Thread: Tommy Saunders

Default Tommy Saunders

I know this is the wrong forum, but for those of us autocrossers who don't look around the rest of the site it's important to see this.

http://www.newsherald.com/news/crime...lcony-1.293562

Tragic.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Very, very saddened to hear this. Tommy was a fixture on the local and National autocross scene, and he touched many lives over his time in the paddock.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Very sad news, he will be missed by a lot of people.

Terrible. Tommy was a great person and an asset to SCCA. Huge loss.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I haven't been to the SCCA AX for several years but I still remember him. RIP!
    Gabriel

Thanks, Brian. Tommy will be sorely missed.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Wow...tragic news. RIP Tommy.

Wow. I don't know where to begin. The pain Rachel must be feeling. The pain of his family. The lost to the solo community. He will be missed. Please pray for all in their time of need.
    M3 is always the answer.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Wow, what a shock. RIP Tommy.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Fine man that helped lots of drivers and many of juniors. Good flights to ya Tommy....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    Fine man that helped lots of drivers and many of juniors. Good flights to ya Tommy....
    amen Steve

and a hell of a funny character who would do anything no matter how crazy

an example -- in about 1988 a bunch of us are in a convoy going to SCCA Nationals in Salina KS

Tommy is towing a vette with a 1960-or so Ford Econoline, the one with the straight six sitting between the two seats

just outside of OK City, it dies

after messing around, he decides it is fuel pump

no problem, he pulls the engine cover, and pours gas directly into the top of the carb using a coke bottle

went several miles to the next exit

if it had spit back, would have been ugly

and then there are the golf kart stories from Topeka

he'll be missed
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Jennifer & I have known Tommy since we started autocrossing back 1986. He was and always will be an icon of the sport, TX Region and much more. He made an impact in so many profound ways and lived life as so many should... with a smile on his face! Tommy will be sorely missed. RIP friend

Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

One time his fan belt broke on the van on the way to Topeka. He pulled the dog house and spun the water pump by hand until he could get to an auto parts store. Of course my most vivid memory was scaring him and me pretty badly when I was a noob. I ran right out in front of the Van Diemen trying to pick up a downed cone. He probably missed me by 2 inches. He was so much faster than the driver in front of him that I didn't have the 20 seconds I was expecting. I'm glad he was a great driver.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

One memory I have was at a MW event in the middle of summer(maybe a pro-solo?). He had just come off course and stopped the dragon very close to where I was standing with a water bottle. He was waving and pointing, and I thought I was blocking him, so I backed up. He got even more animated, finally raising his visor and yelling "spray me, spray me!" Fortunately, I realized he meant the radiator, and I pretty much emptied my bottle cooling his nearly-overheated car. He later came-up to me and offered to water my tires when I was running. I was still pretty new to SCCA, adn just thought it was the coolest thing ever that I got to help TOMMY SAUNDERS! After that, he made a point to say "hi" at every event. I learned how to lead novice walks from Tommy, among other things. I can't help but smile when I think about him.
    Polished Turd Racing

For those of you that missed it, here’s a link to the KDFW 4 report about Tommy.

Greg Piper did a nice job talking about our friend!!!

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/25027414/texas-man-dies-in-fall-from-florida-hotel-balcony

We haven’t heard anything from the family on plans yet. If we hear something, I’ll pass it along.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Greg did a great job. And I'm glad the report was sensitive to the nature of this tragedy.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

GodSpeed. R.I.P. Prayers sent.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

For those of you not following TX Region SCCA on Facebook or our email list, here's the info about Tommy's memorial service:

Thomas Henry Saunders (better known as Tommy), 62, of Southlake, Texas passed away on March 19, 2014 in Panama City Beach, FL.

He was born February 9, 1952 to Thomas and Marilyn (Switzer) Saunders. Tommy grew up in New London, Ohio where he graduated High School in 1970. After high school he attended Purdue University where he received his Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Engineering in 1975.

Tommy was a Boeing 777 Captain with American Airlines, where he worked for over 35 years. He had a love for flying, racing, traveling and most of all, family. He had a passion for the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) where he won 12 Solo-National Championships during his 25-year tenure from 1983 to 2008.

He leaves to cherish his memory his sister, Candy Murtagh of Shelby Township, Michigan and brother, Craig Saunders of Huron, Ohio. He has three daughters: Laurie Saunders Haag, Kristen Harper and Rachel Saunders as well as three grandchildren (Ashley, Madison & Ryan).

Visitation for family and friends will be held from 6-8pm Friday, April 4th at JE Foust Funeral Homein Grapevine, Texas. A memorial service will be held at 11am Saturday April 5th, at First United Methodist Church, located at 422 Church Street, Grapevine, Texas.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Outstanding memorial to a fine man and a true champion of our sport. Fast, clean runs to you brother....

Glad to hear. Had him and the family in my thoughts the past few days. I regret that I was unable to attend, but I just can't do funerals anymore after burying my brother and sister.
    Polished Turd Racing