Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Equipe Rapide Challenge Cup #3 March 29 lone star park

Great event yesterday!

I have a request: On the published event results, instead of showing the car color could the car type be shown?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    However I am not a fan of the shorter courses at LSP.
    x2 I prefer the longer courses. Going over the hill into a blind gate, or hitting the hill into a Nascar turn is pretty cool. In general the elevation changes makes it more interesting.
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCann View Post
    It really wasn't all that much shorter from ER 1-2 if you consider PAX times (which is suspect to begin with due to wet conditions). I wasn't using data yesterday so I don't have the hard facts. I would be curious as to see the course length from yesterday compared to ER #1, ER #2, and NTAXS #1. I know the Eberleins have been using data this year amongst others...could you look to see how much shorter event 3 was compared to the others?
    Just because the course is long in seconds or distance doesn't make it a big course. You can make any length course you want just doing laps around a single cone.

I am not trying to turn this into a complaint or argument. You posted that you liked the shorter course and I would hate for the event organisers to have that be the only opinion they hear. I didn't really like LSP until we started doing the full size courses there, and in particular using the hill to make tricky blind elements (which many courses have gotten away from as well) I would love to do a course there where you crossed the hill three times...

The logger I use put ER #2 at 3,656 feet and ER #3 at 3,724. I wasn't at #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    Just because the course is long in seconds or distance doesn't make it a big course. You can make any length course you want just doing laps around a single cone.

I am not trying to turn this into a complaint or argument. You posted that you liked the shorter course and I would hate for the event organisers to have that be the only opinion they hear. I didn't really like LSP until we started doing the full size courses there, and in particular using the hill to make tricky blind elements (which many courses have gotten away from as well) I would love to do a course there where you crossed the hill three times...
    I understand where you are coming from 100% and didn't see it as a complaint. I like blasting over the hill into a blind element too. Maybe it was just something about it being a different layout from the last 5-6 events there that made it fun. I know Mike said that he did the grid and course set up this way "to keep it fresh".

Up and over the hill 3 times would be a riot!
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

IMHO the course Sunday, setting aside site elevation changes & based on elements, speed & challenge was the closest i've seen to what we get in Lincoln at that site.
    steve

I definitely love the course yesterday. Kudos to Mike for designing an awesome course and the crew for making it a pretty much smooth day. I thought the slalom was gonna be boring since it was so long and right to the finish, but the spacing and having the last couple of cones offset made it a fun finish.

One thing that I haven't seen yet at LSP is having the start and finish at the opposite end of the course towards Beltline. That way we could use the other side where grid was and have blind elements over the hill and coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by revs View Post
    One thing that I haven't seen yet at LSP is having the start and finish at the opposite end of the course towards Beltline. That way we could use the other side where grid was and have blind elements over the hill and coming back.
    Not a board member but I think I've heard them speak about this...

If the trailer can't see a spun and stalled car on the other side of the crest, they can't call for a red flag. That's why the trailer has always been up there. That being said...nothing says they can't park the trailer on the other end and have a guy on the radio at the top of the hill whose sole purpose is to notify control of a spin on the other side.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

That was really fun yesterday guys! I really enjoyed the way we setup the course and the Grid location was good too, as well as the spectating from the top of the hill. I like the longer courses at LSP as well, but the variety is good. Mix it up in my opinion. Short, long, etc. Weather was great and competition was strong. - DA

It just so happens that I have a design that places the trailer down in the NE corner along with start finish...

We we will see what the BOD says about it when it is finally proposed for an event later this year.

SteveE, very perceptive. 4 of the elements are lifted from previous Nationals and Spring Nats courses!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

A few things, the rough section at the start of the long slalom and thru the first 3 or 4 cones was so bad that I can hear the bottoming out of the F500 over the motor on my videos. They were loud and didn't feel good either, plus they really upset the car, so much that I only took 3 of my 6 runs because I didn't want to abuse the car any more than what. When we ran that area before it was usually the other way and rather straight over it, no transitions, so I think the roughness is minimized in the other direction. Doing that or slowing down the cars or making 1 move over the rough area would be greatly appreciated by me. Transitions over rough areas make them worse.

I like going over the hill, but 1 worker not paying attention or a car spins and doesn't move fast enough or the entrant doesn't go over the hill in the right area or at the right angle to the next gate and we will have bigger problems. Safety first! Control is busy enough communicating with the corners with cone and DNF transmissions and if they are talking to one corner when someone's trying to tell them to hold the start because of an issue, well you know. It's fun but to me not really worth the risk.
    SpinOutF500

'07 FM F500

I worked the long slalom and it was really hammering peoples suspension as they transitioned and braked. It was interesting some of the lowered Miata took the bumps better than other cars. SteveE was flying through that section.

I will be negative about the grid location. It was covered in gravel and all the rocks cover the Hoosiers when you come off course. Going back to the start line had to snake my way up there to avoid the gravel.

Mark52 I went to set the result to show car type instead of color on the results. But they were still entering cars. It never got done. But as a Mazda driver I understand why you want to have car type listed. I think it would also help Rick Ruth on PAX numbers if he knew what kind of car some of you hot shoes were driving. Other wise all silver cars pax numbers go up next year. :)

Oil Changer

Fun course and seemed to flow well, had a few rough spots as has been mentioned.
    Congrats Brad, wish I been closer in times. I guess I need to push harder.
    Good luck at the Tour, wish I could go.
    Paul
    2014 FoST
    1982 BMW320i

Thanks for the constructive feedback Paul, KB and Gary, among others. All of it is being added to my notes on the site and courses we've run there. I'm sure that there are viable solutions to be had, if I put on my thinkin' cap.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Good course yesterday. Kudos

if it's maxing out the vastness that is LSP, I thought 2014 #4 was greatness. Long, free, and interesting elements. Other than my dumb butt finding a way to spin in a straight line it was sure fun to drive.

Lost of good parts to the course, maybe needed more medium speed sweep or 90's, but not sure where they would fit. RPMs stayed up most of the time, based on the shift lights.... see video link below :)
    Last edited by Webspoke; 03-31-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Courses much longer than 60 seconds get tedious and hard to remember. There are a certain number of elements you want in the course. Another issue is the limitations of the timers. We can only have 4 cars on course at a time or the computer freaks out. I would have to place my vote against having a section of the course that can't be seen by the trailer. It is a safety risk that can be avoided.

This week's course was fast and fun and the right configuration to win the supreme commander $5.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

I think Webspoke was linking to this video.

Last edited by general default; 03-31-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinOutF500 View Post
    1 worker not paying attention or a car spins and doesn't move fast enough or the entrant doesn't go over the hill in the right area or at the right angle to the next gate and we will have bigger problems. Safety first! Control is busy enough communicating with the corners with cone and DNF transmissions and if they are talking to one corner when someone's trying to tell them to hold the start because of an issue, well you know. It's fun but to me not really worth the risk.
    +1, I am ok going over the hill when the starter can see it and release the next car after the first car is past the area but I would not want to do it in the middle or the end of the course. The only time I really enjoyed it was the first event when we went over it at an angle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123