Thread: Miata is the answer...

Oil Changer

Default Miata is the answer...

Hello everyone. Ive been wanting to get into racing for quite sometime and autocross seemed like a good place to start. After much research everything I read pointed at the Miata to start with, so I purchased a Miata in September and now here I am. I've been to two events so far with the BMW club and ER this past weekend, so far I'm loving it. I'm completely open to any suggestions and advice and it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

seat time...seat time....
    1995 M Edition

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    seat time...seat time....
    +1, and don't be afraid to ask questions. If you can find a willing 'veteran' to walk the course with, do so.

Oil Changer

Thank you. I'm definitely going to take that advice. I've already signed up for the event this weekend with the NTAXS and with the SCCA at the end of the month, and I don't plan to miss any of the novice walk throughs. I'm trying to avoid making any major modifications to the car right away(the urge is strong), and paying for seat time first. What I've gathered from reading various forums is that I probably won't be able to out-drive my current set up until I become a better driver anyway. With that in mind I've noticed other drivers are hitting their rev limiters and even shifting into 3rd on the same courses I'm running, and since I've yet to hit my rev limiter in 2nd I believe it to be true in my case. I figure other than seat time I'll spend money making the Miata safer first. The guys over at Track Dog told me a scary story about someone who was rear ended by a truck in his Miata. The truck went over the bumber, into the driver compartment, and the only thing that kept the truck from rear ending him in the head was his hard dog. Although it isn't required for autocross, a roll bar will be my next upgrade for sure. Hopefully a good used one will pop up for cheap in the classifieds in the near future.