Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine apparently still pinging.

Default Engine apparently still pinging.

I think due to the heat, hard driving, & forgetting to use premium at the SCCA event, it appears the engine is still pinging I noticed it pinging approching the back chicanes in the 3rd run. Not near as bad as before, but still there.

Now I havent noticed any noise on the street, but then agian I have had premium in it for the last week & half, & havent really driven it extremely hard either.

I dont mind using premium if I end up having to, as it seems to cure it now, but I really want to check the timing isnt wacky.

Does anyone have a timing light that wouldnt mind helping me out this weekend?? I can bring beer or whatever.

Have you Seafoamed it yet?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

^ A search would reveal yes...
    j/k man :P

Yea I ran seafoam, deep creep, everything else, 2 weeks ago. It cured it for awhile, but its back, in smaller form, but still back.

New NGK plugs / wires, new fuel filter...timing is really the only thing I havent done yet.

What is your timing set at Sparky??

I believe you recently moved to a new place about a mile from me? PM me your number and I will call you when I get home tonight... we can check it in a matter of 5 minutes.

Question.... What year car are we talking about? I think I heard somewhere that the timing marks are different for different years.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Try to keep up Sparky!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    ...timing is really the only thing I havent done yet.

If it has a crank with two marks, use the leftmost mark....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Try to keep up Sparky!

...timing is really the only thing I haven’t done yet.
    Yea I know I saw that, but figured I'd try a subtle method of pointing out the timing is more than likely the reason he is hearing the pinging. He seems to keep missing this as he rehashed the pinging issue yet again. :P

Im sure the fuel filter is as old as the car, 120k, do you think this could be causing preignition?? Or is my timing off?
    Im hoping it is either my fuel filter or the timing, & since the timing setting are probably equally as old I probably need it readjusted, but im a total n00b on this subject, & dont have access to a timing light.
    Are there any tuneup/meets going on any time soon, maybee someone wouldnt mind bring a timing light with them??
    I need someone with a timing light & some time to kill, who likes beer. Regardless if the seafoam/fuel filter solves my problem, im sure the timing is way out of wack.
    Now all I have to do is change the oil, & do the tranny / shifter / differential oil, put in new shifter boots, set the timing, & she'll be all ready for the autoX season

I keep missing it?? I just dont have a damn timing light...

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I believe you recently moved to a new place about a mile from me? PM me your number and I will call you when I get home tonight... we can check it in a matter of 5 minutes.

Question.... What year car are we talking about? I think I heard somewhere that the timing marks are different for different years.
    :afro:

Im sure the fuel filter is as old as the car, 120k, do you think this could be causing preignition?? Or is my timing off?
    Im hoping it is either my fuel filter or the timing, & since the timing setting are probably equally as old I probably need it readjusted, but im a total n00b on this subject, & dont have access to a timing light.
    Are there any tuneup/meets going on any time soon, maybee someone wouldnt mind bring a timing light with them??
    I need someone with a timing light & some time to kill, who likes beer. Regardless if the seafoam/fuel filter solves my problem, im sure the timing is way out of wack.
    Now all I have to do is change the oil, & do the tranny / shifter / differential oil, put in new shifter boots, set the timing, & she'll be all ready for the autoX season

I keep missing it?? I just dont have a damn timing light...
    OK so you have asked at least 5 times if it's the timing, what are you waiting for a different answer! Quit talking about it and check the timing for crying out loud!

BTW while autozone doesnt rent out timing lights, I have bought and returned one do mess with my timing. Sort of the same thing, just keep it nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    BTW while autozone doesnt rent out timing lights, I have bought and returned one do mess with my timing. Sort of the same thing, just keep it nice.
    No worries... I live right down the street from him and I bought the autozone special right after the Supercharger went on. We are going to try to hook up tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    If it has a crank with two marks, use the leftmost mark....

Chris
    Who's left?????
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

OK, Jiggerachi left here about 20 minutes ago. He explained that the car was pinging unless he used 93 octane gas. We checked his timing, and it was at 12. We dropped it down to 10 and he is going to see how it goes.

I must say, 1.8s are a lot harder to deal with then 1.6s. That intake resonator makes it very difficult to get a good view, and getting a wrench on the adjustment bolt is even harder. ONE MORE REASON WHY I LOVE MY 1.6!

Better yet, buy a '99+ and you won't even have to worry about adjusting the timing.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Better yet, buy a '99+ and you won't even have to worry about adjusting the timing.
    Nah.... too heavy! :-P

HATS OFF TO TITUS!!

For adjusting my timing, & more inportantly discovering where all my oil has been going lately. Looks like ill be replacing the CAS O ring soon. I read the DIY on the board, looks simple enough, I think I could tackle it. Any words of wisdom beforehand??

Oh yea, Titus, after the quick sprint around town in your car, my car feels like crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast