Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PCA event @ TMS 4/18....

Default PCA event @ TMS 4/18....

I plan on attending the PCA event this Sunday.

I see that Tn is in also.
    Who else?

Chassis Designer

I'm in also.

link?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    link?
    http://www.pca.org/mav/Events/Calendar.htm

AutoX #2 @ TMS: Sunday, April 18.

ack.. rough call..

SCCA at pennington?

PCA at TMS? TMS is only like 3 miles from my house too.. hmm....
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

PCA at TMS? TMS is only like 3 miles from my house too.. hmm....
    You could drive it to Pennington, but that will be the most seat time you get all day..... :)

Come out to TMS and let us oogle over your new car. Then, if you want more, drive out to Pennington. That's what I'm doing.

I think I'll go to PCA instead standing around whole day long at SCCA.

Default oops--TMS 4/18

I forgot about this forum section and posted a note about the PCA event in the events section. Y'all take a look there. If someone knows how to move it to here, please do so.

I hope I'll see more of you guys at TMS. I think Iain is running points with SCCA...which is a shame because he's good at kicking Porsche butt!

Maniac Mitch

Hey Maniac,
    You said you have seen the course layout. Do you have an image of it we could take a look at?

Default Re: oops--TMS 4/18

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Mitch
    I think Iain is running points with SCCA...which is a shame because he's good at kicking Porsche butt!

Maniac Mitch
    Yeahhhhhhh...... He really should give up SCCA and go play with PCA. So should Jon W.. And JRW. And...*.

Hey Maniac, one of these days I really will run a PCA event. I've been out to one (last year in the TMS small lot), and it (1) looked well run, and (2) didn't have 8,000 entrants. Everyone here knows why I don't run their events, but I'm guessing next season that won't be an issue...

* This from Kestrel, who's only chance to get a trophy this year is if all other CSer's go play somewhere else! :P
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I've seen a printed copy of the national course map...and this Sunday the course is supposed to be very similiar. I don't have a copy of the map.

Anyone that wants to run the event and wants more info about the course that I can't share on a public forum email me privately at
    mitchwil @ flash . net without the spaces of course. You'll be glad you did. I think it will be a good course as far as AX courses go...but I'm not an avid AXer.

Hope to see you guys there...and I mean it about letting me know if you think there is a problem with the course or the event flow. I'm on the committe running the national event this summer and we need to get all the kinks out of the course and the procedures around moving cars in and out of the running. You will see that it is not run like a SCCA or ER event. I hope you'll think it is better. But if you think there are issues with the way it's run I'd like to hear. Something constructive with a suggested solution would be best.

The national event will have like 500 cars over 3 days...it's going to be gruelling. Much like SCCA nationals...it's REEEEEEALLLLL important to a lot of people.

Maniac Mitch

Oops...I lied...sort of. I have a copy of the course map for this Sunday, but it was given to me back on 10/26/03 at the first meeting. I'm not sure it's still the one to be used. I can scan it in and post it somewhere if anyone is interested. But I can do better if you email me privately.

It's definitely looking like a Miata course.

Maniac Mitch

I forgot about this forum section and posted a note about the PCA event in the events section. Y'all take a look there. If someone knows how to move it to here, please do so.

I hope I'll see more of you guys at TMS. I think Iain is running points with SCCA...which is a shame because he's good at kicking Porsche butt!

Maniac Mitch
    Mitch, are you going to be out at TMS for the autox on Sunday?

I've got to say I'm really starting to lean towards running with the PCA on Sunday and leaving John Garcia & the other two tech inspectors to their own devices at the SCCA event.

I posted a question to the PCA mailing list about allowing V710 usage on Sunday. If they allow them, then I think I'll probably go to the PCA event, as I really like these tires (almost as much as I don't like Pennington), and I'd love to get another event on them before I have to send them back.

Anyone know offhand how many events we can "drop" for SCCA points this year? I think it's at least one, which means I can skip Pennington on Sunday and still kick some ass for the season.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Anyone know offhand how many events we can "drop" for SCCA points this year? I think it's at least one, which means I can skip Pennington on Sunday and still kick some ass for the season.
    IIRC isn't it your best of 7 that count towards the year end total??

To all--
    My map I discovered I've had since Oct is useless....it's not what we plan for Sunday.

Yes, I'll be there Sunday...working my position for the national event, and turning in a crummy time for a Miata.

BTW, I got to run at MSR recently on the Azenis I have and now have no plans to buy any other tires...the Azenis are good enough for this old fart.

Iain, I don't have a clue whether you'll be able to run the 710s or not. As far as I'm concerned you should be able to, but I'm not working tech at this event like I usually do. Hopefully someone will respond to your post soon. If there is no response in a while I'll jump in and say "why not?" and hopefully get the ball rolling. There may be concern that if your tread does separate, you could lose control of the car and hit someone.
    We have refused to allow people with cords showing to run many times...at least when it's noticed. Have you heard what happens when the tires do what Kumho is concerned about? In a nut shell, if you hadn't asked I don't think anyone would have noticed.

Maniac Mitch

There may be concern that if your tread does separate, you could lose control of the car and hit someone.
    We have refused to allow people with cords showing to run many times...at least when it's noticed. Have you heard what happens when the tires do what Kumho is concerned about? In a nut shell, if you hadn't asked I don't think anyone would have noticed.

Maniac Mitch
    That may be the case, but I prefer to know what's going to happen in advance - if I did show up on Sunday with the V710s and they said "nope", then I'd be SOL, as there is nowhere I could get the V700s mounted on Sunday morning for the event. I'd rather know in advance that the V710s aren't kosher, which means I'll just bring a new set of V700s instead. I'll run either one or the other (preferably the V710s), but I won't run on street tires, which means I need to know what R compounds will be accepted in advance.

I think JRW had a small chunk of tread come off one of his V700s at MW when the splice separated, but that was on a more abrasive surface at higher speeds. I haven't heard of any "explosive decompression"-type failures, even on the tires I saw from a NASA event where large sections of the tread have peeled - the carcass remains intact.

As a reference point, John Baker ran his V710s at the MSR event last week with no problems. And like I said in the email, my V710s don't show any signs of impending splice separation at all.

Truth be told, and in light of what happened to JRW, I kind look at it the same way the John Baker expressed it to me in an email earlier this week - I've got as much (or more) trust in my used V710s (with 28 competiton runs on them so far), than a brand new set of Ecsta V700s, which haven't been run at all.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Help!

Besides AX school, I never run in PCA event.

Do I have to pretech before Sun or I can tech at TMS?

What is the time?

Thanks in advance!
    Gabriel

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong
    Gabriel
    Member of TCB since I bought a cheap 99 Sport!
    I think that cheap 99 Sport makes you a member of Team Lucky Bastard!

Gabriel,
    The tech is done at the track. Be there by 7:30am so you can register, get teched, etc. Tell them you're a novice to their events and they'll hook you up with an instructor who can get you rolling. Also the web-page for AX has several links that provide a lot of good info to anyone interested. See http://www.pca.org/mav/events/AX.htm for the info and links. Note the link to register on-line. It's best to register on-line, but you pay at the track when you checkin at registration. I think you'll like it, so come on out!! Let me know before 4pm today if you have anymore questions.

See you there,
    Maniac Mitch

Thanks Maniac Mitch! See you at TMS.
    Gabriel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast