Thread: FWD CV boots: level of difficulty?

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Question FWD CV boots: level of difficulty?

Got a beater that needs outer CV boots. I know, this necessitates halfshaft removal. In theory it seems straightforward, but I've never done this.

For what it's worth, I'm not a complete mechanical gimp. Do my own oil changes and brakes -- including drums, though I HATE those. I can handle shocks, timing belt, and roll bar install on Ye Olde MX5 -- but this also seems to be one of the easiest cars in the world to work on.

So, should I try it? This service may determine the fate of the car, which is a 1991 Nissan Stanza with 187k. Before you balk, know that the car has had one VERY fastidious owner since new and had a JDM-pull motor installed less than 20k miles ago. It's not worth paying someone to do, since the car's market value is low. But if I can do it myself for the cost of parts, I'm looking at a pretty reliable beater that I can get some use out of before selling it.

Any and all input welcome, including the inevitable thread drift. (Because sometimes that's fun to read.)

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace
    ...including the inevitable thread drift. (Because sometimes that's fun to read.)
    What thread drift? Here, never!

Question is this, do you have service manual for the car? I'm just wondering how easy it is to remove the halfshafts...

I replaced the halfshafts on a '93 Integra once. What a crappy job that was.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I lived through swapping them out on my wife's Civic... Which means anyone should be able to hack it.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    What thread drift? Here, never!

Question is this, do you have service manual for the car? I'm just wondering how easy it is to remove the halfshafts...
    Looks like the backend is about to break loose...

I need to start making it a point to get a service manual when I get a new car. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about some of the different choices?

Yep... the drift has begun!

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Manual? Don't those, like, cost money? Besides, the Japanese are usually pretty good about designing for servicability. I was kind of hoping that, if I could do it at all, and I'm starting to think I can (which in itself could be dangerous), then I could do one side at a time and use the other as a guide.

Maybe that "library" thing has a manual I can borrow. Because another problem with manuals is not getting rid of them with the car. I still have one for the 84-85 Accord. (Now THAT thing was bulletproof. Shoulda kept it.)

Come to think of it, I oughta peruse the Accord manual for an overview of the process...

Thanks y'all!

Wink cv halfshaft

the posting was place in 4/27, so i'm guessing that this doesn't need to be answered, but just in case, to get a cv halfshaft just push it in before popping it out...
    Last edited by Mouglie; 07-11-2005 at 03:21 AM.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie
    the posting was place in 4/27, so i'm guessing that this doesn't need to be answered, but just in case, to get a cv halfshaft just push it in before popping it out...
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I lived through swapping them out on my wife's Civic... Which means anyone should be able to hack it.
    When you did the Civic, did you get the whole half shaft and then give them the ones you took out, or did you have them rebuilt? I'm going to have to do my 96' Accord and 97' Civic eventually. The Accord is more noisy so I guess I'll attack it first.

OTM tech day?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    When you did the Civic, did you get the whole half shaft and then give them the ones you took out, or did you have them rebuilt? I'm going to have to do my 96' Accord and 97' Civic eventually. The Accord is more noisy so I guess I'll attack it first.

OTM tech day?
    Bought the whole deal from Autozone... Driver's side was $64, pass was $54 after returning core. Lifetime warranty on either, so it's just the time spent sweating from here on out.

I'll be glad to help when the time comes... I'd recommend picking up replacement castle nuts before starting tear-down.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Driver
    Blog Entries

Actually, I haven't done it yet. Just drove the car as-is for a while, then started getting fuel starvation problems (hopefully just the fuel filter) and parked it. I did find a reputable shadetree guy who quoted $250 parts and labor for the job, so I have been mulling that option. (Can you tell it hasn't been a priority?)

But if youse guys do a FWD tech day, I'll come help fo' sho' -- perfect learning opportunity! :)

On some FWD cars, the most difficult part of this repair is getting the castle-nut off. On the CRX, I ended up cutting the left side off. Same was true for Wayne's Civic Si. Rebuilt axle units are relatively cheap, so go to Pep Boys and buy a Hanes manual if you think it necessary, and have at it. It helps if you have an air wrench available....
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

I've run away from that job time and time again. I'm not afraid of wrenches; my mechanical experience is similar to yours.
    Last summer I got both halfshafts on the old Jetta replaced at Sears in Denton for $200 parts and labor -- they were running a special. It was not a high priority job so I could wait for the right deal to come along. They did a good job. I figured I paid about $30 to avoid doing each side myself and that was money well spent.

Talking 4/27

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    What?
    yah sorry, the 4/27 deal was the join date, not the post date, i'm still new around this site...
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....