Thread: GM and OnStar AD... ugh...

Default GM and OnStar AD... ugh...

I don't know if you've seen the OnStar ad the GM is pushing lately. It features a bunch of kids spouting lines like, "Who's gonna unlock the doors, who's gonna find the way when we're lost, blah, blah, blah..."

That damned ad is making sick.... never, never will I own a GM vehicle... especially when Big Brother, er... OnStar isn't even an option... rather, it's forced down your throat.

Ugh...

yeah. and now they are pushing the "GM" imiage, tieing thier name to all of their brands. like saab, holden, the better cars.... etc...
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I don't know if you've seen the OnStar ad the GM is pushing lately. It features a bunch of kids spouting lines like, "Who's gonna unlock the doors, who's gonna find the way when we're lost, blah, blah, blah..."

That damned ad is making sick.... never, never will I own a GM vehicle... especially when Big Brother, er... OnStar isn't even an option... rather, it's forced down your throat.

Ugh...
    I totally agree...what a load of "Well, we're not doing very well selling cars the old-fashioned way....let's guilt people into buying our crap". That commercial has solidified my resolve not to buy GM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by rjosey8385
    That commercial has solidified my resolve not to buy GM.
    But they are also going to start displaying the GM square badge on all of their vehicles. Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    But they are also going to start displaying the GM square badge on all of their vehicles. Does that help?
    Well, dagnabbit! That DOES sweeten the pot, doesn't it?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

But Ruth, it only works if you subscribe to it...and it ain't cheap. However, I did use it when I ran my diesel pu out of fuel on I 465 that rings Indianapolis. They were very helpful in telling me that they would contact a garage to come and tow my truck, and trailer with Neon attached to a dealership... I declined, and finally got it started after following the instructions in the manual, plus some exploration of my own...that was three hours on the side of the road I won't soon forget. Never, ever run your diesel out of fuel!
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Well there is a good use for OnStar...

There are a couple of web sites that show you how to hack them to turn the GPS unit into something you can use with your laptop for directions

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by OzCop
    Never, ever run your diesel out of fuel!
    Phil - Doesn't yours have that thingy on the overhead console that shows how many miles you have left????

My issue with GM isn't that they're putting tracking devices into the vehicles of those who desire to be located (hey, I have TollTags...now they can even tell when I go out of town and for how long I was gone), it's the guilt-them-into-it attitude of the commercial. Hey, my towbeast is a Ford dieselwhore...I don't foresee trading it in on anything but another Ford at this point.

Never, ever run your diesel out of fuel!
    Yep... almost as bad as filling your empty diesel pickup up with 31.2 gallons of regular unleaded gasoline...

Don't ask my why I know that...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I totally agree...what a load of "Well, we're not doing very well selling cars the old-fashioned way....let's guilt people into buying our crap". That commercial has solidified my resolve not to buy GM.
    Nah its even better if you have kids, then they ask you if our car will do the stuff they talk about on the commercial! Sales by Guilt, nice touch…..

Yes Ruth, it does have the digital stuff on the dash, and yep, it said I had another 44 miles to empty, just a half mile before it began to sputter, with my exit sign where I normally fill up in full view. :mad:

I really like this truck though, and the 19.5 to 20 plus mpg local driving is about as good as it gets for a 3/4 ton truck. Highway is more than 22, and has hit 23...hard to beat a duramax for fuel mileage.
    OzCop
    MSM

I really like this truck though, and the 19.5 to 20 plus mpg local driving is about as good as it gets for a 3/4 ton truck. Highway is more than 22, and has hit 23...hard to beat a duramax for fuel mileage.
    'cept when you have a Powerstroke that gets around the same

I might be wrong... But my gripe with the advertising is that they don't tell you when the battery gets hammered in the accident Onstar does not work.

'cept when you have a Powerstroke that gets around the same
    I wasn't going to chime in on this, BUT since you brought Ford in to this...

I regularly get 21.3 around town and I've hit 24 on a long road trip driving the Dodge...

--
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    I might be wrong... But my gripe with the advertising is that they don't tell you when the battery gets hammered in the accident Onstar does not work.
    DOH! Nobody engineered in a backup supply!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Well, then maybe my mileage isn't as good as I thought. Most folks with Fords tell me that their mileage sucks, but I'm sure it's all in how hard/easy you drive it. Cummins drivers are to be envied if they get mileage better than 23...
    OzCop
    MSM

Well, then maybe my mileage isn't as good as I thought. Most folks with Fords tell me that their mileage sucks, but I'm sure it's all in how hard/easy you drive it. Cummins drivers are to be envied if they get mileage better than 23...
    I'm not easy on it, but when my foot is in it, it drops to 16 (towing). If I'm towing and on a flat road, I'll see 20. With slight inclines, though, it decreases to 17. I have NO complaints about the mileage with the truck...it has exceeded my expectations all around.