Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No more front plates??

Thumbs up No more front plates??

I saw this on Texasracingscene.com

Article 9 would amend the Transportation Code to require the Department of Transportation (TxDOT) to issue only one license plate for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is issued. The bill would allow a vehicle that displays two license plates to be operated on a public highway if TxDOT assigned both plates for the registration period as a set of plates. This article takes effect September 1, 2005.

Code:

ARTICLE 9. REDUCTION IN NUMBER OF LICENSE PLATES ISSUED SECTION 9.01. Subchapter A, Chapter 502, Transportation Code, is amended by adding Section 502.010 to read as follows: Sec. 502.010. ISSUANCE AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATE. (a) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, including Section 502.180, the department shall issue only one license plate for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is issued. (b) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, including Section 502.404(a), a person is entitled to operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays only one license plate if the plate is attached at the rear of the vehicle. A person may operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays two license plates if both plates were assigned by the department for the registration period as a set of plates. (c) In any provision of this code that relates to the issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of plates," the term means only one license plate. SECTION 9.02. The change in law made by this article regarding the issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of Transportation applies only to the issuance of license plates by the department for a registration period beginning on or after the effective date of this article. For a registration period that begins before the effective date of this article, the department shall issue license plates as required by the law in effect immediately before the effective date of this article, and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose. SECTION 9.03. This article takes effect September 1, 2005.
    Last edited by Majik; 05-06-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    A person may operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays two license plates if both plates were assigned by the department for the registration period as a set of plates. (c) In any provision of this code that relates to the issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of plates," the term means only one license plate. SECTION 9.02. The change in law made by this article regarding the issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of Transportation applies only to the issuance of license plates by the department for a registration period beginning on or after the effective date of this article. For a registration period that begins before the effective date of this article, the department shall issue license plates as required by the law in effect immediately before the effective date of this article, and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
    Damned legal speak...

I read this: provided you're still in the current registration period and were issued two plates, you have to run two plates. Otherwise, after this supposed article's effective date, then one plate only is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Damned legal speak...

I read this: provided you're still in the current registration period and were issued two plates, you have to run two plates. Otherwise, after this supposed article's effective date, then one plate only is required.
    My head just blew up... I guess you are right, I tried not to read it.

I only got one plate with the car, & I bought it from a GPFD fireman. So I guess either way im running 1 plate in the back.

This is a nice change, but it would suck if like on my old civic, the front bumper has a rediculous flat spot molded in the middle of an otherwise nice looking curvy bumper, just for a damn liscense plate. So the plate in the front actually looked good, as opposed to no plate. They couldnt spend $.50 on a bracket & 2 extra screws(which I would have gladly paid an extra dollar for the car), they had to mold it into the damn bumper. Man that drove me crazy, im glad I traded that car in...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    My head just blew up... I guess you are right, I tried not to read it.
    Yea I skimmed through it & thought, maybee they will, maybee they wont. Ill wait untill somebody cares enough to understand it & put it in laymans terms for me. I know better than to try to read those things.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Majik on behalf of the Guvment
    "...<blah, blah, blah> a person is entitled to operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays only one license plate if the plate is attached at the rear of the vehicle. A person may operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays two license plates if both plates were assigned by the department for the registration period as a set of plates...<blah, blah, blah>
    It looks like the operative word here is "may"... i.e. a person MAY display two plates, but doesn't HAVE TO.

Is this real? Has this "law" really passed, or is it just under consideration?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

But... But... But... It says that when it says "set of plates," it means only one license plate??? ACKKKKKKKKKKKK

House Bill 3540 (HB3540) passed the Texas House yesterday!

This is the first time this issue has come to a vote in the Texas legislature since 1995! This is exciting!

Now would be a great time to voice your support to your Texas Senator...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    But... But... But... It says that when it says "set of plates," it means only one license plate??? ACKKKKKKKKKKKK
    Article 9 would amend the Transportation Code to require the Department of Transportation (TxDOT) to issue only one license plate for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is issued. The bill would allow a vehicle that displays two license plates to be operated on a public highway if TxDOT assigned both plates for the registration period as a set of plates. This article takes effect September 1, 2005.
    So the next time you get plates, you can can get one! Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    So the next time you get plates, you can can get one! Sweet!
    Still has to pass the Senate and get signed off by the Governator...

Here's a great summary of the rest of the bill...
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Lobbyists from 3M will kill it. They provide the reflective coating. That's part of why it was stopped when they tried in 99'. Not sure about TC's 95' date, I didn't own a miata then, but I do remember the buzz about it fall 99'.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Did it actually get a vote in '99? I may be off by 4 years... In any case...

This time it's part of a larger "Cost savings" bill. We may get lucky.

In 99 there was a budget surplus, quite the opposite of what it is now. I think other states have saved millions a year by requiring only 1 plate.

Chris

So when you are pulled over by the police, how do they know if you were issued two plates vs. one? I don't carry my registration receipt in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    So when you are pulled over by the police, how do they know if you were issued two plates vs. one? I don't carry my registration receipt in the car.
    They have computers in the police car!

All you have to do is wait until your registration expires, then tell them you lost a plate, and for an extra five-bucks they issue you new plates! Or you automatically have to get new plates ever 7 years or so anyhow.

....Or get vanity plates.

HI OFCR
    SPRCHG
    RACER X
    SPD RCR
    NO BRKS
    CHK CAR
    AX PUNK (for POS)
    TRK RCR
    BUR
    or
    If 3Bean sold his car to judge Lance Ito...
    BUR ITO :)
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I guessing trackfiend may be against this legislation. May cut down on his sales of Stiffy front plate brackets if we no longer need a front plate.....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I guessing trackfiend may be against this legislation. May cut down on his sales of Stiffy front plate brackets if we no longer need a front plate.....
    I was thinking that same thing... I just didn't want to say it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast