Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stranded for the first time tonight...

Default Stranded for the first time tonight...

The alternator died on the '99 Sport tonight. Nothing says "crappy evening" like waiting two hours for the AAA flatbed.

Got the car home and into the garage. Now I need to find an alternator - ASAP - since I'll be doing graduation/family stuff all day Saturday and I'd like to make the TMS event Sunday. That means I've got to find one and install it by Friday night.

Three questions:

1) Any ideas on who might have one in stock when I start calling around tomorrow morning?

2) lugnutjon suggested Mazda Heaven. Would you buy a junkyard alternator? Or am I better off buying a new/reman one, even if it means sitting out the race this weekend?

3) Any special I should watch out for when replacing the alternator? I've never done one before, but it doesn't look like it should be that difficult.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Disco the Battery first!

I'd try VatoZone and get a re-manufactured one; at least you know it's been tested. Plus you can get them to test your old one to make sure your not having other issues!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Disco the Battery first!

I'd try VatoZone and get a re-manufactured one; at least you know it's been tested. Plus you can get them to test your old one to make sure your not having other issues!
    Funny thing that - I pulled into an Autozone when I noticed the "low voltage" light was coming on when I came to a stop. They read it, and they were pretty certain it was the alternator.

Unfortunately, I'd have to special order one through them (none of the local stores had one in stock), and it wouldn't be here 'till next week.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Unfortunately, I'd have to special order one through them (none of the local stores had one in stock), and it wouldn't be here 'till next week.
    Well that stinks...... You can try the other parts guys, I'm not so sure If I'd be willing to try a junkyard alternator on my everyday car.

One other strange thing I noticed - while I was trying to make it to Autozone, during the time that the "low voltage" light would come on when I stopped, I noticed that the coolant temp gauge was indicating lower than normal. Mine normally points to 12 o'clock when warmed up, but it was pointing closer to 10:30 or 11 o'clock. Noticeably different then I've ever seen it when the engine was warmed up, and it wasn't moving. Coolant level looks fine, and the engine was definitely fully warmed up during the time that this happened.

Is the temp gauge on the '99 cars electrical or mechanical? Could this be related to the alternator dying, or am I looking at solving some other problem once I get the alternator fixed?
    Iain

it is electrical, as with all other miatas. the 99+ and the 90-94 are just more accurate;
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

you can borrow mine shortterm if you want to get one through mazdamotorsports or something. I will be putting the motor back in this weekend hopefully, but probably wont start it until next week sometime.

Chris

Give Gary a call... I bet he has one.

Mine normally points to 12 o'clock when warmed up, but it was pointing closer to 10:30 or 11 o'clock.
    Daylight savings?? I am guessing that you tried all of the parts stores. Maybe Mazdaspeed could next day you one tomorrow.

Edit: Nevermind. $337.80 from Mazdaspeed.

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

We've had this guy do stuff for us before....a hole in the wall but knows his business. Universal Starter & Alternator 3622 Samuell Blvd (214) 827-1404. I realize that's kinda far from you, but maybe there's somebody out your way that can do a quick, reliable rebuild.

Oh, and just FYI...there's a guy in that same area that does a great job with steering columns...very reasonably priced.
    Last edited by rjosey8385; 05-12-2005 at 06:35 AM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

Also try your local NAPA store.. they seem to be a lot better than autozone/o'rileys at getting odd parts quickly...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Thanks for the tip on NAPA - they've apparently got one in their local warehouse, and the Keller store said they'd have it in for me this afternoon.
    Iain

Thanks for the tip on NAPA - they've apparently got one in their local warehouse, and the Keller store said they'd have it in for me this afternoon.

no problem... That Keller store has helped me more than a couple times with obscure bolts for the suburban and oddball parts for the Rx7 that I couldn't seem to find elsewhere..

That's where a lot of shops order parts from, so they're good about getting stuff quickly..

edit - wait, don't you live kinda far form the keller store? It's just down the street from my office?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

About 10 or 15 minutes from it. I'm just south of N. Tarrant Parkway off of Davis.
    Iain

Bummer about the part failing. Just think how much faster your car will be if it has some voltage. (.01 seconds is all it takes to win in autocrossing sometimes.)

Tip: Maybe you should not plug in the Pizza warmer.

Think of it is another opportunity for a MME tech article.

Mazda sure is proud of their replacement alternator. Mine is not gold plated.

Yeah, I'm not paying $300+ for an alternator, even if it is gold plated.

No need for a tech article - removal is pretty self explanatory (see attached). Getting the lower mounting bolt loose was a PITA though - the steering rack & subframe make getting a breaker bar in there an exercise in contortion.

Now I just have to find a ride to NAPA this afternoon...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Iain

How's that workin out for ya?

Well I just assumed you lived somewhere over by UTA I guess...

I'm already up by NAPA, and I get off at 5..

Gimme a call, we can work something out, either a ride, or a parts delivery if you still need it..

Eric
    817-680-9968
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast