, but if he does, anybody wanna help?
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Damn... I would but the other half has plans for this weekend.

RJ

Default Re: Anybody wanna install a new motor into a SPEC?

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    My buddy is dropping a new blinged up motor into his spec this weekend. I'm not sure yet if he needs help, but if he does, anybody wanna help?
    I hope it's not another one of those hi-compression ones like we've seen before.........
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    I hope it's not another one of those hi-compression ones like we've seen before.........
    Isn't that against the rules???

Who's going to tear it down to check?

There are no random checks like NASCAR.

No idea on the compression. Not that I would tell if I knew.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Easy tiger. Do you know the whole story?

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    Easy tiger. Do you know the whole story?
    Well, for those of us that don't have a clue... anyone care to share the details as to what in the hell you guys are talking about?

There seems to be two levels of spec this year in SPEC. Rumors are that several teams are using juiced engines. The changes are undetectable by the current NASA/SCCA Spec inspection processes, but significantly improve performance. I suspect this will continue until NASA or SCCA start looking into engine internals.

Several other classes require sealed engines from a specific supplier to control this problem.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Several other classes require sealed engines from a specific supplier to control this problem.
    I wish they would do that!!

What is the typical cost for a sealed engine like the Miata’s? $2000? $3000? $5000? I am sure there are concerns that it would drive up the price to get on the track. It may not be a big deal for some of the more serious/competitive racers, but the big appeal of SPEC Miata for many is the fact that you can get a car on the track for very little money. Currently, a do-it-yourself guy like CM will likely get out there for under $10k. A sealed engine would likely drive up CM's cost to get on the track by 25% or more.

Well,

A F500 Sealed Rotax Motor is about $3000. The juiced engines are running over $8000 - $12,000 (from what I have heard). So my gut feeling is that a sealed 100-105hp (Basically a junk yard motor with new fresh internals and valves) motor would cost significantly less than a juicing program.

The idea of SPEC miata is to keep the cost down. By allowing the juicing for the benefit of the few, the NASA and SCCA leaders have really gotten away from the Spirit of Spec. I don't know if they are overwelmed with the popularity of SM and this wil narrow the field or what. The FUN of racing is getting a bunch of cars with a very similar setup testing the driver's skill. It's no fun to have a select group of cars getting 15 - 20 more HP. I have shyed away from SM because frankly I cannot afford the engine programs.

SPEC is now "SPEC"
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Suspension Modder

I think the SCCA should steal an idea from the dirt-oval playbook and have a $1,000 engine claim rule.

In other words, an SM competitor is required to sell his or her engine to any other competitor for $1,000. If he/she refuses, they are disqualified from the race and are not allowed to come back until they agree to sell it.

This will end the "juiced" engine problem- I doubt you could build a good high-comp Miata engine for $1,000, so the cheaters in the class will not be able to afford to give away their engine after every race- and if they CAN afford it, it will eventually level the playing field.

Any thoughts?
    Chris W. 96M Miata :)

The problem is that, to some drivers, it is "win at any cost", and there are a good number of those that have the mean$ to do that. For the rest of us, it's frustrating. Some cheat to stay up with the big boy$, while some of us would never consider that option..... Neither NASA or the SCCA have the man-power to police a class as large as Spec Miata. The most ironic piece to this puzzle is that some of the cheaters are good enough to win without it, which I just don't understand......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I *like* the $1000 rule

I will be in this for the spirit of it... not for the nastiness of spending tons of money to tweak out every ounce of HP from the engine.

I've even declined offers from more than one person to help me port & polish the head before I put it back in. I want to stay within the rules and play fair. I know I'll get my ass kicked in racing but that's mainly because I'm a n00b.

In looking at the costs of putting the car together I think I'll have the most money spent on the roll cage and the paint... after that will be suspension setup... everything else will be nickle/dime compared.

It just seems that in every good thing there are a few @$$wipes that like to break the rules and screw everyone else in the process.

RJ

Building a car within the rules and going out and driving my a&& off is what racing is about for me. The problem with engines in SM is that the rules are very poorly written. Adapting the rule set from showroom stock worked great while the class was taking off. Now that it's the largest class and growing (and going national) it's far beyond time for some revisions. ANYTHING other than a sealed motor system means that people WILL take apart their engines and tinker to try to make them better. If you're not doing that and you expect to be competitive, you're crazy. You're also crazy if you INTENTIONALLY build an illegal car. Situations will arise along the way where the rules will be grey and you might get bitten. Situations might also arise where a small mistake in one of the allowed modifications renders the car illegal. It's possible that this won't be noticed until it's too late.

I think sealed motors is a great idea! It would save everyone money in the long run and would help even the playing field even more.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Speaking of dirt track . . . I remember a process of filling the combustion area with premeasured liquid to determine the size. Do it at TDC and you should be able to tell if the compression is not in spec. Filling was done through the spark plug hole = no tear down.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I figure that some of the unnamed folks 'round these parts will have extras of multicolored panels

The real $$$ is going to be in paint!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Hey CM, make sure you have plenty of spare, straight body panels to replace the ones that get wrecked during racing...
    3Bean? You taking your hunt for lightness to a new level?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast