Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Turbo, need help tuning or a good reliable tuner in DFW

Tire Warmer

Default Going Turbo, need help tuning or a good reliable tuner in DFW

Hey guys, I am brand new here.
    I have a 95' NA with springs, struts, wheels and a few extra goodies. I am in the process of acquiring all the necessites to go Turbo and am going to need help tuning my car. I am a student so I am on a budget therefore am not trying to make a Dyno Queen just would like good reliable power for my DD. Let me know, I live in North DFW by the way. Thanks guys Cheers!

Realize that tuning typically adds $500-1000 too the cost of your build, plus dyno time, cost of the MS or other standalone ECU. That's how $500 eBay turbo kits become $3k builds. Better off working within the capabilities of the abilities of the OEM ECU and some cheap piggybacks.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Counterpoint to OZ: it also depends on how much you want to study and learn about tuning. If budget it your biggest limitation (not time), you might enjoy reading up and learning about tuning it yourself. If so, spend some time on miataturbo.net. READ, though, don't ask noob questions until you have read A LOT. There's a very low tolerance for noobs there and a high troll factor. That said there's also a lot of tuning info.

Good points. If you are really willing to learn how to tune, which is tedious and a somewhat long process, then it can be affordable. If you are planning to daily the car and are dying to crank up the power, it's likely that you'll take shortcuts that end up blowing the motor. The reason tuners are hard to find is that it's a complex process that requires a lot of knowledge and patience.
    Polished Turd Racing

Also, OZ's last point above "Better off working within the capabilities of the abilities of the OEM ECU and some cheap piggybacks" is true. You can probably pick up a fairly cheap used FM Voodoo box or some other piggyback and get a low boost turbo system running reliably and well for not much $$. You can always upgrade later to a replacement ECU of your favorite flavor. That way you're up and running and fixing only one issue at a time.

Tire Warmer

Thanks guys for your comments.
    As far as the piggy backs go, I honestly feel its a Half-Ass way of doing things and thats totally not me. I perhaps jumped the gun by saying anything about a budget as that word means different things to different people. I would like to start off first by getting a MS2PNP and a WB and get tuning NA for a bit before I introduce FI. My total starter budget will be around 1800-2000 and I already have a brand new GT2554r sitting in a box. I was wondering if there is someone here in the area that could possible take me under their wing and teach me more about tuning as I am currently taking my doctorate and do not have unlimited time to troll turbomiata.com to find bits and pieces of info here and there. I appreciate everyones patients and hope I am not asking too Noob of questions. I have some understanding of FI as I had a Stg 2+ MS3 Gen 1 that was sold for a NA E46 M3 that was sold to pay for life and now I drive a NA8 Miata

If you don't have time... you don't have time. Seems silly to try and modify a car when you don't have time and $2k will go quick if you are doing it right.

On tuning a single car... "taking me under their wing" means do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceClutch View Post
    Thanks guys for your comments.
    As far as the piggy backs go, I honestly feel its a Half-Ass way of doing things and thats totally not me. I perhaps jumped the gun by saying anything about a budget as that word means different things to different people. I would like to start off first by getting a MS2PNP and a WB and get tuning NA for a bit before I introduce FI. My total starter budget will be around 1800-2000 and I already have a brand new GT2554r sitting in a box. I was wondering if there is someone here in the area that could possible take me under their wing and teach me more about tuning as I am currently taking my doctorate and do not have unlimited time to troll turbomiata.com to find bits and pieces of info here and there. I appreciate everyones patients and hope I am not asking too Noob of questions. I have some understanding of FI as I had a Stg 2+ MS3 Gen 1 that was sold for a NA E46 M3 that was sold to pay for life and now I drive a NA8 Miata
    E46 M3 to pay for life? Doctorate but can't spell patience? Smells fishy...
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

These two make valid points.... I hate when they do that.....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    These two make valid points.... I hate when they do that.....
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

If you are even mildly serious about a graduate degree, stop wasting time (ours and yours) on a project you aren't going to start, much less finish. Never met a doctoral candidate in ANY field that would spend ten minutes on trying to budget engineer a hobby. If you've already got a Masters in a field and can afford to pursue the PhD, then you're either rich or up to your eyeballs in debt. this is not the path to pursue.
    Polished Turd Racing

Too many people agreeing with each other in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by slowchildmiata View Post
    Too many people agreeing with each other in this thread.
    You're a swell guy!
    Last edited by OZMDD; 01-05-2016 at 01:12 PM.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    You're a fucking moron!

