Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NTAXS Autocross #3, 5/16/15, TMS Bus Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Desob View Post
    with the Pro Solo event being a national event will they get upset event though I don't expect to be competitive if I show up on a set of 180 tread-ware tires?
    I doubt you will get past inspection. If you do someone will just protest you out. I'm in the same boat. I needed tires at the beginning of our local club starts and all that were available in my size were 180's. The local clubs realized the tire supply problem and are allowing us to run down to 140's. The Nat'l folks have their heads too far up their anatomy and just don't give a crap.

I ran 180s at the Tour in College Station and nobody cared. I came in last place which may have been the reason nobody cared.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

If you run them you will not be prohibited from running, nor will you be failed at tech, since they are safety-focused. If you beat anybody that cares, they can protest you and your runs will be dsq'd. It is very likely that nobody will protest you if you finish out of the trophies and/or contingency money spots, but it is not unheard of for someone to protest way down in the ranks simply because they want to finish higher, which is their right. A local racer was protested and dsq'd at the Texas Tour for an exhaust issue, even though they were in 11th (but the protester was in 12th)

You can avoid all issues by running in whatever R-comp class (*SP and up) your car goes in, since there is not a minimum treadwear number at that level. You will likely be seriously underprepped, but you can participate and keep your results without worry. Truthfully, if you are there to have fun, you probably don't care about finishing at the bottom or dsq'd runs, and if you do care about being competitive and where you finish, then you've already sorted out your tire issues or are planning to place an order asap.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Can't say I go into a competition not wanting to win or at least finishing in a respectable spot. Not much fun in that. I haven't done a Nat'l type event because I know I'm not good enough. I'm progressively getting better but still very inconsistent. However I was thinking about attending the Pro in Mineral Wells because you get 6 shots per side or 12 total shots at a decent time. Even I should be able to get lucky at least once. I could take a shot at running with my 180's and hope I don't get protested if I do better last place. Everything I've heard about the Nat'l scene tells me it's a long shot of not being protested. As far as sorting out my tire issue. I can only afford one set of tires a year. I'm not blessed with an unlimited budget nor an understanding spouse of my ridiculous addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by BatoLoco13 View Post
    Can't say I go into a competition not wanting to win or at least finishing in a respectable spot. Not much fun in that. I haven't done a Nat'l type event because I know I'm not good enough. I'm progressively getting better but still very inconsistent. However I was thinking about attending the Pro in Mineral Wells because you get 6 shots per side or 12 total shots at a decent time. Even I should be able to get lucky at least once. I could take a shot at running with my 180's and hope I don't get protested if I do better last place. Everything I've heard about the Nat'l scene tells me it's a long shot of not being protested. As far as sorting out my tire issue. I can only afford one set of tires a year. I'm not blessed with an unlimited budget nor an understanding spouse of my ridiculous addiction.
    There was not a single protest at Nationals last year. 1300+ drivers, no paper thrown.

And I do not mean this in a dickish way at all, Jeffrey, but I doubt your 180tw tires are as good as anyone who comes in with fresh BFGs or Stones. My first national event I did was at El Toro about 5 years ago when I had an automatic Sky Redline. I found some used-up hoosiers and thought I'd crush...and then I realized that three of the five drivers in my class had sticker tires and I got crushed. If you go to the Pro, you'll have a great time hanging out with people you know, meeting those you don't, drinking free beer (if that's your thing), and getting 12 runs in at a national-caliber event in our own backyard. And, most importantly IMO, you'll be supporting out local region. Without local support, we won't keep these awesome events in town.

As I look at the roster of drivers in your class, I see a bunch of great guys. Jason Marshall...really nice guy from Austin. He let me codrive his car once and it was great! Stephen Hui is a great guy from the PNW region. Kenny Baker is a rockstar too. Jeff Israel is an old friend who moved to Austin from Phoenix. They are all cool guys who would welcome more competition to the class, I'm sure!
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Not sure what you want to hear. Show up and run. If you get protested, oh well, you still know how your times stack-up against others. You can seek out a codrive in a class-legal car, run in an SP class, or run your DD tires. If you think most of us are operating on big budgets, you are misinformed.
    Polished Turd Racing

Nothing against you Ozmdd or the local scene. The Nat'l office knew of the shortage in tires but chose to bury their heads in the sand. I'll just get another year under my belt on the local level and hopefully continue to improve. Or at least figure out how to turn my car in the correct direction after a viscous spin. I can always try my hand at the Nat'l scene next year. No biggie. Was just trying to inform Desob on his options. Same as mine.

Brad ... I only know Kenny Baker of the group and already knew I was way out classed. So wasn't going in with much hope. The other guys sound cool too. Despite the Frisbie thing not happening to me. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. Plus I've hear of other stories. I'll probably try out the practice Pro with the ER folks in a couple of weeks. See if I can get a hang of this Christmas Tree thing. I'll go from there. Thanks for the 411 on the other drivers. Do love the locals and the support you get as a driver. Heck even makes it worth putting up with Ozmdd

Seat time? Sign up for the ER School the Saturday prior to their Mirror Cross. $40 for the school includes entry in Sunday's event.
    1995 M Edition

Question

What does any of this drivel have to do with last weekends NTAXS event?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^It's kind of like peeing in the shower...it's all autocross.

Love me a good shower pee'in.

Quote Originally Posted by BatoLoco13 View Post

Brad ... I only know Kenny Baker of the group and already knew I was way out classed. So wasn't going in with much hope. The other guys sound cool too. Despite the Frisbie thing not happening to me. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. Plus I've hear of other stories. I'll probably try out the practice Pro with the ER folks in a couple of weeks. See if I can get a hang of this Christmas Tree thing. I'll go from there. Thanks for the 411 on the other drivers. Do love the locals and the support you get as a driver. Heck even makes it worth putting up with Ozmdd
    Batoloco - come on and join the fun!... Kenny B is driving my car at the Pro, and I'm sure he will beat me handily, but I'm hoping I will learn something and have some fun. And while I can't speak for the rest of the class - no protests from me even if you beat me!

I agree about the tire thing. I sent a letter to the SEB suggesting that the tire eligibility deadline be set the week before the first National event of the season. Doesn't mean the tire makers will have tires any sooner, but it does mean that 1/2 season won't pass before we have any sense of what tires are out there, and maybe the availability will ramp up sooner.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by mec51 View Post
    no protests from me even if you beat me!
    Oh yeah I did such a great job of that at the last SCCA event ... LOL. BTW ... Nice last run!

I'm only showing up because my car is on the back of the t-shirt.

If anyone got any shots of my Franken-miata in action, I'd like to see them and get a sense of body roll and stuff.
    Polished Turd Racing

Nice Pics, thanks for posting them

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234