Thread: 1.6 Miata 02 Sensor

Default 1.6 Miata 02 Sensor

How much does the old single wire 02 sensor play into the power equation of the old 1.6's?

The POS seemed to be running richer than normal the other day when I took her for a spin.

o2 sensor can make a world of diff. I think the universal ones are only $19 at Autozone... When was the last time you changed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    When was the last time you changed it?
    Believe it was in 1992.

Im probably due one of those too, dammit.

Talking

OK so I changed the O2 sensor tonight, it was a piece of cake! Ya gotta love the AutoZone loan a tool, the special sockets fit and I had the old on out and new one in less than 10 minutes! My biggest problem was fishing the wire out from behind the coil packs and fishing it back into position!

I drove the POS to return the loan a tool don't notice any difference in the car except for the fact it is idling a bit quicker than before.

Hey this is a timely thread. Todd O. and I (I held the pipe and tools) changed out the non cat and non O2 sensor midpipe with a new stainless two piece midpipe Brian G. sent with the car this afternoon. We couldn't find the O2 sensor for the midpipe bung so I am driving around with an old spark plug serving as a plug until I get the right sensor. So should I go to a Mazda dealer and get theirs? Does it come with a grommet? Will my CEL go away? I hope this is all I need to pass inspection cause I need it to get the car put in my name.

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS
    ... old spark plug serving as a plug ...
    Now there's a TCB nominee if I ever saw one...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

If you are talking about the second o2 sensor after the cat, then I have a mazda unit new in the box. I bought it about a year ago, but ended up just rewiring the old one. And yes it does come with a grommit that goes through the floor to behind the drivers seat. BP3B-18-86Z $139.95 is what MazdaMotorsports sells it for. Check your PM. I also have an Auterra that you can use to see why you are getting the CEL.

That goodwin midpipe is a piece of art. Too bad it has to be under the car where no-one sees it.

Chris
    Last edited by Kags1969; 04-28-2005 at 10:50 PM.

Thumbs up

I was headed to work and noticed I had run 160 miles on a half tank of gas, this car has never in the three years I've had it gone 160 miles on a 1/2 tank of gas!

I guess it really did need a 02 sensor!

Sweet. Maybe you're all the way up to 90 horsepower now.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Sweet. Maybe you're all the way up to 90 horsepower now.
    Aw now you hurt my feelers! :ncool:

Hey and for you Team CB types Bosch has this deal going = http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/Promotions/GasCard/

So to continue this saga, my front o2 is bad so I bought a Bosch 4 wire. Do you have to splice this one in? I was going to try to do this myself instead of driving to MSR for help. The old one is still hooked up (I think) so i guess i can just note which wire goes where, Right?

You have to make things simple for me, as you realize I ran the first SM race Friday at TMS with 20 degrees plus timing! (So I don't see little marks very well anymore, what can I say)

Getting this car inspected is taking a while.

Mac

Oh, BTW the SM ran like a V8 for three laps in the race and then at 225 degrees had the power of a Yugo.

Mac

Yeah, you have to splice the connector on for the Bosch 4-wire O2 sensor. Thankfully, it comes with very detailed and pretty clear instructions.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw