Thread: Pilot Bearing Shot on clutch

Default Pilot Bearing Shot on clutch

Ok, So I am pretty sure the throwout bearing is shot on my 91. Can anyone recommend someone/place to get the clutch replaced that will not take both an arm and leg?
    Better yet, if someone with the abilities and time wants to make some extra cash.... and teach me a few things about Miatas in the process let me know.
    I'd like to try and get the thing replaced this weekend or sooner if possible.

Thanks

Ace Miatas and More in Lewisville or Track Dog Racing in Dallas/Garland are the two best options. If you need to keep it on a really tight budget, you might try to track down Jerome (JDSM) or Mitchell Palmer, as they do a lot of side jobs.

What is the symptom that makes tyou think it is the TO bearing? The pilot bearings are notorious for failing on miatas as well, along with clutch/slave issues.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Yeah, I was just going to say, I've never split apart a Miata motor/tranny that didn't have a crunchy pilot bearing.

OTOH, you can drive your car for a long time like that, so I think you can slow down and schedule/shop around. If you go in there, take a good look at the rear main seal too. Might be an opportunity to plug an oil leak (but don't fix it if it ain't broke, LOL).

Lots of noise when in neutral and foot of the clutch, now squeals a bit when clutch starts to engage. It will squeal when sitting at a light and foot on clutch.

Chassis Designer

If you plan on keeping the car, I would recommend replacing the whole clutch system.

It's the cascading upgrade situation. Since you are pulling back the tranny:
    Replace the TO bearing...
    Might as well replace the clutch disk...
    Might as well replace the pressure plate...
    Might as well replace/service the fly wheel(go lighter too)
    (or just go to the 1.8L flywheel/clutch/pressureplate since it has more holding force)...
    Might as well replace the pilot bearing...
    Might as well replace the rear main seal too...
    Might as well replace the seals and caps at the back of the motor...
    Might as well replace the slave...
    Might as well replace the master...

If you do a complete overhaul, prime all the fluid parts, because my recent overhaul would not pedal bleed. I had to use a vacuum bleeder.

Jay Johnson