Thread: A real "Flying" Miata

Default A real "Flying" Miata

Always check your mirrors. A video of what happens if you don't.
    Miata Spec race. Not sure but I think they just waved the white flag as they passed the flag stand.

Miata crash

I think that's why Robert J. (red Spec Miata that runs in DSP at our local autocrosses) decided he didn't want to run in real wheel-to-wheel races. In many races, Spec Miata seems to unfortunately be kind of a "demolition derby" affair ...

In all fairness, stuff like that is pretty rare. Also, note that everybody seemed to be just fine. You have to consider the number of spec miatas that there are running around the country. As far as I know, its the most popular roadracing (by participants) in the US right now. SM cars are usually built quite in terms of driver safety. I was about three cars away from a pretty severe crash at TWS a few months back and the guy walked away. He spun exiting the infield (at the apron transition) and smacked the wall HARD on the drivers side. I saw the car come off the ground when it hit.

I got hit in the drivers door during my first qualifying session ever. It seemed like a massive wreck at the time but there was barely any noticible damage to either car.

I know from the outside it can look like a demo derby sometimes, but its really not that bad. Any kind of 'real' racing is going to have SOME contact. Thats the main reason I don't suggest driving your spec miata to the track...competitors know that and they also know that you have to drive it home.

Don't be scared of road racing! Its soooooooo much fun. I find it really hard to make myself autox anymore after seeing the alternative. Lack of a garage and a race car to put in it is all thats keeping me from doing it right now...I haven't gotten to borrow the 'company car' Spec miata lately....maybe I need to start complaining about that.....

I think the General was just showing us an interesting video. You won't find too many people on this board afraid of road racing... or at least of track days, since most of the Miatas here are still street cars. Kinda difficult to be competitive in wheel-to-wheel in a truly streetable car.

As for me, the only reason I don't spend more time at the track right now is because my Miata is my daily driver. After four years and more than two dozen lapping days, I was "served with a side of Bacon" ( ) at a track day last October, and it reminded me why the cardinal rule of the track is "Don't race it if you can't afford to walk away from it". My Miata might be paid for, but as long as it's still my daily driver, I'll be taking a little hiatus from open track.

Hopefully, that self-enforced vacation won't last too much longer...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

altiain is absolutely right. I'm not scared of road racing at all. And I promise that when my Lottery Ticket comes in, I'll be building and racing a Spec Miata. I would love to give it a try.

My comment was more from a "practical" standpoint. For us poor slobs with no Lottery money (or 7 figure paying jobs ), spending $12k-$15k on a race car and then having it munched on a regular basis is just not in the cards.

And while I understand
    rubbin' is racin', SM does have a reputation for a lot of rubbin'...

Thats cool, just didn't want people to get the wrong idea!

Shiny side up and all...

I just seem to be finding these videos. Here is another SM race.
    No big bumps this time.

Miata video

Yeah!!!!

Its so funny hearing him yell. Thats what I think the entire time, but i dont' think I verbalize it. Then again, I've never had a camera in the car....