Thread: FS: NA Manual Steering Rack

Default FS: NA Manual Steering Rack

Selling an OEM manual steering rack from an NA Miata. Complete with inner/outer tie rods, but ball joint boots are torn. Nothing feels more responsive on the track than a true manual rack, and you can ditch the power steering pump and reservoir.
    Asking $100
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Ttt
    Polished Turd Racing

Mileage?

Unknown. I can't find the odometer on it.
    Polished Turd Racing

bump
    Polished Turd Racing

Bump. Will include a brand-new idler pulley/bracket assembly that will allow you to retain AC and ditch the entire PS system (or delete AC also) and sell as a package for $200 total. You can't buy the idler from Mazda anymore, and they often go for $200 by themselves. Do manual steering the right way, and enjoy the steering feel the miata was designed to have.
    Polished Turd Racing

Hey Mike, would a manual steering rack bump me out of STS? If not, then I'm interested in the whole package.

You would have to do a package conversion to a base model, including the rubber steering wheel, to be legal for ST* classes.
    Jason McDaniel

I have a rubber wheel you can have if you need to become class-legal for a national event. The key element for local scca competition is competitive advantage. If there is any argument to be made that a non-legal mod is performance-enhancing - even a little bit - then its considered bad form to do so. The steering wheel issue has been beat to death and is generally agreed to be a non-performance enhancing mod. You could add a leather wrap to an oem wheel legally. Jason is correct that a full package conversion is required to be fully legal, but you will never be protested or criticized for running a heavier oem item that is purely cosmetic. Same is true for power windows and mirrors.
    Polished Turd Racing

I'm very interested but I'd like to drive a Miata w/manual steering first. Do any of the NTAXS guys that you know of run a manual steering rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Nudnik View Post
    I'm very interested but I'd like to drive a Miata w/manual steering first. Do any of the NTAXS guys that you know of run a manual steering rack?
    X2 I would consider buying your rack too but would like to drive a car with one first. I am curious how different it is from a depowered one.
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

No idea who does/doesn't. They are found only on R-package and early base model cars. Best bet is a Keller's night or post on the FB page to ask. Might also talk to Gary at TDR.
    Polished Turd Racing