Tire Warmer

You guys all make me laugh, so quick to judge. Whether or not you believe what I have stated means nothing, I know the truth and thats all that counts. Reason for this project is that I have become custom to somewhat quick cars and BECAUSE of a 200K doctorate have had to re-think things financially. For you haters "suck my balls," but for you somewhat decent individuals what I meant by saying "taking me under their wing" was to help possibly look over some logs, provide tips since from the title of this forum we all live at a similar altitude. I understand I wasn't very clear in the beginning and wish to apologies for that. If there is anyone here that has something intelligent to add to this so far 'mess of a threat' please do, if not then please don't waste your time as you are just going to fall under the typical Forum asshole who just blasts anyone looking for some info.
    And to that normal person thank you for seeing I am just looking for honest help and advice.

So you want just the tips?

"provide tips" is another way of saying do it for me in tuning world. You admittedly know nothing and admittedly refuse to do research... And we are the assholes? If you had a log or a clue with direct questions you might get a reasonable response.

Tire Warmer

OK, if that is what it means "in the tuning world" then I don't need tips because I would like to learn for myself. And perhaps the asshole comment was a little harsh but in defense I don't take being called a liar very well as you can tell via my response. Thank you for making a reasonable statement that clearly indicates your confusion(s) about my 'indirect questions.' Is there a reputable tuner that your guys can recommend here in the DFW area that is familiar with the MegaSquirts ECU and the NA6/NA8 miata? I am trying to get a reliable tune for a DD, nothing crazy just something a little more fun then the current Naturally Aspirated version of my Miata. Thank you

Tuning, well that costs money. Either you pay someone else, or you spend a lot of time and resources learning and get the correct tools to do the tuning yourself (also a lot of money). If you are dead serious and want to do it all yourself, then learn how to solder digital electronics and build a megasquirt system yourself. If you find time to do that and study for a PhD, then write a book on time management and become a gazzillionaire instantly.

Oh and we are all not the same "altitude." I would expect someone earning a PhD to catch and correct such silly nonsense. As for me, I'm done with formal education, thanks goodness. I stopped after a masters because there is no way in hell I'm going to spend 3+ more years getting a PhD since I have a family, job and hobbies.

Let me put this in engineering terms: quality, cost and time..... pick 2 and the other is out of your control. So now let's take that to cars. Fast, cost, time..... you figure out what your situation is and be honest.

If I had to write a formula to describe the car hobby it would probably end up something like fast = time * cost^2. Enjoy the hobby......
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

Is there a reputable tuner that your guys can recommend here in the DFW area that is familiar with the MegaSquirts ECU and the NA6/NA8 miata?
    You weren't called a liar... Your story just doesn't make sense. Which it still doesn't. Grow up and focus has been the theme of this thread.

Any tuning shop can handle that. You have the car, the ecu, and the money then they will help.

Everybody wants to 'learn'... speaking as somebody who taught tuning >10 years ago.... It is a waste of time teaching anymore. Again you have to make an effort before taking up somebody else's time. Welcome to the real world.

You guys all make me laugh, so quick to judge. Whether or not you believe what I have stated means nothing, I know the truth and thats all that counts. Reason for this project is that I have become custom to somewhat quick cars and BECAUSE of a 200K doctorate have had to re-think things financially. For you haters "suck my balls," but for you somewhat decent individuals what I meant by saying "taking me under their wing" was to help possibly look over some logs, provide tips since from the title of this forum we all live at a similar altitude. I understand I wasn't very clear in the beginning and wish to apologies for that. If there is anyone here that has something intelligent to add to this so far 'mess of a threat' please do, if not then please don't waste your time as you are just going to fall under the typical Forum asshole who just blasts anyone looking for some info.
    And to that normal person thank you for seeing I am just looking for honest help and advice.
    I just want to see how you're going to incorporate "suck my balls" into your thesis.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast