Thread: Emission testing

Default Emission testing

I have a 95m, planning on moving to tx possibly before the end of the year. In IL, my car is exempt from emissions. I was wondering if the TX emissions laws are similar.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You won't be exempt. Annual safety/emissions inspection is required on cars <25 years old.

That's not good. We don't have a safety inspection here. Will I have issues with me removing my steering wheel with a aftermarket one? Perhaps I'm better off keeping it registered in IL?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I don't think state inspections care what steering wheel you're running.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I don't think state inspections care what steering wheel you're running.
    +1

Besides emission, they will check to see if your horn works, all lights work, windshield wipers work, tread depth of your tires, gas cap holding pressure. And, every time I go in with the top down, they have to drive the car to see if the brakes work. Also, they will check to see that you have insurance.

I'm sure there are other things they look at, but I can remember anything else right now.

And, IIRC, beginning in March, 2015 Texas will go to one sticker on your windshield (we now have two). So everyone will have to get their car inspected and present proof of passing the inspection to the tag agents before they can register their car.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Thanks for the info. I only mentioned the steering wheel since the air gag is removed, wasn't sure if that would violate a safety inspection. So for the emission testing on my year car, is that a roller sniffer?

Yes, they will 'roll' your car since it it pre-OBDII.
    1995 M Edition

The <25 years old only applies to cars in certain pollution zones. If you are registered in non-emissions counties, there is no emission inspection and only a safety inspection. You can visually tell what counties have emission inspections by their green inspection stickers. Non-emission counties use blue inspection stickers.
    Jason McDaniel

also, if you plan to title/register the car in TX you need to get it inspected prior to going to the dmv. You will need what they call a green sheet. That sheet will be white. Don't fold it or crumple in any way. It's a chore finding inspection places that do the roller tests. When you get ready post up and people can give you locations in specific areas.
    '92 LS3

Thank you everyone for all the helpful information

Huh, I could have sworn that airbags were an inspection item, and I'm an inspector...
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...nCriteria.aspx
    Guess I'll check "the book" tomorrow at work.

You're gonna need a VI-30 (the green sheet), proof of insurance, and proof of ownership when you go to register the car.
    http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/new-to-texas

and you can still get a safety sticker in an emissions county, I do it all the time at work. You just have to get an inspection done while the initial two year new car safety inspection is in effect. Not like that applies here, but i'm pedantic :P

March first can't come soon enough, then we won't even have inspection stickers...

Thanks for the links effse7en. I learned a few things:

1. I've previously been told by inspectors that my car was too low (coilovers) and would fail if not 4" at frame rails. Apparently that's BS, because what I can see regarding altered ride heights, the only inspectable items are lighting distances from the ground.

2.) I've also been told that my cone air filter will fail inspection. Apparently more BS, as that applies to OBDII cars and not my '90 (also taking into account it does not say "for off road use", CARB, etc).

(Hey Doug. Pretty sure they are going to drive it whether it's top up or down. It's comical to see the big guys trying to squeeze into my lowered, hardtop car. All I can think of is "Fat guy in a little car").

Please let us know about the airbag (swapped wheel) issue. The way I read the links, it's not an inspection item (I've passed with out airbag and swapped wheel before).

Sorry for the drift..

I have a Nardi Classico on my '96. I also have a K&N come filter on a TDR intake. Passes inspection just fine. Had for the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by MC70 View Post
    I have a Nardi Classico on my '96. I also have a K&N come filter on a TDR intake. Passes inspection just fine. Had for the last couple of years.
    Mine has passed with a Nardi wheel and now 5 point harnesses just fine.

96+ will be OBDII, they are a lot more lax on that basically no CEL and you pass with safety inspection. With cars as low as ours they won't even be looking under it to see if it has cats most the time.

If you have a OBDI on the rollers you go and your car has to have a decent tune or cats/egr on it still. I can't wait for my Mustang to turn 25 so I can get to safety only inspection!
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Quote Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
    ...You can visually tell what counties have emission inspections by their green inspection stickers. Non-emission counties use blue inspection stickers.
    I have a red sticker and live in an emission testing county.
    '92

That's the ASM sticker. You have a car made before 96 but not yet 25 years old, so you get the 'ol sniffer up the tail pipe.

Absolutely make sure you have your proof of insurance first or the testing center will turn you away.

Also make sure you have a good cat, EGR is OK, get the engine/cat nice an hot (operating temp), and have 93 octane in it. If you've bumped your timing up you may need to retard it back to stock settings.

I've never had an issue with a pre-OBD-II car. The NB I traded off for an NC was a different story. It's a bitch to get the onboard computer to a "ready" state after removing a battery or having the battery go dead. It takes a lot of short and long trips to get it down to just one not-ready state which is enough to pass.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!