• Ford

2 12.50%
  • Other???

7 43.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USED Truck

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Default USED Truck

Well, I think it is time for the Molester Van to go to another home mrsthang says she'd drive a pickup, but not my trusty old second home

So the question is what kind of full size pickup would you suggest?

Edited 5/2 @ 10 AM
    Please note the title of this post is USED as in - non-paying member of TCB
    Last edited by onething; 05-02-2005 at 09:01 AM.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I'd get a Chevy! I've had a couple and ya just can't beat a 350!

Plus Sammm has a Ford, and he is evil!

Default U.S. Made Toyota

Toyota! I've had a couple of chevy's and wasn't impressed. Way too many service visits, mostly due to Transmission troubles. I personally have a chip on my sholder against Dodge, but My brother and brother-in-law both drive Dodge Crew Cab Diesel's and they both are happy. I've also got freinds with Ford's, and they like them. But, If your going to buy it and keep it, a Toyota holds it's value better, and it's just plain built better.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Unhappy

Ford or an import.

I wouldn't drive no GM or Dodge. :ncool:
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I say go Chevy.... (despite those above..)

I've got an 89 suburban that's indestructable.. Not to mention that parts for the thing are dirt cheap.

Example.. the bleeder screws were solid with the caliper, so they broke when I went to bleed the brakes.. A whole new loaded front caliper assembly was $20!
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

If she doesn't mind NON-Molester vans, I have a loaded 2000 MPV that I am readying to sell.

I got a feeling Onething is not going to be getting anything new, which will limit the full sized off shore offering available at low low prices!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I got a feeling Onething is not going to be getting anything new, which will limit the full sized off shore offering available at low low prices!
    I guess that depends on what onething considers low, low prices!

Well, onething, what do you consider low, low price?

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I guess that depends on what onething considers low, low prices!

Well, onething, what do you consider low, low price?
    Well he is a non-paying member of Team Cheap Bastard!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I voted Ford (big shock I know). Like POS noted, any full-size import is going to be big bucks (even used). I wouldn't buy a Chevy or Dodge (new or used), but that's a personal choice. The Ford straight-6 will run forever will little trouble IMHO.

I think that POS may be on to something...

LINKIE

But I dig the first 4x4 for onething! It would give you that commanding view needed in DFW traffic.

used? Then I would run away from the Big Three, pay a little extra for Toyota! More upfront cost, but lower cost of ownership. I bought my very last (ever) used Chevy Truck in '99, it was a '97 model. That thing fell apart faster than I could fix it! I didn't want to, but had to sell it, as I couldn't afford to keep it.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I understand the consideration of imports, but I'm looking at the <$5k range if possible. (older truck)

Thanks for all the input and official 3Bean search linkies

Now that I have better defined my requirements, maybe you can better understand them.

I still haven't ruled out the small import segment, and have looked at a couple of Mazdas. Any input to that possiblity will be appreciated too.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

I WANT IT!!!!!!!!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I have lots of friends who have lots of miles on 90's full size chevy's. Go for a 95+ to get the vortec. I have also had a 2001 F150 that I liked a lot. 97+ F150's are plentiful and cheap.

Under five grand is going to limit your choices. I'd be tempted to stretch that figure a little bit, only because the more you can spend upfront, likely the less you'll need to spend on upkeep in the future.

Also, are you just going to use this as a commuter? Does it need to be able to tow, and if so, how much? 4wd or 2wd, or no preference? Short cab, extended cab, or crew cab?

I'd stay away from GM products, but only because I know more people that have had problems with full-size Chevys than full-size Fords (especially if you do any towing). The newer Dodge's are pretty nice, but I'd stay away from any Dodge you'd be able to find under that price cap.

For $5k, assuming nothing more than light duty (or no) towing, and a short or extended cab, here's what I'd recommend (in order):

1) Early '90s Toyota pickup, or a Tacoma, if you can afford one. The pre-'95 small trucks were just called Toyota trucks (no official name), after the '95 redesign they were called Tacomas. Both generations are available with your choice of 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder engines, 2wd or 4wd, short or extended cabs (you won't find a crew-cab Tacoma in that price range, since they only started making them in '01). These trucks are - quite literally - bulletproof, and with minimal maintenance will run nearly forever. Hundreds of thousands of third world militias and terrorists can't all be wrong.

2) Early '90s Nissan pickup, or a Frontier, if you can afford one. Same thing as the Toyotas, these trucks were available with your choice of 4-cyl and 6-cyl engines, 2wd, 4wd, short cab and extended cab. You might even be able to find a high-mileage 2wd crew cab Frontier under your price cap. Good, reliable trucks that are the functional equivalent of the Toyotas - they just didn't offer quite as much power, or the Toyota name, which means their resale value didn't hold up quite as well (which probably makes them a better used car buy, but I'm partial to Toyotas).

3) '97+ Ford F-150. This is the truck that really started the full-size truck revolution. The 2wd versions ride as close to a car as any full-size truck is going to, and as Sammm already pointed out, the Ford inline 6s are pretty good. The modular V8s don't have quite as much grunt as the GM pushrod V8s do, but the rest of the drivetrain will hold up better in the long term. Under your price cap you're probably looking at a higher mileage, 2wd, short cab, I6 model, but I still think this would be your best choice in full-size trucks under your price cap.

Personally, I'd hunt out the best Toyota truck I could find that met my needs (V6 or I4, 2wd or 4wd, etc.). If I was given the choice of getting back any of the vehicles I've owned in the past, I'd take my '95 Tacoma in a heartbeat - it was a great truck.
    Last edited by altiain; 05-02-2005 at 10:33 AM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    So the question is what kind of full size pickup would you suggest?
    I think some of you are missing a minor detail in the request here by suggesting a tacoma/Frontier...

What are the main uses you're looking for in this thing anyway? Hauling stuff? people? towing? Give us that and we'll have better suggestions...

FWIW, my 89 Suburban (what 2400 will get ya) was $2400.. It'll be a LONG time before I have to sink enough money into repairs to make up for the cost of a Japanese truck with a smaller motor.
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    I think some of you are missing a minor detail in the request here by suggesting a tacoma/Frontier...
    Read the whole thread, Sparky...

Quote Originally Posted by onething

I still haven't ruled out the small import segment, and have looked at a couple of Mazdas. Any input to that possiblity will be appreciated too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    What are the main uses you're looking for in this thing anyway? Hauling stuff? people? towing? Give us that and we'll have better suggestions...

FWIW, my 89 Suburban was $2400.. It'll be a LONG time before I have to sink enough money into repairs to make up for the cost of a Japanese truck with a smaller motor.
    What's that Suburban get in traffic, though... maybe 8mpg?

I think your Suburban is a good choice if you're looking to carry a small army through a mud bog, or find a roomy tow vehicle on the cheap, or if you like spending a lot of money on gasoline. However, if you're just looking for a commuter vehicle, I'd suggest one that is slightly easier on gas - and easier to park - than that battleship .

Then again, if she's just looking for a commuter vehicle, I'd suggest something other than a pickup anyway, unless you have another compelling reason that you need to have a truck around.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast