Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a helmet

Default I need a helmet

So I just did my 1st autoX event & realized that my helmet was 1 year too old to pass tech. That being said, I used a loaner & immediately decided I need to buy my own. That being said, I'm looking for some advice on where I can go try some on to find a good fit.

I live in Denton & work in west Fort Worth so pretty much anywhere in the metroplex is doable but I'd prefer recommendations in the Fort Worth area so I could check them out on my lunch break. Also, I would like to get into HPDE or some local track days in the coming year so do I need to buy an SA or can I get away w/an M & still run HPDE or track days?

Smiley's over in Garland. worth the trip. lots of choices and sizes to try on and wander around the store for a bit to make sure you are comfortable for more than just a moment or two.
    95 r white

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Hallett requirement says Snell 2005 or later. Eagles Canyon requirement says M or SA Snell 2000, 2005 or later. Apex says M2000 or SA2000 or newer. An M rating is fine for autocross.

I have no idea of where you could go in Denton or Fort Worth to try helmets on.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

There is also a Smiley's in Sherman. But, it's a much smaller store. It's on west Hwy 82.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

There's a Smiley's in Kennedale but I personally haven't been to it... 700 West Kennedale Parkway, Kennedale, Tx 76060. Bonus is it's right down the street from mazda heaven if there's anything you need there
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

You can get open-faced M2010 (or M2005) HJC helmets for cheap on eBay.

I've got a brand new in box HJC CL-31 M2005 open face in gloss black for $70. Includes carry bag. Size M
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I've got a brand new in box HJC CL-31 M2005 open face in gloss black for $70. Includes carry bag. Size M
    What size? I've got a kind of big head.

PST located on the track grounds at MSR-C has a nice showroom and a few demo helmets.

I bought mine from the G-Force close-out site (http://gforce.shptron.com/c/helmets_closeout-helmets), but it looks like their size selection is getting really limited now. I used the G-Force sizing charts and ended up with a comfy helmet.

Most bike shops

It is a Medium, but hjc helmets run big. I find it much roomier than my pyrotec Med.
    Polished Turd Racing

West side Ft. Worth
    Motorcycle shops between hwy 80 and hwy 30 on Alta Mere Dr /183.
    Motorcycle shops at 820 S service road between hwy 80 and hwy 30.

Open face is cooler. Maybe better vision. There are concerns about full face and airbags.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    It is a Medium, but hjc helmets run big. I find it much roomier than my pyrotec Med.
    Bring it with you to the ER event on Sunday. I'll try it on then if I can make it out.

Ok
    Polished Turd Racing

Hey OZ, I sent you a PM.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Order a zamp off amazon. They are cheap and not shit. Do not buy a open face helmet.

http://www.zamp-racing.com/auto.html

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    Order a zamp off amazon. They are cheap and not shit. Do not buy a open face helmet.

http://www.zamp-racing.com/auto.html
    Problem is I need to try one on to see what size I need. My head seems to be a little odd shaped in some helmets.

Zamps run extremely small to size. I normally wear a M and can sometimes wear a small and I ordered a M zamp, couldn't even get it over my head. Changed to a L and it was still tight. Returned that and get something else. HJC AR10 is a good middle level helmet for around $300 and runs pretty true to size.

Also if you want a CF helmet for a cheap price check out Black Armor helmets. A racer in Austin owns the company.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nudnik View Post
    Problem is I need to try one on to see what size I need. My head seems to be a little odd shaped in some helmets.
    buy a small and med off amazon and send one back. That's what I mostly do. I have a RZ-34 Small and have a normal sized head.

Smiley's has zamps in the show room also.

Do your head a favor, and head over to Smiley's to try them on. When I bought mine from them, I found significant differences between different models & brands of helmets marked with the same size.

I'm surprised to hear that there are tracks that allow M helmets, and SA2000 helmets, if you can swing it, pony up the extra money for an SA2010.

C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast