Thread: Tire installer recommendation

Default Tire installer recommendation

Just ordered new Rivals and need to get them mounted and balanced. Can anyone recommend a place in the Flower Mound (home) or Southlake/Westlake (work) areas? I'd like to find a place that will balance them well and won't scratch up my wheels.

I suppose I could trek down to TX Track Works from work.

Thanks.
    '09 Marble White

Most Discount Tires know what they are doing.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Chassis Designer

Location doesn't exactly apply but don't go to the NTB in The Colony off of 121 and Main st. They put 2 of my directional tires on backwards.
    2002 Mazda Miata LS Silver 6speed. Racing Beat Dual Exhaust, HDHCHTDD roll bar, Racing Beat Front Sway Bar, Whiteline end links.

I wouldn't assume anyone knows what they're doing at a tire shop unless you know them personally. I had a terrible experience with the Discount Tire off I35 in Lewisville.

Long story short, brought a brand new set of wheels and tires, and had them literally unbox them and mount/balance them. I personally mounted them to the car at home. I noticed a scuff on the inside edge of the outer lip (right next to the bead), drove over to complain, they denied it all and said I had to have hit a curb.

My advice, if you don't want your wheels damaged, take detailed pictures of each wheel before handing them off then inspect them when you get them back.

And they will use screwdrivers to pry off old weights, I have the scuffs to prove it.

I've had good luck with Advanced Tire and Repair in Denton. They didn't damage my wheels, they seemed to be balanced well, and the best part - $50 for all 4 mounted and balanced. The local discount tire wanted something like $100 IIRC.
    Now Miata-less. '05 STR S2000.
    Texas A&M Grassroots and Formula SAE Driver

Go to the DT at 121 and Ohio in Plano, ask for Todd Eaddy. He is the gm and a racer himself. Many folks with very high dollar wheels/tires/cars go out of their way to deal with his shop. They know what they are doing, and they will give you a good price if you mention that you were referred by this forum, and probably even if you don't.
    Polished Turd Racing

I've been taking mine to the Discount Tire at Grapevine Mills. I haven't had a problem. They are a little bit expensive, but seem to do good work. I've also taken tires to the Firestone at FM Road and 2499, too expensive; and to Hamms at Fox & Edmunds, cheaper but I worried about quality.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Quote Originally Posted by karter74 View Post
    And they will use screwdrivers to pry off old weights, I have the scuffs to prove it.
    Well what the hell do you expect us to use...

A plastic scraper. Like I use when I do my own at Jack Junkies.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by effse7en View Post
    Well what the hell do you expect us to use...
    Gently caress it until they come off?

Looks like I've got a few good options.

I remember briefly meeting Todd Eaddy at an event last year, but completely forgot he's with DT. Good reminder, thanks.
    '09 Marble White

Todd Eaddy is the man. Called him up and he said to come on over... then personally installed my tires during what appeared to be a very busy day. Thanks Todd.

Wish I had bought the tires from him. Next time.

Mike -- thanks for the recommendation.
    '09 Marble White